Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

need advice on first build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swedgin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: need advice on first build
    Posted: 16 August 2015 at 5:02pm
Hello

2 friends and I saw couple of weeks back on a festival for the first time a 12V system (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mini-un-12V-Sound-System/318274691705361) in action. Impressed by the sound quality and strength, we've decided to look into building one ourselves. The only problem is that none of us has experience in building speakers. I've a good bit of knowledge of the electrical part but the sound engineering part is a bit more difficult for me. Hence these questions.

It would be for several genres but mainly dub and we'd be playing outside.
At first we would like to build a 3way system and depending on the costs with 1 or 2 amps with a DIY passive crossover. We should build for starters a 12" for bass, 8" for mid and horns for top. We thought that we should first buy high efficiency drivers and cheaper amps so that it is easier to upgrade (easier to buy a better amp and etc, instead of rebuilding the speakers). Please correct me if I'm wrong.

My question now, what brand of drivers or which site do you recommend for buying the drivers? We're from Belgium.
Is there a lot of difference between a 12" or 15"?
Is 8" good for mid with looking forward for a 4way and reuse this driver?
How much wattage should the drivers be if we want to play it for at least 4 hours at 3/4 volume with an average 12V battery?

I'm sorry for these rather open questions but we want to inform us good so we can make up a cost estimate and see what parts we eventually have to limit.

Thanks

Greetings
Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2015 at 5:38pm
For how many people?

My Tinnitus is coming along nicely!!
Sapro2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sapro2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2015 at 6:46pm
Hello Swedgin. Lets start off with the easy answers:

1) where to get your drivers. On mainland europe Thomman are probably a good bet (as speakerstore seemed to have dissapeared - anyone? Have they closed down?)
2) 8 inch for mid should be good
3) wattage/ speakers to use: a more difficult one. If you are intending to hoof it out then expect your battery/s to run out quickly. If you use a bog standard car amp expect you battery/s to run out quickly. Have a browse through this forum for info on ta2020 or ta2024 for low power but battery efficient power. Alternatively look for a Sure or others for a bit more wattage.

Depending on what you want to do a low wattage amp will kick out a suprising amount on the right speakers. I have just bought 3 ta2020 ready made amps off ebay (20 quid ish each) to run my normal pa (horn loaded bass, horn mid and horn tweeters) 3 way active from battery. 120w only but with efficient speakers it will be suprisingly loud and enough for a party. It will also have more oomph than some crap mains rigs that i have seen but will run all night from 12v

As i said have a good browse of this forum. Also make sure you run a circuit breaker.
Splat Soundsystem
Baby Sham pram Soundsystem
Sapro - SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/sapro
DJ Sapro. West country free party DJ and Producer.
Swedgin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swedgin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2015 at 12:02pm
@shortrope, for starters 50 people would be nice

@Sapro2 thanks for your answers. I'm quite impressed by the low wattage I need for this build. With that in mind I think we can go with 2 amps from the beginning with an active xover for bass and mid/top and passive xover for mid and top. I'll do a good search one this forum.
I've looked at Thomman but I think there are cheaper options. Comparing with other sites like amazon and part express, the're a bit more expensive.
mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2015 at 2:50pm
Without going into details, Thomann is a pretty cheap European site, especially if you look into shipping costs, after you have shipped it here. Two times 12-280/8a (the box) in what looks like 2 x THAM 12's and you're bass section is covered.

Johan
Swedgin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swedgin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2015 at 5:46pm
I'd like to know why you recommended this driver and bin design. It'll help me to better understand why you chose for one thing instead of the other and what to look for in chosing the setup.

Is it best to first chose the drivers, then cutoff frequencies and then bin design?

Edited by Swedgin - 18 August 2015 at 5:51pm
Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2015 at 6:01pm
50? Build a Boominator and a Tham or Cubo15!
Swedgin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swedgin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2015 at 6:30pm
Thanks for the suggestion but we're not looking for a boominator. We're looking to build a mini soundsystem on 12V that we can upgrade along the way and how we see fit. We want to give outside (after)parties with it.
Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2015 at 6:43pm
I hear yer...I was just saying as we've had upwards of 50 peeps partying to our Boominator Sub bike rig.
krazyneil View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krazyneil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2015 at 6:50pm
i would suggest ether a tham 12/15 or cubo 12/15 depending on your size restricions , i would think the cubo would be better if your restricted on driver price as it works well with a variety of drivers .

the tham is a trapped horn and the cubo is similar both would give you good extension up to 120hz with the right driver and would be louder than a reflex design 

you can then run into a nice 10 or 8 plus 1" comp reflex cab, i would suggest using a bms 4524 1" comp very sweet sounding comp and 113db high effiency which means it would be alot louder with the same input power than say celestion 1445 which is only 106db, it is also a bargian price at the momentSmile

when building systems like these its important to take effiency into account when choosing drivers so to get the most sound output from limited ampification

hope this helps
GOD TOLD ME TO DO IT !!!!!
Swedgin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swedgin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2015 at 10:17pm
^thx

I did a bit of more research and talked with my friends and we came to this.

We found a small pand that we can play in. So we thought for starters.

1 cubo15 with fane sovereign 15-400, i think it's the best budget choice, closest T&S parameters with the recommended ones (<100ish euros)
(other 15" drivers i considered where fane sovereign 15-400lf and the box 15-300/8-A)

1 cubokick 12, dunno the driver yet. Or should we directly go for a 15"? if we decide to build another cubo15, then we don't need to upgrade this one

1 x10 or m102/101, bms 4538/4524 for comp, dunno yet the mid.

The cubo15 will provide up untill 110Hz, than the kick will pick up to 250Hz and than the mid top will take over.

will this be a good system that will be runnable from a 12v battery? how big of amps do you suggest for this? i'm looking atm at 100w for the bass an 40w for midtop
i also think the woodwork for this setup isn't that hard and will be doable for first timers

thanks

Edited by Swedgin - 17 September 2015 at 2:00am
Swedgin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swedgin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2015 at 1:58am
oosp, tried to edit my post.

Edited by Swedgin - 17 September 2015 at 1:58am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>