Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Minirig

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5657585960 79>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66DeCo99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2015 at 9:22am
Hats off davey! Was not expecting that. Great product. Fantastic to know about the backwards compatibility, was worried there for a second.

Thank you for the swift reply :]
The zone of danger
bsl100 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bsl100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2015 at 4:08am
@ Davey T....

So, here I am still waiting for the Kickstarter Frankenspiel FS-X to be delivered (since my posts last year), while you have since then managed to bring the Minirig true wireless BT speaker out. Congrats !!!!

What I like is that you have an app for controlling it and that you can then link it to the subwoofer. Also, you mention that it will sound fuller at low volumes. This is something good which I see with the Bose speakers. Many of us listen to these speakers at 40% volume for most of the time. So, having them sounding more full bodied at low volumes is actually needed. 

The only issue I see is that you have priced it quite high for mass production. It should have been around the same price as the earlier speaker. I know that the tech used is more expensive. But, this pricing takes it off the mainstream market. Maybe its your strategy to keep it niche.

Anyways, a great speaker just got better. Congrats once again.

davey t View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davey t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2015 at 9:20am
Hey bsl100. Yes I've been following the fsx kickstarter project. I really hope they manage to bring something out, I've seen this technology so through several different hands over the last 4 years and it has promise if it's done right. The look of the product is letting it down though.

Thanks for the mention but it's probably best to not hi-jack their project with mention of me and the Minirig. Sounds like they are missing deadlines. Trust me, it's very hard to bring out a new Bluetooth speaker for the first time which is why it's taken us 3 year - good job we didn't set a deadline!

We'd love to sell it for othe same price as the old Minirig of course, but this simply isn't possible. I think we're fairly priced, £30 cheaper thank the UE boom and Bose when they launched and the Minirig is arguably a better product - but of course I'm bias. The minirigs are made with really top quality design and parts and made to last.

Are you gonna pick one up or wait for the fsx?
Minirig portable soundsystem movement
bsl100 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bsl100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2015 at 10:58am
@ Davey T...

I got fed up of waiting and got a pair of Nokia Play 360 and a Bose SL III since then. 

The Nokia was a revelation. Not very loud and with decent Bass and excellent clarity. But, it went several dBs up in volume and Bass when worked as a true wireless stereo pair. I couldn't get over how much the sound improves by playing it in stereo, separated by around 10-15 ft. My suggestion to anybody who wants to buy a Minirig, is to go for a Minirig BT pair. It'll be awesome. 

The Bose is a different beast. It needs to be tamed to sound good and you require a good EQ like PowerAmp to get the best out of it. It really has incredible bass for its size. But, you need to work on the 125 Hz area as it tends to be overblown around that point and can get boomy. Its also less open sounding compared to the newer BT speakers like the BeoPlay A2.

I have tried to book the Minirig 2.1 set up through your website. But, getting the Minirig 2.1 setup into India is a big pain as it will cause hassles at the customs shooting up the price beyond GBP500.

Edited by bsl100 - 18 April 2015 at 11:03am
asidhowz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asidhowz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2015 at 4:01pm
j3sus just looking at getting the 2.1 system and it'll be over e600, 2 minirigs and subwoofer, too expensive imo, i understand the cost of parts etc but this is just to rich for me and most people id imagine :(
lost eden View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lost eden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2015 at 4:18pm
The £45 premium for bluetooth is what doesn't sit right with me. I appreciate that there is more to it (designing/testing a new PCB & whatnot) than just the minimal cost of the receiver (packaged units are £5 on ebay), but did you really need to add nearly 50% to the price to maintain your profit margin?
davey t View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davey t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2015 at 5:22pm
It's only £40 more when you consider we offer free shipping on our site. Of course we hope to offer discount for buying pairs or 2.1

But I understand, on the face of it is seems like we have just added Bluetooth, but comparing our Bluetooth chipset to the cheapest Bluetooth receivers on eBay is like comparing a lab gruppen to a skytronic amplifier. They're both amplifiers right? You know that if you want the very best in sound quality it comes with a price and that's the route we've taken.

Plus there's a lot more other improvements made. It sounds a lot better and can charge your phone for one thing. Check out the user guide and app to see what's in there.
lost eden View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lost eden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2015 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by davey t davey t wrote:

comparing our Bluetooth chipset to the cheapest Bluetooth receivers on eBay is like comparing a lab gruppen to a skytronic amplifier

I wouldn't go that far, a Bluetooth audio receiver is a lot simpler than an amplifier (excluding LM3886 jobs!). We're talking what, 2x ICs & a handful of supporting components?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to slag the product. I'm a proud owner of an 'original' Minirig & Sub, but whereas I could just about in a moment of weakness justify £95 on the original I definitely couldn't see myself spending £140 on the new one.
davey t View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davey t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2015 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by lost eden lost eden wrote:

Originally posted by davey t davey t wrote:

comparing our Bluetooth chipset to the cheapest Bluetooth receivers on eBay is like comparing a lab gruppen to a skytronic amplifier

I wouldn't go that far, a Bluetooth audio receiver is a lot simpler than an amplifier (excluding LM3886 jobs!). We're talking what, 2x ICs & a handful of supporting components?

I'd disagree, if you consider what's inside those chips. It's quite remarkable hugely complex technology. Granted I didn't design it, but still have to integrate, test, certify and license it.

It's a very tricky busy market to compete in. Give our position and principles of UK manufacture its very hard to compete on price, so have to compete on quality/performance instead. Hopefully people will see this.

It's great you have a Minirig and sub already, now consider that you can link out from the new Minirig into these. With aptX, sound quality is pretty much same as wired and with the app you can set it up as a wireless 2.1 stereo. Likewise you may be happy with your current wired set up which I totally understand.
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2015 at 2:57am
Davey, can you please prod Tom to send that box up northwards? Not urgent, but I'm dead curious as I'm sure you are!
bsl100 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bsl100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2015 at 3:58am
@ Davey T....

http://oluvsgadgets.blogspot.in/

Check out this blog by Oluv. He has compared the Minirig and UE Boom outdoors. He makes some quality videos and compares different speaker models. Goes by the username Clavinetjunkie on youtube.

With regard to your earlier post, you did mention that you would plan an offer for buyers of a 2.1 set up. I am sure you'll get more buyers if you do that.

In any case, I will not dispute the price of your products. Its how you want to strategise. Do you want to take it mainstream or remain niche. I, for one, am sold on your product as far as aesthetics, convenience and technology is concerned. You have a Bose / Apple like product as far as aesthetics and desirability is concerned and can sell tons of these if you can somehow hook up with good online retailers and distributors.

The cost issue is more because you produce the product in the UK. The cost of gadgets is around 1.5 times the price of similar tech in the US.

Edited by bsl100 - 19 April 2015 at 3:58am
4D View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2015 at 9:50am
Everyone I know with Mini rigs seems to get hours and hours if not days & weeks entertainment for themselves and their friends. I have shut down outdoor systems at 3am and let minirigs take over enabling the party to continue without disturbing the peace.

They really represent good value for money.

DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5657585960 79>