Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Matlab speaker modelling

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommysb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Matlab speaker modelling
    Posted: 07 August 2008 at 8:24pm
Anyone tried this, or got advice/suggestions about ways to model speakers in Matlab? I have some thoughts of my own, but going to get proficient in the software before I try anything.....
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2008 at 12:50am
Well I'm fairly handy with Matlab, so feel free to pm me if you get a bit stuck.

I did consider working out horn folds in a given 2D cab size given a bunch of volumes using numerical solvers but never got the time or had the inclination to seriously start.
davey t View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davey t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2008 at 9:08am
why not st use akabak?
Minirig portable soundsystem movement
Deadbeat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2008 at 11:27am
I'd only use MATLAB or another mathematic software for something like room placement of subwoofers (I think some use that instead of software like CARA, etc) etc (or calculating flares when you can't do it on paper, it's useful for OS, jmmic, tractrix flares for comps that you can't draw out on paper).

As davey said, Akabak would be more suitable (I'm slowly learning it...slowly...).

Away on extended leave.
tommysb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommysb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2008 at 7:41pm
The overall idea, was that it would be possible to write a program that sort of tuned a box to a particular driver, but would also be able to do the opposite. It was intended as an exercise to help my understanding of acoustics, could be a bit of fun, and is much more configurable. Arriving at an optimum bass horn using genetic algorithms? Gotta be worth a try i think......

SteveAATW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveAATW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2008 at 2:29am
I use Matlab every day...

I hate it more with every day that passes....

Dead

odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2008 at 2:55am
Eventually you will get to love it, and by that point it will be time to start using C.
SteveAATW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveAATW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2008 at 3:08am
I think my problem is that I learned how to program long before I had to use Matlab....

I'd take assembly over the pain of solving algebraic loop errors in Simulink, and models that take 2 days to simulate 1200s of real time

Dead
tommysb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommysb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2008 at 2:08pm
My other option is to write something in C, which I'm actually fairly comfortable with, I just presumed it would be quicker to start prototyping equations etc in Matlab! (and you could have a nice GUI more easily).
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2008 at 5:13am
Matlab is sheer brilliance for rapid prototyping, if you know what you want it to do and especially if you want pretty graphs afterwards.

Matlab is all about getting data into an enviroment where you can work with it as quick as possible with a mimimum of fuss, proper analysis then is a lot more straightforward.

If you can be bothered to do that donkey work yourself then C will be a sh*tload faster and then some.
tommysb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommysb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2008 at 4:01pm
yeah, I just don't have any experience in GUIs in C. Plus, it depends how well i write the algorithms...

To be honest, I don't think it will be that intensive that the speed will make a difference. Although I may be proved wrong...
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2008 at 1:14am
You don't need to worry too much about gui develpment with C unless you want to. Just compile to a console exe and run at the command prompt, then you can print out log files of data and analyse them with excel/matlab/whatever for pretty results perhaps. I have written a lot of stuff this way.

Edited by odc04r - 11 August 2008 at 1:14am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>