Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mid/top help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote r.G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mid/top help
    Posted: 01 May 2016 at 10:51am
Hello everyone,

I'm planning on building a small soundsystem.

Subbass will be covered by scoops, kickbass will be 2x15 reflex.

Now the question is, which design and drivers do I use for mids/tops? I was thinking about 2 mids in a sealed box and probably one big horn as a top. But I don't really know what to look for when picking those components.

My budget is about 600€ 

Any help is appreciated
cookie-dj View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie-dj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2016 at 10:54am
have a look at my thread http://forum.speakerplans.com/the-beginning-of-bliss-soundsystem_topic92433.html. lots of ideas floated about on it and my almost finished final stack is towards the end Thumbs Up
You can't polish a turd!
r.G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote r.G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2016 at 1:01pm
I already did, looks really nice and solid! Thumbs Up Especially those 2x12" sealed mids, that's the kind of design I'm looking for. But I don't really know what to look out for when designing a sealed cab like that.

1. Is it just a box with a cutout for the driver?
2. Also, 1-2 bullet tweeters or a big horn as a top?
3. Does anyone have a few suggestions (drivers/horns/designs)? Maybe with a short explanation to it (so I can learn something instead of just picking a suggested component Smile )

Also a little bit of information which might be useful: 
- Roots/Dub/Stepper will be played on it
- 2x Super Scooper (Fane Colossus 18XB loaded)
- 2x15  BR kick (RCF LF15P380)
- Mid/Top amp not picked yet

So in summary I'm looking for nice and clear mids and tops on a 600€ budget (at max) to keep up with the scoops/kicks. Building them myself is prefered!

Edited by r.G - 01 May 2016 at 1:03pm
herke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2016 at 1:40pm
hey cookie, what do you cross your tham12 over at for your 8" drivers?

Also, for your main system (which looks awesome), what sort of crowd would you cover with that?
Cheers
cookie-dj View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie-dj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2016 at 2:18pm
The Tham 12 will be running at 50-150ish loaded with PD12SB30. Still untested!

My big system will do a couple of hundred people I shall imagine. Will know more on testing however.
You can't polish a turd!
cookie-dj View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie-dj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2016 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by r.G r.G wrote:

I already did, looks really nice and solid! Thumbs Up Especially those 2x12" sealed mids, that's the kind of design I'm looking for. <span style="line-height: 1.4;">But I don't really know what to look out for when designing a sealed cab like that.</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">
</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">1. Is it just a box with a cutout for the driver?</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">2. Also, 1-2 bullet tweeters or a big horn as a top?</span>
3. Does anyone have a few suggestions (drivers/horns/designs)? Maybe with a short explanation to it (so I can learn something instead of just picking a suggested component Smile )

Also a little bit of information which might be useful: 
- Roots/Dub/Stepper will be played on it
- 2x Super Scooper (Fane Colossus 18XB loaded)
- 2x15  BR kick (RCF LF15P380)
- Mid/Top amp not picked yet

So in summary I'm looking for nice and clear mids and tops on a 600€ budget (at max) to keep up with the scoops/kicks. Building them myself is prefered!

Yes I modelled the box to a driver in winisd , tuned the volume to the drivers fs or near enough anyway. It's literally a box with driver cut outs in the baffle.

For your tops its your personal preference, reggae systems tend to have bullets or piezo arrays for that extra "sizzle". I chose not to have bullets as I will probably upgrade my comps to the mighty BMS co-ax comp at some point.

You can't polish a turd!
r.G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote r.G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2016 at 2:58pm
Ok, can you recommend a driver and possibly a plan for a 2x12 midrange cab?

Also, what do you think about two Beyma CP 22's as tweeters? 

Edited by r.G - 01 May 2016 at 3:02pm
cookie-dj View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie-dj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2016 at 3:14pm
Literally took me 20 mins from selection of drivers, winisd inputting and 3d modelling on sketchup. Try yourself!
If not, have a look at the fane and eminence cook books, plenty of designs which work with today's drivers. Easily found online
You can't polish a turd!
r.G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote r.G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2016 at 3:24pm
I don't have any experience with winisd and only tried sketchup a couple times. Also, don't really know what to look out for when selecting mid drivers. But I'll have a look at those you mentioned! Thumbs Up
cookie-dj View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie-dj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2016 at 3:30pm
Fane sovereign 12 is a fair mid offering if you're on a budget. Plenty of people have used them to good effect. Or maybe something from p audio. Try and speak to Andy from blue Aran on here for budget driver advice. he knows a better range of drivers then a lot of us on here....
You can't polish a turd!
r.G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote r.G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2016 at 4:10pm
Took a look at them and indeed they're budget. Which frequency should I let them play in? Scoops will be around 30-90, kicks 90-180ish and then? I want to cover everything above that with just two more ways, so 12" (or 10"?) and two more tweeters.
 Post Reply Post Reply