Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Minirig

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6768697071 79>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2016 at 11:17am
Originally posted by Saturnus Saturnus wrote:

Originally posted by Joji Joji wrote:

Originally posted by Saturnus Saturnus wrote:

MacBook Air like all other OSX or WIN8.0 (or newer) devices has AptX codec enabled as standard. No need for an external BT dongle. Please note though that no iOS devices support AptX codec unlike all android (kitkat or newer) and all Window Phone devices (all versions).

Well maybe so on paper, but I experience dropouts on the unit chosen as the slave unit, making bluetooth stereo useless on the Macbook Air OSX (2013 purchase). Hence the need for an external dongle. Works fine now! Which year is your MacBook Air from?

I wouldn't buy or even use a macbook if it was given to me.

Most of the software I use for work doesn't run on OSX or in the dual boot version of windows. :D

Teori og praksis Wink
pilgrim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilgrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2016 at 11:20am
@jimac: You are right. I happen to have a similar cable, from some very old battery powered speakers.
That works great. So the answer is to use a standard (non-minirigs) splitter cable.

Edited by pilgrim - 27 April 2016 at 11:22am
Joji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2016 at 11:21am
Originally posted by jimac jimac wrote:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000KMGKAC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Get one of these - problem solved.

Did you actually try it?  I bought another 3-pole L/R splitter but it picked up a lot of noise when plugged in...Confused
jimac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2016 at 11:28am
I have a few different ones, all less than £5.
Only one was bad. The rest were all fine for hooking up a pair to a phone/laptop.

The only cable I really have any issue with is the official 4 pole splitter which i use with the sub.

For a simple stereo splitter, whynot make one, its really easy.
Joji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2016 at 11:35am
Originally posted by jimac jimac wrote:

I have a few different ones, all less than £5.
Only one was bad. The rest were all fine for hooking up a pair to a phone/laptop.

The only cable I really have any issue with is the official 4 pole splitter which i use with the sub.

For a simple stereo splitter, whynot make one, its really easy.

So, 
1) when connecting via the Subwoofer, then use the 4 pole splitter.
2) when connecting directly to the minirigs, use a standard 3 pole splitter.

Thanks, I am learning useful stuff here!Smile

haaghala View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haaghala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2016 at 5:40pm

Just went and tested it on one of my subs. I can hear a slight noise when I switch the sub to high gain mode immediately after playing some music and then pausing playback. Not at 7 meters, though... more like at 7 cm Smile I have to listen very closely to even notice it. In the low gain mode, I honestly do not hear any noise at all

Could you watch my video and tell if the behaviour is same or different from yours?

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=96C6F15AB4FA5692!311351&authkey=!AD0kTi7qJ9T3mHg&ithint=video%2cmp4 - https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=96C6F15AB4FA5692!311351&authkey=!AD0kTi7qJ9T3mHg&ithint=video%2cmp4
Joji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2016 at 7:57pm
@haaghala
I do get muffled HF feedthrough whenever the MUTE is used, but never noticed "Noise". Some HF feedthrough is to be expected with any kind of Low Pass Filter, other than the brick wall type possible with DSP, unless the output signal is completely attenuated from the minirigs. I too found it odd that only the Minirigs were cut off during a MUTE, instead of all connected units.

So, your subwoofer noise is audible if and only if you use the "MUTE" function? I thought you meant in general during pauses in playback or in the music.. will set my system up following your video step by step tomorrow and try to repeat the test during the day. Neighbours will be wanting my head on a plate if I do it nowDead

haaghala View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haaghala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2016 at 5:54am

@haaghala
I do get muffled HF feedthrough whenever the MUTE is used, but never noticed "Noise". Some HF feedthrough is to be expected with any kind of Low Pass Filter, other than the brick wall type possible with DSP, unless the output signal is completely attenuated from the minirigs. I too found it odd that only the Minirigs were cut off during a MUTE, instead of all connected units.

So, your subwoofer noise is audible if and only if you use the "MUTE" function? I thought you meant in general during pauses in playback or in the music.. will set my system up following your video step by step tomorrow and try to repeat the test during the day. Neighbours will be wanting my head on a plate if I do it nowDead

The background hiss and noise is there right from the sub turns on, without any source connected to it. With the mute demonstration I wanted only to show that high frequency coming through the sub. Hiss/noise is very noticeable and can be picked by sensitive ear even when playing music when there is low volume parts in the music. At least now I can pick it up when I know it's there.

Function of the muting is to allow Minirig speaker connect to home stereo setup via 3.5mm plug and making it basically Bluetooth capable.

Minirig contacted me after watching the video and they told me there's nothing wrong with my setup...
haaghala View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haaghala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2016 at 8:42am
Are you others facing HEAVY (50Hz?) buzz from the Minirig subwoofer when you turn it ON while connected to USB charger (230Vac -> 5Vdc USB). If I then touch the sub casing it get so heavy I concerned about something breaking inside.

Like this:
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=96C6F15AB4FA5692%21314288&authkey=%21AFsX-hhHmOaPZO4&ithint=video%2cmp4 - https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=96C6F15AB4FA5692!314288&authkey=!AFsX-hhHmOaPZO4&ithint=video%2cmp4
Joji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2016 at 8:47am
Originally posted by haaghala haaghala wrote:

Are you others facing HEAVY (50Hz?) buzz from the Minirig subwoofer when you turn it ON while connected to USB charger (230Vac -> 5Vdc USB). If I then touch the sub casing it get so heavy I concerned about something breaking inside.

Like this:
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=96C6F15AB4FA5692%21314288&authkey=%21AFsX-hhHmOaPZO4&ithint=video%2cmp4 - https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=96C6F15AB4FA5692!314288&authkey=!AFsX-hhHmOaPZO4&ithint=video%2cmp4

No, none at all
Joji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2016 at 9:23am
@haaghala
What you refer to as "Bang" and "Popping Sound" in the video
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=96C6F15AB4FA5692!311351&authkey=!AD0kTi7qJ9T3mHg&ithint=video%2cmp4

I also get on mine, when I turn the minirigs ON/OFF,or connect/disconnect cables, so I believe this part is is normal in the operation.

Attenuated HF feedthrough is also normal for my sub, but I do not get the crackling sound like you have on your video. Reminds me of an old mistuned radio... 

The HF whining that can be heard from your sub does not occur on my sub. BUT I can provoke a low frequency hum by twisting  connection cable jack when in the High Gain to High Gain connection.

I can also hear the LF hum when in this mode by just touching the minirig Alu casing with my fingers. I believe my body is acting like an antenna, picking up fluctuations and passing it to the sensitive High Gain amp through the floating ground connection. When I touch both the sub AND the connected minirig simultaneously, the hum disappears too. When I touch neither the sub nor the minirig, no hum!

A faulty cable could also be causing some of the problems you have.
Have you tried connecting with the other cable?
Have you tried connecting both minirigs and the sub via the splitter cable? Are the annoying sounds still audible?

Edited by Joji - 29 April 2016 at 10:06am
pilgrim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilgrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2016 at 9:47am
At low listening levels, the subwoofer is too loud compared to the small speakers.
Not good. Is there a way to calm it down?
Putting the small speakers in high gain together with the subwoofer in low gain, makes the subwoofer too silent. Not good either.

As the speakers only has two levels to choose from, I suppose I need to make an attenuator cable.
About -5dB would do it, I think.
Where are the impedance specifications I need to calculate the resistors?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6768697071 79>