Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Show Off Your Sound System
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My first rig - 2 x MT121, 4 x ES18-BPH

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My first rig - 2 x MT121, 4 x ES18-BPH
    Posted: 22 June 2015 at 4:41am
After my first project detailed in http://forum.speakerplans.com/my-first-big-project-semibudget-mt121s-pics_topic79930.html?KW= , I quickly decided i needed bass. So i started an ES18BPH x 4 project. 

After about 2 years of construction, learning how to use them and accumulating all the gear i need, my rig finally had it maiden voyage at a roughly 300 person Winter Solstice open-air psy-trance party last weekend. I made these for this exact purpose and they exceeded all my expectations of what they would sound like running full power. I have already had quite a few people asking to use them for other parties.

Drivers and amps used are:

Tops: 
2 x P.Audio 2" BMD-750 mk2
Crown XLS 1500

Mids:
2 x Precision Devices 12" PD123 ER
T.Amp (thomman) TA-2400 MK-X

Lows:
4 x Fane 18" 18XB-800
Quest QA-4004

Thanks to everyone on this forum for your input and knowledge, i wouldn't have been able to get them where they are now without you guys!

Here is the final product in their natural habitat.

And here is the build of the ES18's

rish View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2015 at 7:16am
Very nice. place them all together with the mouths coupled and watch them come alive. nice build.

Rish
matty w View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2015 at 8:29am
Very nice mate , lots of fun :) , couple of questions if I may :D, how do you find the es18 meets the mt and what frequency have you settled on for crossing the comp over ?

Iv had mt121's for years and tried many different combos , the latest is pd123 Er with a jbl 2447 1.5" comp on a 18 sound 1464 .... Iv found the pd 123er quite usable but craved something a bit more hifi (open and musical sounding) but that mite be the limitation of the horn tbf .
The jbl 2447 is good but wrong driver for the job really , it doesn't go high or low lol , to me it's an extremely powerful driver for 2.5 k to 10 k , it will get high with eq ofcourse but the diaphragm is just too heavy for it to sound rite IMO and you can cross it really low too but the sound quality just goes when you start to cross over any lower than 2k IMO !!
Black to black , red to red , blue to bits ....

matty w View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2015 at 8:31am
Love the blue btw :D I quite like them quest amps , where abouts are you based as iv only seen them in Australia ??
Black to black , red to red , blue to bits ....

macca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2015 at 8:56am
Melbourne, Australia. Was an eBay purchase. Heavy as f... though. 47kg

I did minimal EQ, and they did not have any holes that i could hear. I cross them at 35/170/900 24LR.

I set the lows to 35, which i'm told isn't recommended for these cabs, but i didn't hear 1 bit of distortion or honky'ness. I'm not pro by any means, so once i get a bit more full set-up experience, i can perfect the sound even more. 

Everyone was blown away (including myself) on how clear the whole dynamic range was. I think they sounded best when techno was being played. When the psytrance started, i could have maybe turned down the high end a little bit, but that is all going to come with experience. I built them for exactly what i used them for last weekend, and they are perfect.

I still can't believe it. I was so worried how they would sound turned up. They have given me a new motivation to take this sound stuff more seriously.

Edited by macca - 22 June 2015 at 9:04am
AM55 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AM55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2015 at 10:06am
Well done on the rig.

Looks like someone splashed out on the lighting rig too. Any pictures/vids of the party in action?
fat_brstd View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fat_brstd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2015 at 2:52pm
Nicely done, would like to hear it sometime. Nice to see another home brew rig in Melbourne, there's a fair few of us now.
Adrians Wall Sound System
Melbournes Rootical Warrior
Roots - Dub - Steppers

facebook page
THECANDLEMAN View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THECANDLEMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2015 at 3:35pm
I love the es18 boxes

have a play with changing the hpf and maybe have a go at running the system 4 way and see which way you like the sound of. Both will effect the upper bass and musicality I would think

Edited by THECANDLEMAN - 22 June 2015 at 3:36pm
Motion Systems - Void Airmotion, Airten & Stasys 218 With Powersoft DSP
macca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2015 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by fat_brstd fat_brstd wrote:

Nicely done, would like to hear it sometime. Nice to see another home brew rig in Melbourne, there's a fair few of us now.

Yeh, im mates with the bat feats guys, they answered alot of my questions coming upto this gig.
macca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2015 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by AM55 AM55 wrote:

Well done on the rig.

Looks like someone splashed out on the lighting rig too. Any pictures/vids of the party in action?

I'll post some when I get home tonight. Lights arn't mine. I was expecting to setup under a cheap gazebo on a card table, but when i got there I was greeted with this. Truly was the perfect first gig.
macca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2015 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by THECANDLEMAN THECANDLEMAN wrote:

I love the es18 boxes

have a play with changing the hpf <span style="line-height: 1.4;">and maybe have a go at running the system 4 way and see which way you like the sound of. Both will effect the upper bass and musicality I would think</span>

Yeh, wouldn't mind building a sub for each side, but money and space in my house is limited at the moment.
THECANDLEMAN View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THECANDLEMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2015 at 11:17pm
If the crowd size or space is small and allows try on each side

Bottom es18 45-120 then
upper es18 90-170

If you can put them in a block and run 2 lower and 2 upper bass in one block should notice even more

Edited by THECANDLEMAN - 22 June 2015 at 11:18pm
Motion Systems - Void Airmotion, Airten & Stasys 218 With Powersoft DSP
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>