Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > MT122
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

mt1281

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gonzo-4-bidden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2012 at 11:00pm
pfly your forgetting my point of this build, im not going for high end compete with the bigboys in clubs route with this, its a hobby i enjoy and only intend to entertain a few friends in the process, if it makes noise ill be happy, if the top end turns out to not sound how i want its an easy fix,

@ bitsmasher, havent tested them yet, gonna paint soon then have a play around, will post back soon
WANTED usb drivers, avc2
pfly View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2012 at 11:17pm
It is easy to fix, true Smile

I just have grown to dislike the APT personally.

You could use something like BMS 4524 combined to Faital STH100 or Eighteensound XT120 in there and be really happy.

IF the APT starts to bother you, then you could try something like that. Not too expensive.
Wrek0ne View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrek0ne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2012 at 1:35pm
I have some XT120's if your interested. Very nice looking boxes though Thumbs Up
Poll this!
burningbush View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burningbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2012 at 2:33pm
Those APT graphs are a not funny joke, super tweeter my #arse.
music is the message
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2012 at 8:08pm
  I think you just tend to notice the 'sparkle' more with APTs as they haven't got any real upper midrange output like a large compression driver, I run some Fane 1"ers above some Cerwin Vega 2"ers and find they need huge (almost silly) amounts of EQ to bring the sparkle out.       

What were those silly cheap bullets on fleabay everyone was harking on about?
pfly View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2012 at 1:32am
Not all 1" drivers are born equal, few decades ago also many 1" drivers pretty much required some sort of supertweeter.

Is that 1" Fane mounted on CD horn? If so then it is just the nature of that horn and really needs a shelf EQ to make top end "sparkle"
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2012 at 3:47pm
  I think you've hit the nail on the head there, I wasn't sure if the horn was CD or not but it must be as I've had to add quite a large shelf to it to bring out the sparkle. 
Gonzo-4-bidden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gonzo-4-bidden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2013 at 11:42am

ok, so ive loaded and painted these now and just been having a little play in the bedroom, i have the 12"playing from 170 hz to 900hz and the 8"playing from about 870hz to 3.5khz and the APT playing from 3khz to 20 khz, 
  i have set the delays and got the cabs time aligned but have no idea of phase alignment as i have no tools to test them but thats for another thread...

my only concern is the although the 8" is doing its job taking stress of difficult frequencies from the 12" and 1" upon soloing the 8" it just seems im wasting the potential of such a nice sounding driver, as the frequencies it plays are so high theres just no oomph? it sounds very clear but obviousely no depth,

still havent heard these with any bins yet tho so maybe thats when all will fall into place, 
WANTED usb drivers, avc2
elliotH92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elliotH92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2014 at 9:35pm
Any updates on these? Tried them in a stack yet? Building some labs n usbs soon, and just been scouting about for a suitable top to go above them

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gonzo-4-bidden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2014 at 10:57am
only have two of these atm but more than happy with them, i have just changed the tweeters as the apt's needed too much power to keep up, movin house this month so im gonna try build a couple more when in the new place, i did promise someone on here the dimensions and rough plan for the 8" horn, but ive been slack as lately, we use these above 6 usbs and it humms!!! do want labs or similar tho

WANTED usb drivers, avc2
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2014 at 1:33pm
i'd love to see some of your working out for the mid horn alright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gonzo-4-bidden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2014 at 5:12pm
lol, was merely hit and hope for the horn cravings, just started cutting and glueing, would be good to see if someone could sim thse

WANTED usb drivers, avc2
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>