Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Ported Enclosures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Martin Audio Single FSX

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Martin Audio Single FSX
    Posted: 21 March 2011 at 10:54pm
Got a feeling this should be in the newbie section, but sure it'll get moved if its in the wrong place!

Restoring a Martin F1 system and would very much like to build some vlf Martin Ausio single FSX copies. Never built or designed/copied a cab before but i'm reasonably handy with woodwork so going to give it a go.

The cab in question is fairly simple ported reflex design. want it to have the same footprint of my F1b cabs for ease of stacking and storage.

Original cab was double 18" 500ltr box so obviously just want to halve that. The F1b's will play down to 70hz ish so would like a useable frequency range of 30 - 70hz from this box.

Looking at the PD186 for this project as I can see lots of success with this driver in ported enclosures.

Here's my first attempt at bassbox pro (dont laugh!).....any tips or pointers in the right direction would be grand.

Orriginal FSX manual http://www.martin-audio.com/archivedproducts/datasheets/FSXdatasheet.pdf

Light travels faster than sound....That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!
Jimmer View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2011 at 10:56pm
ps I have opted for 3 100mm ports for ease of constuction.
Light travels faster than sound....That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!
Jimmer View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2011 at 9:33am
Ok definately doing something wrong here, just tried simming the B&C sub18 design to see if it came out alright and it suggested the port should be 700mm long as aposed to the suggested 320mm ......Is there a better software for this or am I just making basic errors? Cheers Jim
pfly View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2011 at 10:04am
I feel like a parrot or something just saying same thing again, but consider building F1 bass box sized reflex sub with BMS 18N860. You can reach low 20s and still have reasonable cone control. Not the most efficient thing ever though.
Jimmer View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2011 at 10:43am
Cheers pfly, dont need to go that low at all. Rig is going to be used for bands mainly and just want this sub to add warmth and depth to the system. I cant imagine id be going much under 35hz to be fair, just needs to pick up the low B on a five string bass.....32hz-ish!

Cant find any prices on that BMS driver but can imagine its quite steep.....hence why I was looking at the PD186 in a large box -250ltr, just need a hand with tuning the box.
Jimmer View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2011 at 7:54pm
*Edit* Stupid sarcy post Embarrassed

Edited by Jimmer - 27 April 2011 at 10:37pm
Jimmer View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2011 at 10:37pm
Right been playing with this a little bit and think ive got it looking a little more realistic and controlled!! The one above was tuned way too low and ran out of driver excursion way to early, would have cooked it LOL

This one is simmed with RCF LF18G401, seemed to get good results with this..

Cab is same footprint of f1b but alot more compact. Has four corner vents with an fb of 37hz and f3 of 42hz

I know this is basic stuff for you guys, but I am very new to this cab design and would very much aprieciate some pointers in the right direction.....am I close to a good reflex design? have I missed anything?

Cheers Jim

pfly View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2011 at 12:42am
I would still go ahead with BP6. F1b size is just about the right size for it. You'd get more where it matters.
james folkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james folkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2011 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by pfly pfly wrote:

I would still go ahead with BP6. F1b size is just about the right size for it. You'd get more where it matters.

+1.

piles of X1s complimented piles of 215 mkII using "back in the day" martin overlapping crossover points with devastating effect. had to delay the subs by 2m (crazy, but it worked), so something like a bss tcs804 on delay duty (i used a dcx2496), your mx4 controllers and bang! you're well in.

james.
mardy hippy.
 Post Reply Post Reply