Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Martin Audio F2B

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAMPION Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2008 at 10:43pm
Sticks n Stones
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2008 at 10:50pm
Now I wonder where they came from.....

They look really smart now.  Just a shame they weren't fully working when I was engineering on them regularly!
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2008 at 12:23am
Yeah Chris---We have put some serious time and effort into that system---only four out of twelve of the original Martin/ATC 15" drivers were there and working---we inherited some odd JBL and RCFs inside them with some dodgy re-cone kits fitted and also four of the original 15s with the cone kits ripped out---luckily we had four blown drivers on our stock shelves so in all we had to re-cone eight of the correct drivers which cost a fair old penny or two---All in all we worked it out that it has had over sixty man hours of work put into its total re-furbishment, but it was well worth it as it now looks brilliant and sounds even better---Three of those bass cabinets a side really is something to hear---cheers--John.  
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2008 at 12:29am
Only 4 original drivers working?  I know there were more than that at some point while I was working there.  However they used the same drivers in the monitor wedges so I guess some were kept for those maybe.

What condition were the 12" drivers in?  They were starting to sound a bit tired IMO.

What else did you take away?  Any of the amps etc?  Answer via PM if you'd prefer....

Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2008 at 11:12am

Yes, We thought that some of the drivers may have gone walkabout into other cabinets and you have just confirmed that---we did not buy anything else as they seemed to want to keep it all for some reason.

The problem with the 12" mid drivers was one that we have experienced many times in the past with phase bung mounted units---the dust covers had either disintegrated or become detached fom the cone--so a nice easy fix on them--set of new dust covers and they now sound as good as new. In fact the entire system now sounds awesome and the bottom end will get even better as the new cone kits in the 15" get "run in" over a period of time---cheers--John.

ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2008 at 11:21am
Hmm... interesting.  Rob was down there last week and all the Camco Vortex 6's that used to run the sub and bass have gone to be replaced with a VZ5000.  We thought perhaps you'd bought them but they must have gone elsewhere.

Apparently the new D&B C4 system sounds fecking awful.  Whoever set it up must have some real talent to get a D&B system sounding that wrong!  And for some crazy reason they're still using the Wembley BLines with their variety of drivers as subs underneath the  C4 bass cabs.

Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2008 at 2:15pm
Yes, I have heard from a couple of people now that the Martin rig p-ssed all over the new D+B system and that they have dropped an almighty b-llock by getting rid of it--if they had put the time and effort into sorting the problems out on the Martin rig and kicked the B lines into touch then they would have saved themselves many thousands of pounds and not finished up with a system considerably worse sounding than the original rig
robertnisbet View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertnisbet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2008 at 8:05pm
Hi Robbo.

The Blines are due to go once the four d&b B2s turn up... but we have no ETA on those as yet.  For the most part I shall reserve judgement on the rig until those get installed and the C4 tops get flown as they are supposed to be instead of ground stacked.  Oh, and the D12 amplifiers turn up... so you see, I'm having to engineer on a far from finished system at the moment - was particularly embarrassing at the first live show there this year (KANO - hip hop, loadsa sub and a French engineer - the French know how to do hip hop) having to apologise to the engineer and tour manager for the subs on one side not working and having to fault find on a system whilst they wait to do the scheduled sound check.  Turned out the installer had terminated the wrong cable coming down from the amps room...
Robert Nisbet
www.robertnisbet.com
Event Production Services
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2008 at 9:23pm
I do hope you're charging the venue an idiot tax for the gigs.....
Ibex View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2010 at 10:36am
Originally posted by Robbo Robbo wrote:

Martin Audio Mk2 Bass horn = Honk bin
Martin Audio Mk3 Bass horn = Kick bin
Martin Audio F2B Bass horn = Best kick bin

Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

John,does the F2b use a "special driver" in that it has to be within strict phyiscal dimensions to fit?..i seem to remember you saying very few drivers will fit this box?

Originally posted by Robbo Robbo wrote:

Yes Ian----The driver has to have a very shallow basket with a pretty slim magnet as well so obviously along with the original ATC 15" only drivers such as JBL 2226 or certain RCF models will fit-----We built some with PD 1550s in and had to stretch the box slightly to be able to fit them in without fouling the trapdoor.
I doubt if any of the Neo drivers will fit inside a standard F2B as their magnets tend to be quite tall.

Originally posted by madboffin madboffin wrote:

Well, the F2B was really a 215 Mk3 redesigned to fit the F2 form factor. The prototype was known as a 215F.

The speakers specified were the ATC PA100-375-Bass-LC-8ohm, badged as a Martin L1540
ATC type number decode:
PA = PA range (as distinct from Studio)
100= voice coil diameter, 4"
375 (mm) = cone size, 15"
Bass =  bass cone with double half roll surround and paper dome
LC = Long Coil (ie over-hung)

Originally posted by a1olsen a1olsen wrote:

The F2B utilized OEM ATC's with 100mm/4" Voice coils, bout 15mm copper edge wound coil in 7mm gab, massive ferrite magnet and double half roll surround on a curvy linear cone. Look for something similar with at least 3% efficiency. A JBL 2225H should do a good job here, even though it has a ribbed straight cone.The path length is actually quite similar to the F2B, but the implementation somewhat different since the F2B employs 'letter box' loading and is a bit of 2 front 2 front 'saxophone shaped horns.
Kind regards
a1olsen

Originally posted by Ibex Ibex wrote:

The only "plan" available for the F2B is shown in the user guide on page 37:

Martin Audio F2B+BSX

...unfortunately it's more a schematic representation.

gzg

Originally posted by djeddie djeddie wrote:

The thing with the 'schematic' shown by Martin is it shows the drivers near middle of the cab. They're not, mine are near the back.
(And before anyone asks, no I'm not going to measure them... they'll be up for sale soon if someone wants to do that).

I can't believe, that still no one hasn't measured the F2B and the TSP of the original LMC DLS540 drivers, altought they are already discontinued by martin a long time ago!
Someone who has got these bins, should be so kind and do it! Please!

...unfortunately the only thing we know about the F2B is, that they have a smaller rear chamber and a slightly shorter horn path, hence in less low end and more sensitivity in the upper range, compared to the F215 MKIII.
BTW, original F215 MKIII driver (LMC DLS15004 or DLS638 ???) TSPs appreciated as well!!!

Edited by Ibex - 22 March 2010 at 10:51am
Ibex View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2010 at 9:30pm
Comparison of F2B and 215 MKIII (1.0xPi):

F2B vs. 215 MKIII - ATC PA100-375 BLC - SPL
black = F2B - ATC PA100-375 BLC
grey = 215 MKIII - ATC PA100-375 BLC

BTW, the F2B layout is pretty similar to the schematic representation shown in the user guide...

greez
Heathrow_B_line View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heathrow_B_line Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2010 at 9:32pm

can you sim it with a pd1550?

Produce a killer sound. Take no prisoners.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>