Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Ported Enclosures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

mtl-46 sub

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj jammin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: mtl-46 sub
    Posted: 22 January 2017 at 1:31am
I'm tempted to try this design, I can see there is a build thread on here but has anyone built or heard this box and can give an opinion on how good it is for sub? I wonder if a pair of mtl-46 would give more output than my fane xb loaded g-sub crossed 33 to 72.. also would this box design be fairly flexible in what drivers would work well in it?
Reverence Sound system

nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2017 at 10:46am
Me too. However the similarities between this and the RCF 1018 worry me. The RCF cab is known for nothing below 50hz and will kill a weak driver if sub is put through it.
 Mark O has the MS-46 Hopefully the secret of this cab is the use of V1000 or 1850, thus allowing driver control.
Mark O's credentials are good, he won the Celestion competition for design of sub.
 I think it could work, much like a correctly EQ'd T18 can with a monster driver, but not otherwise.
Very cheap and easy to build but used V1000 and 1850 at a premium......

http://hornplans.free.fr/ms46.html
It's everything, not everythink!
dj jammin View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj jammin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2017 at 11:40am
For me the size of this cab is appealing and also the fact its apparently a hybrid reflex/horn.. would prefer to hear some comments from actual users about its sub bass abilities before building/buying drivers..   maybe the only thing to do is build one or two from mdf and give them a try.. the driver i would like to try out in this cab is the rcf lf18x401..
If this cab doesn't do sub well i might have to go for either the B&C sub18 design or go down the mini scoop route.. trying to avoid scoops but the extra efficiency is quite appealing.. as in it might work out less space/cheaper to have 2 scoops with premium drivers rather that 4 reflex boxes..
Reverence Sound system

Post Reply Post Reply