Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Roots n Culture Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mid-Top Opinons

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mid-Top Opinons
    Posted: 02 April 2017 at 7:02am
Whapn'n SP,

Looking for sweetest comp driver solution to live above a pair of 12s to cover the 1.6kHz to 6kHz range. Budget is flexible.

edit: I should add that I'm looking for the compression driver solution to accompany the set of bullets I have listed below, not to replace them altogether.

Other than weight, diaphragm replacement and just generally being a beast is a pair of JBL 2446h worth seeking out? Also interested in hearing alternatives to 2380a horn flare/waveguide for the 2446. What would be a better solution?

Current set-up for reference:
Drivers
(4) Fane Colossus Studio 18b = low (have 2, looking for another pair, 2 double bass reflex Fane 200L plan stacked to create old-style quad-box)
(2) Fane Colossus / Studio 12MB = mids
(2) Compression Horns JBL 2446h??? = mid-tops (not sure here, willing to go modern driver Beyma/BMS/B&C here if sound is superior)
(4) Fane 5022 bullet tweeters = hi 

Amps
Crest 8001 = Bass
RSD Studiomaster = Mid Bass
Peavey CS400/800 = Mid-tops / Highs

Understand soundman wanting to keep things close-to-vest but anyone willing to offer opinions would be appreciated.

Edited by mellotone - 03 April 2017 at 7:26pm
cookie-dj View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie-dj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2017 at 7:17am
BMS 4590 is the only compression driver you will ever need
You can't polish a turd!
mellotone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2017 at 4:23pm
Yep, thanks Cookie.

Seeing a lot of love on here for the BMS 4590. Assuming I would still need a pair, no?
What horn you using for the 4590?
cookie-dj View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie-dj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2017 at 5:41pm
A large format horn with wide coverage if only using 1 per side i should imagine.
You can't polish a turd!
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2017 at 7:05pm
1.6kHz is a bit high to cross from 12s - especially is using a 2" or 1.4" compression driver. cross a bit lower before the 12s start beaming.
mellotone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2017 at 7:52pm
Yeah, that x/o point was based on going with the JBL 2446h comps and the feedback I've seen here from those that recommend not dipping lower than 1kHz and that around 2kHz yield best results for that specific driver.

Would think I could go lower with x/o point if I decide to go the BMS route, even x-ing/o @ 800Hz would help avoid beam from the 12s.
knet94 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knet94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2017 at 10:25pm
The 2446s play real good from 800hz to 7khz. I opted to use them from 900hz to 6khz because I was a bit paranoid about blowing them used lower than that. Used them for a long time until I heard the BMS 4590 co-axials which are definitely a step up. If the cost of the 4590s are not prohibitive then go that option otherwise using the 2446s with some good bullets will yield excellent results.
mellotone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2017 at 10:58pm
That's good to know on the JBLs, especially since I already have a set of bullets.

Since the 4590s can go up to 20kHz are people still using bullets with these? Or guessing they negate the need.
mellotone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2017 at 11:18pm
There an alternative to the 2380a horn you'd recommend for the 2446s, knet?

Edited by mellotone - 02 April 2017 at 11:19pm
knet94 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knet94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2017 at 2:38am
I run a 5 way system. When I had the 2446s I was using bullets for my very top end. When I got the 4590s I kept the bullets for a while and ran 6 way for a very short time, soon deciding that I really didn't need the bullets with the 4590s.

Do you have an issue with the 2380s? I still use some when I need a fairly wide dispersion, even with the 4590s. I use 2385s when I need narrower dispersion. These are fairly hard to come by so I tried the P-Audio 4528 from BlueAran and found them really good. They also do a 2380 equivalent which I can't vouch for because I've not used one but at only £21.65 each are surely worth a punt.
mellotone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2017 at 6:59pm
No issue with the 2380s as I have no personal experience using them. 

Have just read others on SP.com here prefer to pair the 2446s up with different flares from JBL or even other brands and that there is some concern with the 2380s eventually breaking — even if properly secured and supported when mounting.

Again, no direct experience however I had a decent offer on a pair of 2446h w/ original diaphragms + 2380A(s) + the metal mounting/support frames. I was close to pulling the trigger on it but have since backed off and am now considering more modern alternatives from (B&C, Faital, BMS, Beyma, etc).

Thing is I'm after the best 2" or 1.4" CD horns that can run in combination with my bullet tweets covering the top-end and that complement/sound nice together. 

So not really looking for a CD solution to replace the bullets altogether. A little stubborn on my part but at least that's what I think I want to try at the moment.

Edited by mellotone - 03 April 2017 at 7:26pm
corell View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2017 at 7:55pm
If you dont need the Super HF of the BMS 4590, there is the 4591 (is that the name?) which is just the MF part of the coax. It is a very loud, very low THD compression driver. Couple it to the biggest horn you can find/afford.
Personally, i would never split the HF in two ways (CD + bullets). I would either go with a beefy 3" or 4" CD (for live, voice etc.) like the 18sound ND1480 or N4015, or i would just go with the BMS coax (4594 + XT1464) for any electronic style music.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>