Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New efficient neo system

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomas Hosker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New efficient neo system
    Posted: 13 March 2016 at 12:48pm
Yo whats up guys, its been a while since ive played with batteries but im feeling the urge to start a new project for the summer.

So my plans so far is 1 x RCF LF18N401 18" neo driver on bass. Maybe a 150L reflex cab tuned to about 40hz, i would like a decent low end extension but i also dont want to be using to much of my precious energy on the power hungry low notes.

For mids i have a load of P-Audio SN12-MB2 600w neo drivers, again lets keep it simple and compact. Nice little reflex cab but still plenty sensitive.

For highs i have some old 18sound Neo 1" comps that will fit the bill nicely, just need some horns for them. (anyone got some old 1" cd horns they want to get rid of on the cheap?)

For processing im thinking of using either MiniDSP of FreeDSP, whatever i can get my grubby mitts on sooner. Sub playing 40 - 80 then the mids can take over and i expect a crossover of about 2khz for the tops.

Amps will be a sure 4 x 100w for the tops, ive used these plenty before and they fit the bill nicely, bit to much power but thats never a bad thing ayyy. Im abit undecided on a amp for the sub, maybe a 1 x 200w sure board? Any recommendations?

Battery will be dependent on the event, if a car can reach the spot it will be hanging of a 110ah deep cycle, if not im playing with the idea of getting some A123 LiFePo4 cells to make a nice lightweight pack.

The actual cabs should be very light, using neo drivers, 15mm BB ply and LiFePo4 batteries. Ill grab a sack truck and fashion some sort of loading system to hold it securely on for any uphill hikes. Ideally i want to build the enclosures like i would any touring box but just aimed more for weight reduction. Maybe use some ally bracing or something...

The LiFePo4 battery pack will be self contained and separate, as will the amp/processing module. Therefor 1 guy pulling the 3 cabs on a sack truck will be easy, then another can grab the batteries and another amps. Oh and another 4 can haul the beer :)

Anyone used the FreeDSP boards? Ill probably just go for a MiniDSP as its easier but i have to be careful of price on this one.

Ill get designing some cabinets tonight and post up plots and plans later.

Im located right at the foot of the south downs in Old Town, Eastbourne. If theres any other systems local that like deep dark rolling drum and bass, techno, tech house and any other bass heavy sounds let me know for a link up, oh and impromptu 12v clash :)

Nearly forgot to mention there will be a 12-48v step up "booooost converter" inline before the amps but maintaining a nice 12v feed for the DSP. I will also allow a connection for a 400w pure sine wave inverter i have, this will be in a separate module and only used on rare occasions when battery power permits and we need to use CDJs, 1210s and DJM. Other that that all mixing will be from a Traktor S4.

I cant wait to get on the hills and beaches with some nice tunes and sound quality/volume levels alot better than my shitty bluetooth speakers

Edited by Thomas Hosker - 16 March 2016 at 6:58pm
WWW.T8Audio.Com
Thomas Hosker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomas Hosker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2016 at 12:57pm
On second thoughts i dont have enough outputs on the MiniDSP to facilitate the sub output. I think ill have to go mono, use a 2 x 100w on tops and 1 x 200w on sub then stick some passive crossovers in the tops.

When using the MiniDSP and 2 amps do i need 2 pre-amps? So it goes

Signal in > MiniDSP > pre amp > 1 x 200w sure amp
                             > pre amp > 2 x 100w sure amp

WWW.T8Audio.Com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomas Hosker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2016 at 7:41pm
Bit of an update,

Ive ordered a nice beefy 1200w boost converter, the one in question had some good reviews and its a bargain price so ill give that a go. Ive also just ordered a 2 x 300w TAS5630 amp board, this gives 2 x 200w @ 8r. For the moment ill run the system mono with a single 18 + 12 and 1" on a passive crossover. This also gives me the possibility to expand in the future and add a TK2050 for tops, giving 2 subs and 2 tops in stereo.

