Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MIDTOP 15" + 8" + 1" 3 way

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeruSound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MIDTOP 15" + 8" + 1" 3 way
    Posted: 22 May 2017 at 10:39am
Hello, I am gonna build a 3 way midtop speaker, probably full horn loaded, B&C.
I am thinking in 15" 15NW76 in straight horn loading, than a combo horn 8" + 1", and I am thinking about what speaker..
For 1 inch I would go with DE250, guess is pretty much power and should work great.
Then, my question is the more about the 8 inches speaker for the straight combo horn:
have you ever tried 8NSM64 from B&C?
It looks the best, very sensitive and powerful, maybe needs a proper phase plug to sing the best, but still my first choice.
Just I never tried, and compared to the classical 8PE21, that is very cheap, looks not that much different and better.
What would you suggest me? What are the pros and cons to choose 8PE21 in stead of 8NSM64 in your opinion?
VECTORDJ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VECTORDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 2:06pm
The 8PE21 is very good.  VECTORSONICS
Keen View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 5:38pm
Leru, 

When you understand how big that straight 15" horn will need to be to load the diver below 200hz, you will understand that a design such as the one you have in mind makes no sense. These types of 15" horns in 3 way mid-tops are always folded band-pass horns. There are some designs with folded front loaded horns but they will only work as horns with 2-3 mid tops arrayed together. 

A 12+8+1 can remain reasonably sized and work from about 200hz up. There are a few examples around the forum. 

LeruSound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeruSound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 5:43pm
My idea was to have horn and vented, anyway, I' more on the way to 8PE21 for now, just for the price, and maybe I dont need that much SPL a 8MSN64 could offer me, if I keep that same tweeter upon..
Anyone did try 8MSN or compared with PE21 yet?
cookie-dj View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie-dj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 6:01pm
I have toyed with this idea on here in the past and it seems that the difficulty is getting the 8" to meet the 15" properly.
You can't polish a turd!
LeruSound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeruSound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 6:08pm
Mhmm, listening to 15NW76, it seems it to be able to play very high (guess 500 as a meeting point could have been good, anyway from 300 to 600) I would avoid folds, and maybe I can also try to just put it in direct radiation with reflex vent, also cuz its very sensitive..
cookie-dj View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie-dj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 6:16pm
That is basically like the 3 way Blue Aran jobby with the 8" driver on phase plug horn and high power 15" reflex
You can't polish a turd!
Keen View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 6:44pm
Good thinking
LeruSound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeruSound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 6:51pm
It makes no sense to me to choose PE21 if then I have to pad the comp driver to fit the speaker sensitivity, but its still cheaper than buy 8NSM..
For the 15 inches I will arrange something, still not sure if vented, vented inside horn or horn and vented..
cookie-dj View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie-dj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by LeruSound LeruSound wrote:

It makes no sense to me to choose PE21 if then I have to pad the comp driver to fit the speaker sensitivity, but its still cheaper than buy 8NSM..
For the 15 inches I will arrange something, still not sure if vented, vented inside horn or horn and vented..

A bit like a Martin H3 ported horn to squeeze out those extra few lower Hz

Martin H3 is the best sounding 3 way I've heard (not heard many but enough to form my opinion).
I'm not sure if I could build a pair which will sound as good or be the same price of very good condition used.
You can't polish a turd!
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 7:41pm
What horn are you going to use for 8"?
Check first group delays ported vs horn hoaded and space ported need more.
LeruSound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeruSound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 8:15pm
There a reseller is selling this horns in italy, I will buy, try and make mesurements before everything. Then I will think on how move for the horn below.
The horn should be 40x60,no phase plug..Dont know much more yet..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>