Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Scoops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Neodymium drivers in Scoops

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2017 at 7:47pm
Marjan.  As everybody is thinking, "would it be rude"  I'll do it.  Deep  Dip Thumbs Up

No, I cannot speak Macedonian before you askEmbarrassed
It's everything, not everythink!
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2017 at 11:34pm
Ah, cool. That is constructive, so ill have it any time i deserve it.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
corell View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 2:24am
When you guys compare sensitivity, do you take into account that the 18NLW9601 has a very low Re?
Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 3:26am
What is Re exactly if you dont mind explaining? I know i can google it but..
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 11:57am
Simple answer would be the drivers resistance. But things are bit more complicated :-)
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 12:01pm
Let me take a guess , lowest resistance regarding frequency ?
Teunos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

Simple answer would be the drivers resistance. But things are bit more complicated :-)
No they aren't more complicated. Re is the drivers DC coil resistance, period.
Best regards,
Teun.
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 12:15pm
Yes, true, but people are constantly mixing it with the impedance. So lower Re does not automatically means lower impedance.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
Teunos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Teunos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 1:29pm
So in order to create clarity we should be vague about a term that has a very clear definition?

Corell knows quite a bit about the phsyics of drivers.
And to be honest, a lot of people on here don't. 
What he was probably referring to, was that true sub efficiency is primarily dependent on BL and Re, which together determine the ACTUAL motor strength. Reference efficiency means nothing in a sub cabinet if you want to get the most out of a given cabinet/driver combo.

What Elliot is always dragging on about is simply voltage sensitivity, which has nothing to do with actual power efficiency converting amplifier power into acoutstic power, but only constant voltage into acoustic power.
The higher BL^2/Re, the higher the actual electrical efficiency.

But, and there is a big but, you need an amplifier capable of delivering high voltages to the driver!
Of course brutus may have found his TBX to perform better than the 115 given a constant voltage. 
Following Elliots reasoning (which i am not saying is wrong, just irrelevant) the voltage sensitivity of the S115 would be lower than for the TBX in a WSX sub. That is, without corrective EQ applied and using an amplifier not capable of delivering the voltage required by the speaker.
However, if you would apply corrective eq and have the voltage swing capability of a K20 for instance, the S115 would win hands down from the TBX since the electrical efficiency is simply much greater, which matters way more when producing sub than simple voltage efficiency.

If this is something people do not understand, i can suggest to read the following paper;

edit: I might have gone a bit off-topicLOL

Edited by Teunos - 30 May 2017 at 1:36pm
Best regards,
Teun.
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 2:43pm
Not off topic. All this need to be said.
I have trouble making long technical topics. English is not my first language so i have a hard time expressing my self.

The problem with the WSX and SW115 or the NLW9601 is tnhat i dont think they will fit. They are quite deep.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
corell View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 9:02pm
If you simulate with hornresp etc, you will most certainly apply the same voltage (2,83V) to all the different chassis tested. By comparing the sensitivity of a chassis with a Re of 4,7 against a chassis with a Re of 5,5 (allthough both might be 8 Ohm nominal speakers loaded in that particular enclosure), you could conclude that the 4,7 Re one is "more efficient" while in fact you are just "giving" them more power (same voltage + lower resistance).
So you should ideally simulate each driver with 1 w into their passband impedance minimum.
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 10:40pm
Yes you are right, so that is why simulations are only small part of the R&D. Real world testing is what really reveals the true results. Especially in horns which are impedance devices and real impedance is almost always higher then the nominal driver impedance.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>