Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need help to set a brick wall limiter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need help to set a brick wall limiter
    Posted: 23 April 2014 at 8:14pm
Hi, I just got a Composer Pro MDX2200 for the soul purpose of putting a brick wall limiter on my system to prevent DJ's ragging the sh*t out of it.

I've been told this requires something along the lines of setting the attack and the ratio correctly in order to use the threshold as a peak limiter, is this correct?

Could someone please tell me the settings I need to set a brick wall limiter, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Grubbah View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grubbah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2014 at 8:20pm
Ratio of infinity:1

taurusty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taurusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2014 at 8:27pm
Not sure if the Berry has infinity to one.
Next best case: use the highest ratio available, with the shortest attack and longest release. Do not use any 'Over-Easy' compression options that may be offered.
At the least, I strive for an audible effect that will tell the offender to back off the gain, but some may disagree with this approach....
jasonn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2014 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by Grubbah Grubbah wrote:

Ratio of infinity:1

Cheers but I've already tried setting the Ratio to infinity and the attack to 1 and the Threshold seems to have no effect when i increase volume on the input source (just playing a song out of iphone for ease).

I know what I want to do is really basic but I'm kinda new to compressors. Might need it spelled out a bit more... here's a pic of the front panel (just 1 channel but I set this as a stereo master):

doober View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2014 at 9:17pm
Looks like the comp is bypassed. Push the "in/out" switch on the right below the 1, this needs to be lit up. Also turn the gate threshold (far left) anti clockwise to "off" or you might find the quiet bits get a bit too quiet.
Blahblahblah
jasonn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2014 at 9:40pm
ok thanks a lot guys, getting some results now :) but when the compression/limiter kicks in it seems to compress the volume noticeably more during bassier parts of the song, i.e. with kick drums... sound kinda like side chaining.. is this normal? would if have anything to do with the 'SC MON' being on (red led button near the compressor threshold)?

also, does it matter what the gate ratio is set to?
BlueDragon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlueDragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2014 at 10:13pm
Turn the SC Mon off, it's been a while but I don't think it does anything if there's nothing plugged into the side chain sockets, turn it off just in case.

From the picture you've posted it looks like your problem is with the release setting. Attack wants to be at a low setting, as it is in that photo, but the release needs to be high. Set it to max then play with it a little till you get closer to what you're looking for.

I can't tell from that photo whether the auto switch is on, make sure it's off
LjudLahger View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LjudLahger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2014 at 10:16pm
Alot of this is explaind on youtube. Search for behringer compressor and such
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2014 at 12:42am
your iphone wont trigger the comp!

set the threshold to -10 to compensate for you 10dB outgain
Grubbah View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grubbah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2014 at 1:40am
Originally posted by jasonn jasonn wrote:

ok thanks a lot guys, getting some results now :) but when the compression/limiter kicks in it seems to compress the volume noticeably more during bassier parts of the song, i.e. with kick drums... sound kinda like side chaining.. is this normal? would if have anything to do with the 'SC MON' being on (red led button near the compressor threshold)?

also, does it matter what the gate ratio is set to?

Turn the gate off (threshold as low as possible). You have no need for that..

Bass and drums entering the mix are big dynamics, so will push your signal harder.

You're not trying compress your track, so notch your output gain back down to 0db, run up your signal input until your amps / xover / system starts to reach its limits and set an appropriate threshold at this point on a ratio of between 10:1 and infinity:1 and bring up your release! Your release setting controls how long the compression holds once exceeding your threshold. Too fast and your limiter won't be effective enough.

It will sound a rubbish when you ride hard against them. So you know when you have reached the systems limits to your specifications

As a compressor they are usually intended to control dynamics. You use the output gain to compensate the gain reduction.. The idea being you squash the dynamics of a signal whilst maintaining the gain level. Not needed for your application.

Edited by Grubbah - 24 April 2014 at 1:45am
 Post Reply Post Reply