Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MaxAmp gain settings?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote app Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2014 at 9:34pm
Okay.Thanks!
Theres this pc cigarette lighter thing which could give me 15v so i suppose thats too close to the breaking point?
"what!?"
WesleyK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesleyK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2014 at 9:58pm
Do you have a better link, to the specific product? These normally give what's fed into them, in a car that's close to 15V indeed with the engine running. In that case I would suggest putting a diode in series, to get a 0.7V drop. Maybe two in series, to get a 1.4V drop. Maybe not the neatest way, but it works and is cheap ;)
app View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote app Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2014 at 10:03pm
http://www.elektrolinna.fi/kauppa/index.php?ryhma=000000000&infosivukoodi=SDR70W

It says the output is regulated.

Input voltage 11-14vdc

My friend also has some chinese boost converters which might work...

Edited by app - 10 March 2014 at 10:05pm
"what!?"
WesleyK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesleyK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2014 at 10:16pm
Aah, I see. Yep in that case I would get an adjustable boost converter or put some diodes in series. 
But what would be the easiestoption, by far,  to get more power out of your system would be to use 4 ohm speakers or to create a 4 ohm load by connecting speakers in parallel for example, as done in the Boominator. If that doenst fit your boombox/12v system, you might want to search for the 4 ohm HP-10W. They are very rare, but they pop up now and then.

Edited by WesleyK - 10 March 2014 at 10:20pm
app View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote app Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2014 at 10:23pm
Yeah,Ive heard about them,mythical 4ohm hp10wLOL

Theres only 1 woofer and 1 tweeter in the box so cant wire parallel to my understanding...

Ill try the boost converter with the maxamp and if im not satisfied with the volume I need to try some class d amp which can give me more power...

Thanks for the information wesleykThumbs Up
"what!?"
WesleyK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesleyK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2014 at 10:33pm
Yep with the MaxAmp you'll get pretty much the maximum power possible with a 12V-14V power supply. If you need more, the voltage needs to go up, together with the voltage rating of your amp.
app View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote app Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2014 at 4:51pm
Gotta big up the guys at maxamp.Fast deliveryClap

Goin to test the LITTLE beast in the near future!

"what!?"
app View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote app Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2014 at 12:30am
Why is there a spot for 2nd pair of capacitors(?) in the chip? 

Is there some mods that can be done for the maxamp besides changing the gain setting?

Edited by app - 15 March 2014 at 12:31am
"what!?"
WesleyK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesleyK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2014 at 12:55am
Those pads are reserved for an future upgrade to C0G coupling caps. The current MaxAmp is using X7R coupling caps, which belongs to one of the highest grades. This is "good enough"(as in, unnoticeable for 95% of the people) for most applications, but some find foil caps for example to be better sounding. C0G caps also are a good alternative (quite some high end DACs use these paralleled to get the required capacity) so I included the pads for a future upgrade. There are 10 spots for each channel, because of the lower density of a C0G capacitor. While a X7R capacitor in this size can easily be big enough, this isnt the same case for C0G caps, in this size, the largest capacity is about 0.1µF, without being unreasonably expensive.

Other mods are a low pass filter, which can be made using the pads near the gain setting resistors to add a capacitor. This is a cheap and easy way to use a MaxAmp to drive a subwoofer.

Edited by WesleyK - 15 March 2014 at 12:59am
app View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote app Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2014 at 11:41pm
Not sure if its because I switched the power wires to thicker ones when I changed to maxamp but with maxamp the hiss from the speakers start much quicker than with the sure amp.

Maybe the sure amp is much more complicated in design so that it takes longer for the electricity to go thru it?

When I turn on the main switch from my system its instantly on with the maxamp.The sound is better too than sure.

Havent got a chance to play it loud yet but so far the maxamp seems great.
"what!?"
WesleyK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesleyK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2014 at 9:28am
Could be due the fact that the MaxAmps works from 5V to 14V. The sure amp needs at least 8-9V? When you switch on the power switch, the capacitors(both on the maxamp and sure) take some time to charge, starting at 0V, ending at your power supplies its voltage.

Thicker wires also help, if your previous wires were too thin. Thin wires have higher resistance which will limit the maximum current and willl suffer from a voltage drop. This can increase the time the capacitors need to charge.

Edited by WesleyK - 18 March 2014 at 9:31am
app View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote app Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2014 at 5:46pm
I just understood that the difference between 10w and 20w is 3db in spl so when using the maxamp and 8ohm speakers instead of 4ohm speakers Im only "losing" like 3db in max spl?Is this correct?
"what!?"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>