Ill grab a miniDSP board i think just to keep things simple. Anyone got one for sale? :)

Im also looking at some nice waterproof cases from CPC for the amps and batteries etc.
If theres any CPC voucher codes floating about let me know, this is very much a budget project thats getting quite expensive :(

Oh and ive sourced some LiFePo4 pouch cells for about £20 each, there 20ah and 3.2v each.

WWW.T8Audio.Com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomas Hosker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2016 at 7:42pm
Is there a 2in 2out DSP board thats around the £20 mark?
WWW.T8Audio.Com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomas Hosker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2016 at 8:33pm
These look interesting...

http://www.ebid.net/uk/for-sale/linkwitz-riley-opa2134-2-way-active-filter-by-kmtech-assembled-tested-141304014.htm
WWW.T8Audio.Com
komotive View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote komotive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2016 at 12:57am
Have you worked out your running time from the rig? Interested to see what the battery pack size is!
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2016 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by Thomas Hosker Thomas Hosker wrote:

Bit of an update,

Ive ordered a nice beefy 1200w boost converter, the one in question had some good reviews and its a bargain price so ill give that a go.

Any mention in the reviews of switch-on current inrush ?

Ive also just ordered a 2 x 300w TAS5630 amp board, this gives 2 x 200w @ 8r.  TK2050 for tops, giving 2 subs and 2 tops in stereo.

The 5630 amp will need 48-50V to deliver that power .... and thats way too much for the 2050 board. Another DC-DC converter ? If so, that'll add even more to the switch-on current ....

Ill grab a miniDSP board i think just to keep things simple.

Not so sure about simple .... it'll need yet another DC supply voltage. In the field tweaking will need a laptop all the time ..... and not sure about ground loop issues .....

REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomas Hosker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2016 at 8:32pm
Disregard the TK2050 idea, i hadn't thought that through. Ill stick with the single amp

Whats the best options for a crossover network then?

WWW.T8Audio.Com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomas Hosker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2016 at 8:41pm
Minidsp is 4.5~24Vdc input via header (150mA @ 5V) according to there PDF file. So should be fine just off the battery?
WWW.T8Audio.Com
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2016 at 9:12pm

Disregard the TK2050 idea, i hadn't thought that through. Ill stick with the single amp

Whats the best options for a crossover network then?

Well - you need to think through pretty carefully - otherwise you can waste quite a bit of money and time.

Re crossovers .... good question - I've looked into various possible solutions - and none are easy/straightforward TBH .... (well apart from using car amplifiers)

That board you linked to - may work well - BUT ....

a) Its a fixed frequency thing so you'll need to know frquency before you order (well - can be changed, but will need some soldering/faffing around a bit)

b) Its mono - you'll need 2 for stereo

c) It needs a split rail supply .... if using 24V battery, you'll need to DIY up a virtual earth circuit for it ...... which might then chuck up ground loop issues (maybe) - might need ground loop isolators - all this adds up to extra complication/wiring/switching/stuff to go wrong.

REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomas Hosker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2016 at 6:14pm
assuming its ok to run a miniDSP off the 12v battery with the boost converter on there as well ill just do that. Leaves me some flexibility in the future to add more channels too. If not, can i put a 5v step down for the miniDSP?

Ill build the cab/s and then workout any passive x/o before making them, i may just use 2 outputs of the minidsp to have a 40hz high pass and 80hz lowpass on channel 1 and a 80hz highpass on channel 2 with a passive for the 12" and 1".

Got a nice long weekend ahead so hopefully ill make some progress

WWW.T8Audio.Com
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2016 at 8:30pm
I use the KMTech boards for crossovering, available on eBay - he has several flavours; I've got them running straight off the battery voltage with a virtual earth circuit for the 0v rail, then capacitor-coupled at the outputs into a 2x300w Sure board. No ground loop issues - you don't need to connect the ground between thecrossover output and amp input. 
I'm using a 3-way board configured with 50Hz and 100Hz points - so I drive my sub from the "mid" output, and it recieves 50-100Hz, and the mid-tops from the "high" output, and they recieve 100Hz+. I haven't found a crossover board with a freely configurable highpass on the input, so this is my workaround.
I'm still not on the miniDSP hype, it just costs too much for what it does. FreeDSP is *much* more interesting ;)
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>