Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New compact bass design

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New compact bass design
    Posted: 09 February 2015 at 8:13pm
As posted in the new projects forum. Should be good for 12v applications if it works anything like it sims (assuming I simmed it properly which is in question ;) ..  and assuming the sim is reliable anyway as it's a very narrow pipe) http://forum.speakerplans.com/bass-pod-a-very-compact-budget-bass-bin_topic90694.html

Edited by Hemisphere - 09 February 2015 at 8:16pm
bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2015 at 9:03pm
Took me a few seconds to realise the measurements are CM not Inch!
amlu View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amlu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2015 at 10:11pm
"all panels are 0.6mm? 6mm you mean? little bit on thin side for screwing and glueing.

i may give it a go in the springtime, to cold for my half-outdoor workshop at the moment :-)

will it need some delays when used together with a reflex  system?
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2015 at 10:16pm
Of course I mean 6mm :D you're welcome to try 0.6 though - think of the weight savings!

I don't think it will need a delay - tapped horns usually don't (iirc). 

My knowledge is very patchy, just learning on a 'need to know' basis but if I understand horn theory correctly it should be very efficient when used in multiples. As a single box it's an uninspiring 92dB/watt (86dB/watt at 59Hz so more or less like a reflex, but as you can imagine in multiples it starts to act more like one big horn with the associated efficiency that gives - and a not too shabby 1.5 metre horn path!

Note to self: Need to stop calling it a tapped horn. It's a tapped pipe. That's the line. No taper no horn.

p.s. dear Mr. Danley please don't sue, thanks.

Edited by Hemisphere - 09 February 2015 at 10:23pm
lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2015 at 11:09pm
Isn't this kind of a transmission line?
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2015 at 11:21pm
It not kind of a transmission line. It IS a transmission line..

If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2015 at 11:22pm
The box is a nice idea if you wana give the little sub from your cheap pc speakers a new home..

i'd also try to recalculate for 9mm maybe even 12mm wood as with very little surface area and gluing the last side panel on your never to sure if your gonna get a nice air tight fit or not.

still... lovely idea, i might upscale it for the tiny 8inch sub i have in my car........

Edited by mini-mad - 09 February 2015 at 11:26pm
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2015 at 1:41am
Originally posted by mini-mad mini-mad wrote:

The box is a nice idea if you wana give the little sub from your cheap pc speakers a new home..

i'd also try to recalculate for 9mm maybe even 12mm wood as with very little surface area and gluing the last side panel on your never to sure if your gonna get a nice air tight fit or not.

still... lovely idea, i might upscale it for the tiny 8inch sub i have in my car........

I see your point about getting a tight fit - I have to admit the design was envisaged as a precise CNC job - in that case the fit should be good enough right?

About it being a transmission line - does that mean it should be modelled or expected to behave differently to the way hornresp suggests? I think a 'tapped pipe' is not a standard variety of transmission line.. having a taper in the air path does affect the response but I didn't think it dramatically effected  the behaviour of the box - lots of 'transmission lines' or tapped pipes are documented online with measurements consistent with tapped horn boxes, competing head to head in shootouts etc.

Also, thanks! I hadn't considered how it might be flexible with other drivers. It's just a shame the Tangband sub drivers are SO deep.. if they produced a shallow magnet 5 inch with 11mm xmax.....:D

Edit: It just occurred to me that in the current arrangement a small amount of the sound pressure from the back of the cone might end up going the wrong way.. (backwards up the left hand side) - there's some flexibility to move the driver forwards but that has a detrimental effect on the predicted response (not to mention the centre of gravity)

Edited by Hemisphere - 10 February 2015 at 2:07am
davey t View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davey t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2015 at 9:31am
Looks neat but surely you'd be better off with a larger more efficient bass driver in just a reflex configuration? Sorry to burst your bubble but just seems like a lot of build effort to me. The wood will make it heavy too.
Minirig portable soundsystem movement
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2015 at 10:16am
Depends what the design constraints are I would have thought. What I didn't mention is that it's designed for a specific application where space is limited to 4 boxes (can only be 4 - not two larger or one larger still) with absolute maximum dimensions as shown. 

What can you suggest in reflex that would come close? A larger more efficient driver means a larger box and 10 litres external is the limit.

Have I misunderstood somehow about the efficiency gains afforded to an enclosure of this kind when used in multiples? As I say I'm really just going on what the sims say. Hornresp predicts a 6dB efficiency gain for each doubling of enclosures as opposed to 3dB with a reflex. Starting at 92dB for one box, 98dB for two, 104dB for four, etc. So 4 enclosures is equivalent to 4x 98dB per watt reflex boxes.

Wall or corner loading the same four boxes would just accentuate that efficiency gap even further.

So we're looking at 40 litres external, 28 litres internal and £54 in component costs for a four box system. The wood won't cost enough to stop it being cheap and the  build is an effort for sure but the weight will be low - there's only the equivalent of a single 50 x 75 x 6mm panel in the whole thing.

Edited by Hemisphere - 10 February 2015 at 10:44am
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2015 at 10:39am
Edit: double post

Edited by Hemisphere - 10 February 2015 at 10:39am
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2015 at 10:58am
It's an interesting little concept I give it that, I like the focus on minimal volume. It is a tapped transmission line so I would not necessarily expect much more volume than a reflex from it although that is of course going to depend on the driver a lot.

My first thought is that the size of the driver is going to obstruct a lot of air movement in the last part of the pipe, and as this is where half of the output must exit then that could be a concern regarding flow restriction.

Only one way to find out! If I built it I would not bother with screws. I would rebate all the panels about 2mm so that the build all located together nicely and then ratchet it around every axis several times using 90 degree clamps. I have built a couple of HiFi cabs like this before and it works well as long as you have the rebates to get everything together without too much drama. Couple of panel pins could help if you struggled with it disintegrating before you could get all the straps on.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>