Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mini Boombox with SP-60/4

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m4gnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2014 at 2:18pm
Thank you so much for all the answers. I will update the thread with more photos when I get the last parts and can continue working on it.
If it's not an inconvenience I would love to see a picture of the frame for the grill :)
m4gnus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m4gnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2014 at 10:57pm
Does anyone know where to find a diagram of how to put all these damn electronics together? :D I am in doubt of the stuff that somehow goes to the battery the most. My amp is an AMP6 :) Thanks
m4gnus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m4gnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2014 at 10:22pm
So I worked a little more on the box today. I think it needs some more paint and maybe a coating of something - I have never painted plastic before. 

Anyway, I think the volume of the box will be a lot lower than I thought - maybe only 4 liters :( I hope it will still sound OK. 

Edited by m4gnus - 07 July 2014 at 10:29pm
m4gnus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m4gnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2014 at 8:32pm
So I just tested it out with only one of the sp-60, but it really didn't sound that well. It's like the plastic box makes the sound echo'ish and it didn't play very low or any bass. :( Also it doesn't play very loud. Can I expect more if I get a headphone amp or something? Also - should I put some more wood in the box? It already is only 4-5 liters I think. Hmm
lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2014 at 9:03pm
Have you modified the input gain of the TA2020?

4 liters will be too small for the SP60 to perform optimally. How did you test it? 
m4gnus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m4gnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2014 at 11:35pm
yes, the ta2020 is optimized. Maybe it's simply the volume of the box, or the fact that some of it is just plastic? 

I remember the guy who made the vintage suitcase boomboxes and he said the small one performed just as good as the bigger one - and from his pictures it really looks like mine is no smaller than his - probably a little bigger. I am talking about net volume here. 

I just tested it with a few songs from an iphone via jack. I didn't put screws in the baffle, but I made sure it was tight on. 

The midtones was ok, but absolutely no lows :( A lot of air being pushed out the bass reflex tubes though. 

Btw. can I expect the volume / output to be a lot louder when both the sp-60 are playing? 

Edited by m4gnus - 08 July 2014 at 11:42pm
m4gnus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m4gnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2014 at 11:40pm

Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2014 at 1:07am
Originally posted by m4gnus m4gnus wrote:

I think that's what I planned on.. But putting the tubes on the back won't help me in fitting them 12 cm. long - it's the same problem, just the other way :) Well, I'll see. KWB75 didn't have a battery in his, so I guess he had a little more space to work with. 

He also used a slightly bigger PLUGGIS box I think.

As far as I can tell you're using this http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30234696/

m4gnus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m4gnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2014 at 1:17am
Originally posted by Saturnus Saturnus wrote:

Originally posted by m4gnus m4gnus wrote:

I think that's what I planned on.. But putting the tubes on the back won't help me in fitting them 12 cm. long - it's the same problem, just the other way :) Well, I'll see. KWB75 didn't have a battery in his, so I guess he had a little more space to work with. 

He also used a slightly bigger PLUGGIS box I think.

As far as I can tell you're using this http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30234696/

As far as I can tell it's the exact same box. What makes you think his is bigger?
KWB75 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KWB75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2014 at 9:19am
It looks like the same size as mine, a couple of differences:

All of my box was lined and braced, all walls had mdf glued to them and then a cross brace to keep it all rigid.

I was running a Tk2050 off of an external power supply, so plenty of juice. Not sure what drivers you have but mine were 4ohm.

Box resonance will definitely suck the life out of it, also make sure the polarity of the drivers are correct.

To be honest my version wasn't a low-end monster but it had a nice tight bass to it.
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2014 at 11:17am
In case it is the same box, you'll want the bigger box with a battery inside to make up for the over 1 liter of lost volume.
m4gnus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m4gnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2014 at 11:23am
Thanks for your reply!!

So now I'm wondering weather it will be best to brace the sides with some wood (or maybe even cutton or something?) and have the box be even fewer liters, or to just keep it as it is. Hmm.

Also - are there anyone who knows where I can find info on where to solder the different wires? I have never tried this before, and I don't know where the DC plug for the charging goes or even the on/off switch.

Thank you all!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>