Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mega of London

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nachural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2012 at 9:50am
Originally posted by mykey- mykey- wrote:

Originally posted by Nachural Nachural wrote:

Oh those lovely 2x12" bins.
Created quite a stir when robbo fitted them into a local reggae club. Well, at least till he fired them up!

were they no good then?
Mykey, they were brilliant, it was just interesting seeing the reaction of the reggae guys who couldn't believe what ATC 12's could do!

Edited by Nachural - 02 July 2012 at 11:39pm
it's all just cardboard and magnets really
Muckerbarnes1 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muckerbarnes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2012 at 10:20am
Hopefully loaded with ATC PA75-314 BLCR. A lovelly driver.

Then of course good ole David Lythe ( Volt Loudspeakers). There is nowt new under the sun Big smile
Billy Dawg.
Nachural View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nachural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2012 at 10:32am
I think most o the 2x12 bins were indeed loaded with ATC's. Surely one of the best 12's ever made for it's application.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muckerbarnes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2012 at 10:50am
Used loads of them Chris. ATC is close nearby. A great company.

Used to put those 12's into Bose (YUK!) bass cabs as a replacement to the naff Emminece unit, then get the glue and pinner out, as most boxes started to separate. There are still qute a few out there working like this.
Billy Dawg.
Nachural View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nachural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2012 at 11:02am
I bet they were the best sounding Bose cabs ever heard!
mykey- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2012 at 11:32am
Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

I think the opposite Mike,the bass those 12" ATC drivers made in that cabinet was amazing,on par with the equivilent Martin 15" cabinets of the time.I heard a stereo stack of 2 of those per side,thumped me in the stomach at 50 feet.

A vertical column of four or six per side must have been deadly.

Incidentially,the earlier ones had large wooden grab handles running all along the sides,like the Martin 115 w bins.

Its a shame more weren't sold,but i seem to remember they were pretty expensive at the time,so most companys probually stuck with the more established Martin or ASS cabs.
I've heard them. It's just the way he said it......."caused quite a stir....well, at least until he fired them up"
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muckerbarnes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2012 at 12:02pm
Read this thread Chris. My second post on the Bose 302 crap! It was so funny..LOLLOLLOL

A good hijack too....

Billy Dawg.
Nachural View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nachural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2012 at 1:02pm
Malcolm, that was a funny read, I bet Bose weren't happy at all!
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2012 at 8:57pm
The old Mega B212 has got to be one of the most underrated cabinets in the industry and we used to love them----The club in question was the old Rising Star nightclub(now the well known Robin club) in Bilston, Wolverhampton and we had been putting all sorts of hire systems in there for about two years for various live reggae shows including most of the top Jamaican acts.
The club owners approached us to install a full in house system which could be used for both the in house Reggae DJs and any live acts that were on as well and we ended up fitting four Mega B212 on bass, four Mega 9" ATC fibreglass mids and four Mega twin 1" HF horn cabinets with four old original Peavey CS800 big chrome fronted amps in bridge mode driving the bass bins and RSD Studiomaster amps driving the rest of the PA.
Now this little Mega system just sat in that club for years and comfortably blew away every reggae sound system that was brought into the venue--and there were some big systems around Wolverhampton at that time and the clubs capacity was about 600 officially but there were regular nights when over 800 bodies would be in there and it just sat there pumping it out.
No one would ever believe us when asked what speakers were in the bass bins and we told them 12"---they always thought that we were joking with them and in the first five years we only had two drivers blown which says a hell of a lot about the system but also about the resident DJs that really used to respect the system and of course we were doing the sound for all of the live acts so it never suffered like todays red lining abuse.
The subject of the Rising Star system still crops u with me on many occasions when I bump into the old school guys that were there around that time and I still get praise for that rig to this day---Cheers-John.
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2012 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by oldskool oldskool wrote:

I was in Robbo's store of joy only a few weeks back and saw the mega bass cabs for myself, still very nice. Anyway I have six of the mega radial horns for one inch comps, still brand new and unused. Anyway does anybody remember the mega cabs that had 2 x 18, 4 x 10, two inch comp and a pair of the slot radiators, all JBL? Still one of the best sounds I have ever heard. Just like a studio monitor but very loud! Probably weighed half a ton too.  

I saw those cabs at Kempton park race course think it was a Thames valley Sunday show, they were truly mental and driven off what looked like half finished amp just chucked on the flood, I don't know who drew more complaints Mega or ASS with Tony's wall of sound downstairs, but I do remember the staff of Kempton park shitting themselves because the chandler's were moving with the bass from all those 18's.
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!
oldskool View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2012 at 11:11pm
Mega upstairs and Tony downstairs?!LOL
Surprised the bloody place was left standing after that onslaught. Yes those mega cabs were mental.
I remember seeing Brass Construction play Hammersmith Odeon in 1983 (as it was called back then) with just six of those cabs each side, 1.2 kW per cab, madness.
They even did a "diet version" with 2x15, 2x10, two inch comp and two slot radiators too  
Those Thames Valley Sundays must have been one hell of a day out Colin! Big smile  

Edited by oldskool - 02 July 2012 at 11:15pm
Nachural View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nachural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2012 at 11:49pm

I wish I’d heard those boxes. Does anyone have any surviving literature for the full rang cabs. I don’t recall ever seeing a brochure or advert for them. Definitely a bit of Clair Brothers thinking going on in their design.

John, did you ever have any of them?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>