Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Moving Heads

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biggus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Moving Heads
    Posted: 28 July 2014 at 5:19pm
OK, I'm a sound guy not a lampie, however I can't find the lampie equivalent of speakerplans, there is blue room but that is full of theatre people.

I'm looking for some moving heads to go with my rig, budget around £750.

I think I've got two options.

1) New budget kit such as Stairville MH575 <-- Bright 3 year warrenty
 http://www.thomann.de/gb/stairville_mh575_s_mkii_prospot.htm

or

2) Second hand Martin/Robe/Clay Packy..

Does anybody know of any good moving heads in my budget? I want bright! should I stay away from the budget brands or settle for second hand industry standard?
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2014 at 6:31pm
in honesty i have found nothing wrong with a lot of the 'budget' stuff, especially with warranty etc, if your crowd don't care about brand riders then why not?

problem with ex tour kit, although its likely been maintained properly over the life, a lot of them rack up a lot of hours use, and have traveled a hell of a lot [hence their stock is rotated regularly!]. Ultimately they will be better quality heads, have better optics and availability of spares, but at the same time, you are running a spot of a gamble in my eyes - id go with new heads with warranty if i knew i could get the moneys worth out of them in the 3-4years and would still do the job. Amazing how many 'high profile' stage set i see over the summer running 'budget' lighting Thumbs Up.

''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2014 at 6:42pm
the clue is 'good' and 'budget' in the same sentence.
Cheap new stuff is rubbish. Moving heads are a complicated and expensive thing to build so a cheap one cuts corners in a big way. I could tell some tales! Second hand, you don't know how it's been used. If it's spent all its life in a disco or pub going round and round from 8pm to 4am 6 days a week, you'll be changing wiring looms and motors till the cows come home.

I'm just servicing some Martin MAC500's that have been aquired second hand. A safe bet, you'd think...but the wiring looms are of course shot. Martin don't supply parts for MAC500s any more so I'nm having to make up looms from scratch.....a very fiddly and expensive job indeed, neutralising any saving the client will have made buying them second hand. I'm not looking forward to breaking the news on that one!

Kevin

North Staffordshire

norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2014 at 6:57pm
There are of course a LOT of smaller, lower powered heads with much better light output than a MAC500 too....

What sort of fixture are you after, wash, spot, beam? LED or discharge (or halogen! yuck)

Do you have a desk, or will it need a decent standalone feature?

My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2014 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by norty303 norty303 wrote:

There are of course a LOT of smaller, lower powered heads with much better light output than a MAC500 too....

What sort of fixture are you after, wash, spot, beam? LED or discharge (or halogen! yuck)

Do you have a desk, or will it need a decent standalone feature?

hey! my iMove i5's are 250w halogens and they are brilliant OuchOuch
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2014 at 7:25pm
Quote and they are brilliant

Apart from the 250W halogen part, right?
James Tengo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Tengo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2014 at 7:37pm
And the low CRI.......

Edited by James Tengo - 28 July 2014 at 7:37pm
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2014 at 7:39pm
Low lamp life...
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2014 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by norty303 norty303 wrote:

Quote and they are brilliant

Apart from the 250W halogen part, right?

hey!.. its a bloody good fixture and super bright, why the harshness?

If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2014 at 8:06pm
Ok, I'll give you this one, they do make a very nice red - I still love the redon my Destroyers.

Better?
Biggus View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biggus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2014 at 8:23pm
Thanks all some good pointers there. Movers have to be discharge,I want bright! all LED heads I've seen don't seem to cut it. Profile has to be spot as I want to use gobos and will mainly be used in medium size halls etc.
Stretch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stretch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2014 at 8:38pm
We're looking for a spot, discharge fixture.

We currently use freestyler to control our existing lighting fixtures so would be looking to utilise this for control.

We have 2 kam power bars which we use to provide the wash.

So looking to the moving heads to cover the gobos/effects.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>