Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Feedback Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Newly purchased Turbosound TMS-4

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 4D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2012 at 7:49pm
Those cd102's are notorious for corrosion they are the only component that is partially open to the elements.  To save a lot of money I would be very wary of putting any new diaphragms in until you are totally totally and again, totally certain that you have cleaned out the coil gaps on the compression drivers perfectly, no roughness, no grit, no welded on fragments of the last coil.  Otherwise as you can imagine in go the new coils a couple of shows later & oop's coil carbonara..

A piece of credit card works well as a scraper followed by some masking tape doubled over sticky side out and run round the slit till its picked up all the bits of crap.. 

DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2012 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by 4D 4D wrote:

Those cd102's are notorious for corrosion they are the only component that is partially open to the elements.  To save a lot of money I would be very wary of putting any new diaphragms in until you are totally totally and again, totally certain that you have cleaned out the coil gaps on the compression drivers perfectly, no roughness, no grit, no welded on fragments of the last coil.  Otherwise as you can imagine in go the new coils a couple of shows later & oop's coil carbonara..

A piece of credit card works well as a scraper followed by some masking tape doubled over sticky side out and run round the slit till its picked up all the bits of crap.. 

Like the credit card bit, I've used copper wire in the past and a good 120 PSI of compressed air for the clean up, but much as the CD-102 does sound a bit sweeter than the 103 it does die easier, only good thing the RD-102 is halve the price of the RD-103, not that it help much 5 mins into sound check when you realise you need one!!!Smile
slaith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2012 at 10:01am
Hey!

So you were the guy that bought the TMS-4:s, saw the ad a while ago.
A slight twitch in the buy finger but decided not to in the end.

Those cabs actually look pretty well taken care of, have alot of fun with them.
Where abouts are you located?

And since you have them apart already.
I would sugest for the greater good of all mankind, get som pictures and maybe measurements of the Turbobass chamber.
Because there has been so much speculation on how it's made up and what it looks like and so on.
I think alot of people would be really grateful, I know I would atleast. Smile

Best regard
Patrik J
Hyppe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hyppe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2012 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by 4D 4D wrote:

To save a lot of money I would be very wary of putting any new diaphragms in until you are totally totally and again, totally certain that you have cleaned out the coil gaps on the compression drivers perfectly, no roughness, no grit, no welded on fragments of the last coil.

Im working hard on the cleaning process, took the opportunity to remove even the functioning one for cleaning.

Tape, creditcard, vacuum cleaner & crc Electronic Cleaner is the shiet :) 

http://200sx.kicks-ass.net/djhypnoz/img5053369cd717b.jpg

This Youtube vid is nice for noob´s like me: 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tfh-OvJ1o-Q&feature=share&list=UUwCFRpw-O1RO3dlUA9is5gA

Edited by Hyppe - 14 September 2012 at 3:10pm
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2012 at 12:17am
I have a few cd-102 with the blue turbo back & badges, and 4 b&c de 25 that I don't use in denmark.
Yes they use this beyma 350-16ohm diaphragm, if you're using passive filters notice driver ohms will affect crossover frequency, check updates for filters by turbosound, I have a link somewhere...

I have filters too, my tms-2's are now 3way speacon8, just tested a few tonight!

Hyppe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hyppe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2012 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by tv00 tv00 wrote:

I have a few cd-102 with the blue turbo back & badges, and 4 b&c de 25 that I don't use in denmark.

Pm me for Price!

Originally posted by tv00 tv00 wrote:

Yes they use this beyma 350-16ohm diaphragm, if you're using passive filters notice driver ohms will affect crossover frequency, check updates for filters by turbosound, I have a link somewhere...

But Original HF drivers are already 16ohms? so no difference?

Btw:
3way speacon8 is on the way on my TMS-4 to :)
Hyppe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hyppe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2012 at 10:38pm
I have now restored the speakers and for the first time tried their performence, Wooow :) I can only say that I am more than satisfied! I find it very difficult to see what you could get that is better for this amount of money

Now, however, the search for bass cabs started. what do you think (and why) is the best bass cabs to combine with Turbo sound TMS-4?

