Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Midtops that can keep up with Cyclops CBX-18's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garlickson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Midtops that can keep up with Cyclops CBX-18's
    Posted: 05 April 2017 at 10:32am
Hi guys,

I've recently acquired x4 Cyclops CBX-18's.

They will be loaded with RCF LF18X401 18" 1500w drivers.

Initially I will be using x2 CBX's - as I need to wait till I can afford more drivers - so in the meantime, I need to get x2 midtops that will be able to keep up with the bins. 

My spend on these will be around £1200 for the midtops (so 600 each cab), I was looking into Turbosound TMS-4 midtops, they look and sound pretty sick when i've heard them, but I'm open to other suggestions as I'm not keen on Funktion's.

So if anyone has had experience with Cyclops bins and knows what midtops can keep up - I am open to suggestions!! 
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2017 at 7:35pm
too many options, please define your requirements.. :)
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2017 at 7:39pm
Power plays a factor. How much power can you feed each cabinet?

Best Regards,
Elliot Thompson
cookie-dj View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote cookie-dj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2017 at 7:42pm
Something like second hand Martin H3 could be a possibility? Not sure if you could get a pair for £1200 though.
Or maybe even 3x Soundgear Orbit from member Timebomb on here?

LOTS of options however....
You can't polish a turd!
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2017 at 8:00pm
H3's would be my suggestion too, superb cabinets. I've seen the older non '+' models going for £1500 a pair, so I would say getting a pair for £1200 if you search about may actually be do-able. 

If you could manage a slight increase in budget and do a bit of haggling; 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Martin-Audio-H3-Speakers-Pair-/302272794852?hash=item4660dcd0e4:g:1CEAAOSwuLZY40K1 

Smile
scottylaroq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scottylaroq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2017 at 2:12am
if you have the amps and dsp to go 3 way, and youre on a tight budget, tms-4 can usually be had cheapish and get loud with little power. i have a set and they get a surprising amount of use just cause theyre cheap and easy to deploy, and with a little tweaking sound pretty good. finding spares can be a bit difficult though.

also im in canada but ive read a few posts here recently about a lot of cheap turbo aspect avail in the UK.

your budget should be able to get you what you want, the question is what you plan to drive it with? do you wanna do passive? 2 way? 3 way? stereo? mono? all this has as much to do with using your budget effectively as how large it is. what kind of music do you play?

midas View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote midas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2017 at 8:40am
Are the Cyclops that efficient?

Surely the list is more or less endless, including reflex tops.
In bass no one can hear you scream!
Speaker Sol View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Speaker Sol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2017 at 12:04pm
Forum member Discosucks ran CBX with H3, i never heard it, but I believe he was never 100% happy with the kick.
KDW32 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KDW32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2017 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by Speaker Sol Speaker Sol wrote:

Forum member Discosucks ran CBX with H3, i never heard it, but I believe he was never 100% happy with the kick.

H2's and a set of better kick bins maybe better.
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2017 at 1:17pm
think he had CBE? not sure what the difference is..
Speaker Sol View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Speaker Sol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2017 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by cravings cravings wrote:

think he had CBE? not sure what the difference is..

I think your right.
discosucks View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote discosucks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2017 at 3:09pm
Yooo

Yea i had the h3's with fane 18 1500 cbe's . 

The h3's sounded awesome but its true I was never happy with the kick . 
I think two cbe's would need two of the martin kick sections .

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>