Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Multiple amps in same freq band

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silas )))))) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Multiple amps in same freq band
    Posted: 11 July 2008 at 7:21pm
right i might be missing something drastic here but eh...

say you wanted to run more than 4 way i.e. 6 or 7 amps in a big system how would you go about it???

cheers and excuse the nievity, nievety, nievaty or however you spell it 
Deadbeat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2008 at 7:28pm
Run an LMS/Xover on the output of another LMS/Xover.

If one LMS can do the amount of amps you want in mono, just do 1 per channel.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't read the title carefully enough.

Edited by Deadbeat - 12 July 2008 at 2:04pm
Away on extended leave.
Spesh View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spesh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2008 at 7:30pm
Do you mean sending a different signal to each amp (ie 5,6,7 way operation), or having say several amps running the same frequency?

They're are plenty of lms's that can do 6 and 8 way mono. Or if u were talking about running multiple amps for the same frequency band, you can either use a distribution amp or daisy chain the amps. Although in most cases they will have to be daisy chained xlr-jack-xlr-jack......etc etc...
Symmetry Soundsystem
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2008 at 7:35pm
Well it depends on what you mean by '4 way', as in your example above you seem to link the number of amps directly to the number of 'ways' the system is.  6 or 7 amps would not make your system '6 way'

My rig is 5 way but runs off 3 amps mostly.  Subs off 1 amp, kicks off another amp, mids off ch1 of amp 3, tops and supertweeters (passively crossed) off ch2 of amp 3.

If you you mean, how would you go about adding another amp to drive 4 more bass bins in addition to the 4 you already have (as an example number) you could either get a Y split cable out of the relevant crossover output and connect it to both of the amps, or the more usual way is to link out of the first amp, into the second amp.

Most amps have 2 'inputs' for each channel, usually a combination of xlr and TRS jack.  These are in fact both inputs and outputs as they are simply wired in parallel.  You could go from x-over output to XLR input, then link out with a TRS jack lead to the jack socket of the next amp.  In relation to Spesh's post above, you don't have to go XLR-->jack, jack-->XLR, etc as they are not designated in or out, so you would prob go XLR-->XLR then jack to jack, then xlr's again as the cables are easier to come by/make up and are more versatile to have in your cable box.

So if you have a big rack of amps all doing the same job you just put 1 signal in at the top and then daisy chain down the rack as you would when connecting speakers in parallel.  Some manufacturers (QSC for 1) route the ch1 inputs to the ch2 inputs when in parallel and bridge mode so you have a full set of connectors available to you.

Edited by norty303 - 11 July 2008 at 7:37pm
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
Silas )))))) View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silas )))))) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2008 at 8:31pm
sorry i mean say -

3 amps running the bass section - same freq
2 amps runing mids
1 amp running tops

so running 3 way but with six amps.

what bit a kit would i need to do so?

Cheers

Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silas )))))) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2008 at 8:32pm
cheers norty i get it now you can link the amps htrough the inputs, just wasnt sure how safe that was so -

xover bass - into one amp then linked from that amp to another

and so on? 
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2008 at 8:48pm
Correctamundo
Thumbs%20Up
colinmono View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinmono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2008 at 7:44am
Originally posted by norty303 norty303 wrote:

If you you mean, how would you go about adding another amp to drive 4 more bass bins in addition to the 4 you already have (as an example number) you could either get a Y split cable out of the relevant crossover output and connect it to both of the amps, or the more usual way is to link out of the first amp, into the second amp.

Most amps have 2 'inputs' for each channel, usually a combination of xlr and TRS jack.  These are in fact both inputs and outputs as they are simply wired in parallel.  You could go from x-over output to XLR input, then link out with a TRS jack lead to the jack socket of the next amp.  In relation to Spesh's post above, you don't have to go XLR-->jack, jack-->XLR, etc as they are not designated in or out, so you would prob go XLR-->XLR then jack to jack, then xlr's again as the cables are easier to come by/make up and are more versatile to have in your cable box.

So if you have a big rack of amps all doing the same job you just put 1 signal in at the top and then daisy chain down the rack as you would when connecting speakers in parallel.  Some manufacturers (QSC for 1) route the ch1 inputs to the ch2 inputs when in parallel and bridge mode so you have a full set of connectors available to you.

Could we make this a sticky post in the newbie section? I've seen it asked and answered a lot on here (probably by you or JBL man most of the time Clap), one of those things that is confusing until someone explains it to you. 

Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silas )))))) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2008 at 8:46am
yer a sticky would be good i spent ages trying to find info on it!

cheers for clearing it up
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2008 at 11:24am
Stickied and amended title a bit...
bassmish View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassmish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2008 at 11:49am

I use 4 amps for bass and link them as you're describing above, but I'm pretty sure that by the 4th amp the signal isn't half what it was when it emerged from the x ova which is very frustrating. does anyone here experience this and do you have any tips? there must be some signal boosting device? don't really have any money left so cheap diy solutions would be much appreciated!

ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2008 at 12:01pm
One of the amps might have an unbalanced input so when you link out of it the amps further down the chain are only getting an unbalanced signal?

Try the amps in a different order and see if it makes a difference.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>