Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Lighting Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Martin Wizard Extreme?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Martin Wizard Extreme?
    Posted: 21 August 2016 at 8:07pm
Hi all

I'm in the market for some "new" lighting. I'm a mobile DJ and do the usual weddings and corporate stuff, mainly in a 5 star hotel. For the corporate and Christmas parties, the rooms range in capacity from 300 to 600 seated. Most of the time, the biggest room will have the hotels lighting set up (10 Mac 500's) so I don't really have to worry about that.

For weddings are generally smaller and the fashion at the moment is heads on plinths. How the room looks when the bride and groom walk in is a lot of my job. For Christmas parties, my part in the room set up is much smaller.

After all of that, I'll get to the question. For weddings, I'm looking at a pair of Chauvet intimidator spot 255 (the 60w led). I was wondering if anybody has any experience with these in terms of spread and filling the room. I only have the cash for a pair this side of the new year. They can be hung from a gantry for Christmas parties and then stuck on plinths for weddings.

My alternative is get something suitable for the Christmas parties and then get the heads in the new year ready for the new wedding season starting. The alternative is 3 Martin Wizard Extremes which are going for a bit less than a pair of Chauvet's.

I was wondering if anybody has any experience of these lights. I appreciate they're old fixtures. From the Martin manual, power draw looks minimal for a 250 discharge which is a consideration.

I don't want to spend more money than I have to, but I'm happy to buy the right tools for the job.

Anyway, after war and peace, your thoughts and comments would be appreciated.

Gaffa tape is like the force in Star Wars - there's a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together
dylan-penguinmedia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2016 at 9:06pm
Wizard Extremes don't exist new any more, but they do a Rush Wizard which is a newer, cheaper version - plastic cased etc. Not had any experience with the new ones, they'll be lighter to bump about, but probably less well built and more susceptible to knocks. I have a feeling they use a lower power light source too but don't quote me on that, a quick google will tell you though.
I think for weddings etc they're a great biscuit tin.
djgorey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2016 at 9:31pm
Yeah, sorry, I should have said. These are the proper wizard extreme, not the "Rush" version.
Gaffa tape is like the force in Star Wars - there's a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2016 at 11:38pm
the extremes are an excellent floorfiller, easy to maintain, and solid. Loads of output for what they are, three would give far better impact than pretty much anything else on the market in that price range Thumbs Up
''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
krazyneil View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krazyneil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2016 at 12:23am
i have the efx600 very similar to the wizard ,but 150hti, there great room fillers one each side with two abstract gladiators is all i need for most gigs
GOD TOLD ME TO DO IT !!!!!
djgorey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2016 at 6:22am
Thanks for your thoughts chaps.

The ones I'm looking at come with floor stands so could, in theory, be stuck on a plinth for weddings too. It might be that I don't need to buy the moving heads at all.

Initially I'll be using the sound to light, master-slave mode, but certainly think that DMX would just add that little bit of control I need (colours, strobe, blackout) without me needing to worry about pan and tilt angles
Steve20131 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve20131 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2016 at 10:46am
+1 for wizards & scanners over heads.  Plus I think the wizard you can turn the lamp on/off via dmx
djgorey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2016 at 11:11am
So it turns out that one of the units is no longer available, but I'm going to sort out getting a pair, which, if the light is as good as I think , will still be awesome (and "saved" me some money too)
krazyneil View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krazyneil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2016 at 12:14pm
If you get stuck I might be able to get a pair of efx600 for £250 s/h
GOD TOLD ME TO DO IT !!!!!
djgorey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2016 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by krazyneil krazyneil wrote:

If you get stuck I might be able to get a pair of efx600 for £250 s/h

Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply