Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Plan Requests
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Martin F1 Bass Box

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Martin F1 Bass Box
    Posted: 18 October 2009 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

Martin F1 Bass

Does anyone have further information about the F1 Bass Box?
Are there plans of this cab available? Which driver did they use these days?
What kind of folding does this cab have? What horn length?
Which driver would be suitable nowadays?
Ibex View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2009 at 10:14am
Originally posted by james folkes james folkes wrote:

i wondered about the f1b too looking back at this, most particularly the horn folding. was it an s fold like the s bin? it could be quite a lot like the wsx, kind of a predecessor at any rate.

the cerwin catalogue makes me laugh about reference to flying cabs, as in don't do it! i never knew they called spruce geese spruce geese either, i thought it was sound man slang.

james.
Ibex View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2009 at 10:42am
Was the Martin F1 Bass Box a FLH or a BPH design?

Martin Audio F1 Bass Box

I'm assuming that it was a BPH, because they were also designed to be flown as a near fil in combination with the F2 System... ?
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2009 at 10:45am
unless I'm going completely nut's, I always thought it was the WSX design

I always was told it was a 7ft FLH, Robbo?
Ibex View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2009 at 11:01am
Originally posted by mykey mykey wrote:

unless I'm going completely nut's, I always thought it was the WSX design

I always was told it was a 7ft FLH, Robbo?

...if it is so, then inside the WSX is a lot of wasted space Wink

F1 Bass 813   572   790 367
WSX 1028 x 574 x 936 552
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2009 at 3:29pm
Driver faces rear of cabinet with a single fold---It also fires through a letterbox slot and has three circular ports at front of the cab that vent the rear of the driver, so it is port assisted.
It is almost the same as the bass section of the VRS800 and VRS1000 cabinets.
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2009 at 4:03pm
good old Robbo

must be like a museum for old speaker cabs down at your warehouse
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2009 at 4:04pm
actually, that's exactly like an XXL  
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2009 at 4:22pm

Ibex View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2009 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by Robbo Robbo wrote:

Driver faces rear of cabinet with a single fold---It also fires through a letterbox slot and has three circular ports at front of the cab that vent the rear of the driver, so it is port assisted.
It is almost the same as the bass section of the VRS800 and VRS1000 cabinets.

VRS1000 low cut-off amounts to 35Hz
F1 Bass low cut-off accounts for 50Hz

In the spec sheet of the F1 Bass they make no mention of any port assistance. Confused

...furthermore it seems that the F1 Bass access panel resides on the top of the cab:

Martin Audio F1 back

maybe there is a second fold?

cheers
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2009 at 7:56pm
Access panel has got to be at the top of the cabinet for loading the driver.
The reason why there is lower bottom end extension on the VRS1000 is because the 18" uses the whole of the cabinet as its rear chamber, whereas the F1B has a much smaller rear chamber loading---There is no second fold as it is quite similar to Mykey's drawing but the three ports are on the front sloping section which goes right to the top of the cabinet. 
Ibex View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2009 at 12:07am
Robbo, thanks for your reply!
I realy like the design of these old cabs!
I want to build a similar system to the F1 by my own, but I have no clue what drivers would be suitable in such cabs. Would be nice to get some recommendations respectively which drivers had been used in the original F1 rather which were suitable to upgrate.
I don't think that the original drivers are still purchasable, and if they would be, then I won't get them without returning a damaged one to get reconed...

BTW, I know it's out of topic, but as you have owned a couple of F2B you should also know which drivers are suitable for this bin...?

greez
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>