Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mini Boombox with SP-60/4

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2014 at 2:03pm
Put the tubes in the side.

My Tinnitus is coming along nicely!!
m4gnus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m4gnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2014 at 2:55pm
Here is a Photo. I read somewhere that it's best to put the tweeters as far from each other but as close to the bass drivers, so that's why I drilled that way. I'm planning on putting the bass reflex tubes on the front as well.

I'm cracking my brain with how to make a perfect grill for the front, the way some other user did with a similar design - also from a pluggis ikea box.

Don't mind the mess ;)
m4gnus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m4gnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2014 at 2:58pm
Oh didn't see your reply. Would you put one in each side? I just thought it wouldn't be so practical to have two holes in the sides of the box, as it will be used outside. Also, the holes would have to be different places, cause the box is only just about 24cm long. Hmmmm..
Gavos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gavos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2014 at 3:05pm
looking good m4gnus, i take it your using a wooden baffle instead of the lid?

If you can get another pluggis box you could try the ports both ways( front and side) and see witch one sounds best.
Gavos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gavos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2014 at 3:10pm
On KWB75'S build he put the ports on the back, and the grill is just the lid cut out of its frame and a mesh lining glued in, i think?
m4gnus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m4gnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2014 at 3:31pm
Yeah, I saw he did that. I just noticed something Saturnus mentioned in another thread: 

"Just turn the IKEA box on it's side instead of being upright. Put the tweeters above the woofers slightly off to each side instead of in the center. And have the ports front faced. Smack a handle meant for a kitchen drawer on top and you have a very decent portable stereo with a pretty slick design." 

I think that's what I planned on.. But putting the tubes on the back won't help me in fitting them 12 cm. long - it's the same problem, just the other way :) Well, I'll see. KWB75 didn't have a battery in his, so I guess he had a little more space to work with. 
m4gnus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m4gnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2014 at 3:33pm
Oh and btw., I don't think that's how he made the grill, as the lid to the box is everything painted purple on his.. So it can't be the lid. The lid has a 1 cm. edge down, and therefor his grill must be 1 cm. - I just have no idea how he has made the frame.. 
Gavos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gavos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2014 at 3:46pm
saturnus advice is always good, maybe ask KWB75 on his original thread or pm him about the grill.
Would it work out with the tubes by rotating the baffle 180 degrees and maybe the woofers wont hit the battery?

Edited by Gavos - 02 July 2014 at 3:46pm
Gavos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gavos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2014 at 3:48pm
Or make a separate battery box???? or docking station/

Edited by Gavos - 02 July 2014 at 3:50pm
lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2014 at 4:10pm
Just wrap the lid in speaker cloth.

Don't change the length of the BR port, it will affect the tuning frequency. If you want them shorter you will have to decrease their diameter. You'll get higher port air velocity but not something to worry about (to a certain point). 
KWB75 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KWB75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2014 at 8:11pm
Hi guys, apologies - I've only just noticed this.

The grille is a simple MDF frame with a cloth grille stapled to it, I made it purposely small so it fits tightly into the face of the lid.

My rear facing ports were very close to the baffle so I took about an inch off the length, and to be honest it sounded better for it.
lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2014 at 12:42am
I simmed it and cutting it down is indeed an option to consider. It changes the tuning frequency only slightly by 7 Hz, the response also didn't change much.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>