Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New P Audio 3 inch neo driver

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New P Audio 3 inch neo driver
    Posted: 05 November 2014 at 2:03pm
Just spotted this on Blue Aran: http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=PAUSN330N

Could it be the fabled Minirig driver? The plots seem to suggest a phenomenal efficiency (touching 100dB/watt in places)

Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2014 at 2:27pm
Id take p audio plots with a bucket of salt.
James Secker          facebook.com/soundgearuk
James@soundgear.co.uk               www.soundgear.co.uk
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2014 at 2:36pm
Same, but I trust Minirig plots.

lost eden View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lost eden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2014 at 3:30pm
As I've said in other threads, without actually dismantling my Minirig I am still 99% sure that it is a Tang Band driver, simply by the style of surround/adhesive visible through the grille. And without dismantling my Minirig Sub I am 100% certain that is a Tang Band driver (W3-1876S or similar).
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2014 at 3:32pm
There's something horribly wrong with that plot. According to that the driver has 20 ohm impedance, so something is definitely not right. Also average sensitivity is rated at 86dB/W/m which is always averaged in the listed usable frequency range, ie. 100-18000hz.

But you're right that the plot is virtually identical to the Mini-Rig plot so it's quite safe to say that it's the right driver and not a Tang-Band. Probably a OEM version with black cone.

Edited by Saturnus - 05 November 2014 at 3:36pm
lost eden View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lost eden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2014 at 3:40pm
If the image on Blue Aran is correct, this driver looks nothing like what's in the Minirig. The one in the Minirig has a smooth cone material (not woven carbon fibre like the P-Audio) & as I said the surround is a dead giveaway - the glossy ring on the inside of the santoprene is diagnostically a Tang Band feature & the Minirig clearly has it if you look closely.

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2014 at 3:43pm
Yes the smooth cone material was what I gathered from looking inside the grille holes, but those plots look too similar to be coincidence. Possibly a custom OEM variant is used in both cases?

Edited by Hemisphere - 05 November 2014 at 3:43pm
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2014 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by lost eden lost eden wrote:

If the image on Blue Aran is correct, this driver looks nothing like what's in the Minirig. The one in the Minirig has a smooth cone material (not woven carbon fibre like the P-Audio) & as I said the surround is a dead giveaway - the glossy ring on the inside of the santoprene is diagnostically a Tang Band feature & the Minirig clearly has it if you look closely.

Agree. Very definitely a Tang-Band (in that picture... but that not the Mini-Rig driver though). Conical dust cap is another give away.

Question is why is the plot published by Mini-Rig then for the p.audio driver? If you overlay the 2 plots they are identical. And I don't mean they are really really close to being the same. They are 100% identical. In fact, the Mini-Rig plot is just a copy/paste of the p.audio drivers data sheet plot. Even the impedance plot is exactly... and I do mean exactly the same.

Edited by Saturnus - 05 November 2014 at 3:58pm
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2014 at 3:50pm
The image posted isn't a Minirig it's just a tangband driver.
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2014 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by Hemisphere Hemisphere wrote:

The image posted isn't a Minirig it's just a tangband driver.

Makes more sense then.

Ok. Then unless someone does take the Mini-Rig apart. All indicators point towards the p.audio driver.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2014 at 4:03pm
I feel like it's kind of faux pas to give the game away, but 3 years is a very good run totally uncontested and there's obviously a lot more to it than good driver selection (besides the circuitry and enclosure design, by all accounts the customer service and after sales support has been stellar). 

lost eden View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lost eden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2014 at 4:03pm
The reason I posted that picture was to show the giveaway glossy ring on the surround, which all 3" full range drivers from Tang Band have & which the Minirig clearly has if you peer through the grille.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>