Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My New Midtop(s)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote doober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My New Midtop(s)
    Posted: 08 February 2011 at 9:19pm
I've finally built one. It still needs a bit of trimming, rounding, filling, painting and wiring up, but it's nearly there. 3 more to make, I've made all the throat/chamber modules for the low mid and nearly finished all the mid horns. They might be done in time for summer....

Kieran
Blahblahblah
Teunos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2011 at 9:24pm
may i be the first to comment on this:
Woow, absolutely jaw dropping.
I bet this sounds absolutely lush Big smile
How big is it? it looks so compact and tiny.

Edited by Teunos - 08 February 2011 at 9:25pm
Best regards,
Teun.
Gonzo-4-bidden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gonzo-4-bidden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2011 at 9:25pm
Clap feckin hell, that looks awesome, whats your x-over points if you dont mind my asking?
WANTED usb drivers, avc2
luke_0301 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luke_0301 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2011 at 9:32pm
access to the drivers is genius!Clap
more bass please
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2011 at 9:42pm
That is a very complicated build and i really dont get it how you access the drivers.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
doober View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2011 at 10:03pm
Size is 500mm wide, 700mm high, 610mm deep.

Crossover pints aren't definite yet, there's a fair bit of overlap available between bands, when I've got a pair finished I'll do some measurements to get the best settings. They will probably be low mid/ mid at 500hz, mid/hf 3.5khz.

The mid horn is removable complete with driver (and milk pan), there are a pair of tabs at the rear of it's baffle which engage with hooks on the top panel of the cab (you can see these on the first picture, left of the baffle), the front lower edge will be screwed down to the hf horn surround panel.

When the mid horn is removed the low mid driver is accessible in the box, below the aluminium plate. The comp driver is a bit fiddly to fit due to the lower bolt position, but it's not too bad.

Kieran
Blahblahblah
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2011 at 10:22pm
Good job so far. Is it a calculated design from the ground up, or is it an idea you hope will work?
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2011 at 10:29pm
i love them. great job.
tomschute View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomschute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2011 at 10:30pm
Clap

about time to!
Out to lunch... stableaudio@hotmail.co.uk
www.stableaudio.co.uk
Speaker Building Services
doober View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2011 at 10:34pm
Thanks Tony. It's a combination of 3 modules I designed over the last year or so. They were all done in a semi scientific way, I had a look at the theory, did some calculations and sims, built prototypes to listen to and mess with. I have tried this combination already (with the prototypes) and it sounded good. Now I have some more suitable drivers for the low mid it'll hopefully sound very good.

Marjan- yes it is complicated, even more than those pictures show. This probably wouldn't be viable as a box to build for profit, but as I am only building 4 for my own use it doesn't matter. The more time and effort I put into making speakers the more satisfaction I get using them.

Kieran
Blahblahblah
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2011 at 2:07am
Some quality woodwork there Doober,Clap , can seel a lot of effot has gone in, all those compound mitres look like fun...They look neater than my last ones, how are you cutting them?  I ended up on the band saw with a sliding mite gadge but it wasent ideal.

Is it a 10" for the low mid?  If so what driver?
James Secker          facebook.com/soundgearuk
James@soundgear.co.uk               www.soundgear.co.uk
VlatkoT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VlatkoT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2011 at 2:48am
Look at the eyes of the black cat in the second picture.Awesome looking,like they say:Are you afraid of me or you are afraid of the speaker.Nice idea by the way.It was time someone to invent something new.Clap
Why to live 7 days like a poor idiot When you can live 100 years like billioner
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>