Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

need advice on first build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ-Dulux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2015 at 6:49am
Originally posted by Swedgin Swedgin wrote:

1 cubo15 with fane sovereign 15-400, i think it's the best budget choice, closest
T&S parameters with the recommended ones (<100ish euros)
(other 15" drivers i considered where fane sovereign 15-400lf and the box 15-300/8-A)

1 cubokick 12, dunno the driver yet. Or should we directly go for a 15"? if we decide to build another cubo15, then we don't need to upgrade this one

1 x10 or m102/101, bms 4538/4524 for comp, dunno yet the mid.

The cubo15 will provide up untill 110Hz, than the kick will pick up to 250Hz and than the mid top will take over.

will this be a good system that will be runnable from a 12v battery? how big of amps do you suggest for this? i'm looking atm at 100w for the bass an 40w for midtop
i also think the woodwork for this setup isn't that hard and will be doable for first timers.

So the bass keeps up with the rest of the system and considering you will have no room gain, and phycoacoustics are against you i would look at 4 cubos for that set up. This means your 4 cabs can run off a car digital amp or sure 2x100w and not pull silly current to get the spl you want. The rest looks fine, add a minidsp to do the cross over and will be a great set up.

Look at the maxamp20 for the top, nice little amp.

With 100ah battery set up you should get a decent run time, maybe 6-8hours if you pick your amps well. With only 1 cubo this would reduce dramatically.

I'd still consider the boominator and a cubo15 or 2. Gives you the start of the system above and a smaller stand alone system for gigs upto 50 people or so.

Dupe...
Dupe...
Swedgin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swedgin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2015 at 10:55am
Ok, good to know we'd need 4 cubo's for that setup. Than idd a boominator for starters looks good. But we don't need 360° sound. Shouldn't we than better look at a halfinator, a 12"/1" 2way like in http://www.eighteen.it/Enclosure-Design (as Johan from cubo design pointed me out via mail) or a 10"/1" version?

Edited by Swedgin - 17 September 2015 at 10:56am
DJ-Dulux View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ-Dulux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2015 at 11:12am

The Boominator is a work of genius, the more I look into it the more I find. Everything from the port tuning to the cabinet design is thought about and optimised through testing and science. You would have to do a lot of R&D to do better. That was my conclusion after going down a very similar path to you.

Regards the 360deg sound, this is to reduce / eliminate the baffle effect, you could loose a massive 6dB here (hence I said 4 cubos to keep up with your mid/tops). Speakers radiate in all directions once the cabinet become small compared the wavelength you are reproducing. By having a bass driver on both sides you eliminate this as when the baffle effect hits you simply here the driver on the back as well as the front bringing back the 6dB.

If 360 sound was not needed you could loose the rear tweeters and just leave the bass drives, you could then do some work with the crossover, but I would think you would leave the rear bass drives running up to 300Hz as a starting point (hopefully Saturnus will see this and give his view on this).

The halfinator is still a 360deg sound machine.

Dupe…

Edited by DJ-Dulux - 17 September 2015 at 11:17am
Dupe...
Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2015 at 11:24am
The Boominator is quite literally a Savage piece of kit!
Nothing quite like it for size, SPL and sound quality outdoors!
Always amazes folks when they see/hear it.
My Tinnitus is coming along nicely!!
tjc12345 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjc12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2015 at 12:17pm
I can't wait for the festival it's gonna be wicked!]

For tweeters I would advice these badboys cheap and cheerful! 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/33359-Professional-Heavy-Duty-Titanium-Bullet-Tweeter-Speaker-300-W-8-ohm-18-Oz-/271040890280

Good luck 
DJ-Dulux View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ-Dulux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2015 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by tjc12345 tjc12345 wrote:

I can't wait for the festival it's gonna be wicked!]

Which one? Midlands 12V meet up (yet to be organised)?

Dupe...

Edited by DJ-Dulux - 17 September 2015 at 12:24pm
Dupe...
Swedgin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swedgin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2015 at 12:45pm
DJ-Dulux View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ-Dulux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2015 at 11:22am
Those drives look like they have seen better days, would certainly budget for a re-cone. Re-cone will be 40-50 quid, now you knocking on the door of £100/driver you could buy new Oberton 15B450 which seems good as confirmed here by Mr Cubo.
Dupe...

Dupe...
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2015 at 2:36pm
I have seen those cheap bullet tweeters in the flesh - I really couldn't reccommend them; they are poorly made. The casting is not very good and the bullet is not properly centred. The diaphragm (at least on all the 16 units I had from a client) is actually not right at all - the coil former is too long, and touches the bottom of the magnetic gap. This means it cannot move freely and is pushed off-centre when the driver is assembled. So the sound is much, much quieter and more distorted than it should be. I think they are being sold off cheaply as there were so many mistakes in their production.
It seems, unfortunately, that there is no such thing as a usable bullet tweeter for less than £60 (although that is still half the price of the original JBL 2402 bullet). 
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
Swedgin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swedgin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2015 at 4:09pm
^thanks for the heads up

Sooo, we've sit together and decided to leave the boominator and go for a 2way 12" cabinet (http://www.eighteensound.it/Enclosure-Design) on top of 2 cubo15's. It's a simpler and cheaper design.

I've looked at the drivers and came with these:
2x Fane Sovereign 15-400 2*83 euro
http://www.thomann.de/be/fane_sovereign_15400.htm
-> confirmed by Mr. Cubo via mail.

For the 12" driver:
- Eminence Beta-12A-2 79 euro
http://www.thomann.de/be/eminence_beta12.htm?ref=prod_rel_290192_1

For the tweeter:
- BMS 4538-8 69 euro
http://www.thomann.de/be/bms_45388_ohm.htm

With a maxamp20 for the 12" cabinet. For the cubo's I'll need a more powerful amp I guess?

Thanks

After this

Edited by Swedgin - 07 October 2015 at 4:49pm
Swedgin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swedgin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2015 at 4:51pm
I've updated my post, we got all the drivers exempt for the horn. Can someone point out where to look for when looking for a good horn for the tweeter?

Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12