James Tengo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote James Tengo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2012 at 11:12pm
Tse 118 or tse 218. Basically the same as the bottom end you already have at the bottom of the TMS 4, so no more processing required, just adding more. Run them 30 to 250
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2012 at 1:14am
Originally posted by James Tengo James Tengo wrote:

Tse 118 or tse 218. Basically the same as the bottom end you already have at the bottom of the TMS 4, so no more processing required, just adding more. Run them 30 to 250
Don't run a TSE-x18 nder a TMS4 to 250, you get a load more bite in a 30-120 bracket. TSW-x21s work amazingly under them, again run 30-120, I use TSW-718 in a 35-100 under mine with good effect, 2 TSW 718s on their side stacked give good hieght for the TMS-4s.

If you add more bins a 80Hz hi pass on the TMS kick section gains you a load of efficiency, so you can really drive the bins low and get maximum punch from the TMS, IMHO  TSE-x18 is not the ideal box to sit under a TMS-4 as you want something that runs harder and lower than the existing 18", unless you go 8 TSE-218s aside in witch case they go loud and low....Big smile
Hyppe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hyppe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2012 at 1:49pm
it's really hard to find Turbos here in Sweden....

If i want to build something myself, what do you recommend then?
And please explain why you recommend it.

Im after all-round system!
(but if i have to choose i want it to sound best on 
Psy, house, techno, disco. it have to works for liveband to!)

slaith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote slaith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2012 at 3:24pm
Hogs maybe? Since the 18 in the TMS-4s will meet properly.

Myself I'm beginning work with the MHB-46 designed by Marc.O
I think jerronimo here has built 4 of them and swears by them so that's the way i'm gonna go for allround subs.
Though that's a hybrid horn so I suppose a little different sound from FLH:s, I don't really know since I've never heard eather. Embarrassed

But that's the conclusions I've drawn myself.

Maybe somebody else with more experince has some different input.

Patrik
Hyppe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hyppe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2013 at 9:28am
Hello Again!

Since last time I got myself a Dsp (BEHRINGER DCX2496)

Yesterday, I set up the TMS-4 for some tests.

What I noticed immediately is that Hf Turbosound CD-101 (Beyma CP-300) located in two of the boxes sounds very different from the B&C driver (BBC D20) located in the other two boxes.

Beyma cp-300 sounds much softer and more comfortable but you have to +db around 10 000 for them to come out properly

B&C driver sounds very sharp "tick tick" :) from the start. so this one you must instead reduce a lot db to get it to sound good.

i dont know how to do here?

1. Try find  two more Beyma cp-300 cheap
2. I can buy four Beyma cp-350ti (8ohm :/ ) cheap from a guy in Sweden
3. something else

I was also looking for low bass speakers to complement the bottom with my TSM-4, but realized that I already own a good low bass speaker myself, since it's about low bass 40-80Hz, bandpass boxes very effective here and since I already own two pieces active bandpass enclosures (The Box TA18(131db spl) I decided tested these out and they play very good low bass down to 40-50hz and is thus the most for your money when I just need to complement the two extra. Now I have tested these together with TMS-4 and they have no problem keeping up with the TMS-4 (rather the contrary).

I use the Dsp (BEHRINGER DCX2496) but i keep the passive x-over in TMS-4, why you ask?

1. Save some money to only use one 4-channel amplifier 4x810watt 4ohm (t.amp TSA 4-700),  need one more amp to go full active 4-way.
2. Need modifies to the TMS-4 to get them active
3. Need dsp on the active lowbas (The box TA18)

So now i use it like this:

x-over
40 - 80Hz The box TA18  (+9.5db and 3,6 delay to match the TMS-4)
80-250Hz Tms-4 bas
250 -   Hz Tms-4 mid hf

Anyone know how i in the future get the DCX2496 to work 4-way active, guess i need some more dsp?

Edited by Hyppe - 23 January 2013 at 12:24pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>