Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nexo PS15

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardstringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nexo PS15
    Posted: 27 April 2017 at 11:15am
I've got two dual 18" RCF L18P300 loaded subs which I put 2,500 watts continuous through each dual 18" sub and was wondering if two Nexo PS15 cabs would keep up spl wise with the subs running full blast. I play techno.
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2017 at 11:49am
without saying what type of cabinet they are in, etc etc, and if the PS15's are on correct controller or not [big difference to output!], or if they are biamp or passive [big difference], generic answer is yes they would keep up with most dual 18" cabs per ps15.

''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
richardstringer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardstringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2017 at 12:01pm
The Nexo PS15 cabs will be run passive with the PS15 controller, the 18" subs ate basically Wharfedale Delta 218b enclosurs. I modelled the RCF L18P300 drivers in WinISD to see if they'd be ok in the enclosures chanbers and they're fine.
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2017 at 12:08pm
will likely find the PS15 is more than a match for a dual 18" reflex cab, probably get away with two per PS15 for techno/DJ noise
''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardstringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2017 at 1:45pm
I've heard the PS15 cabs absolutely years and years ago but can't remember how loud they are, but thanks yeah that's good to know then, I wish I could find two more Wharfedale Delta 218b subs so I can fit RCF drivers in them too but finding them is near impossible because i've never ever seen any for sale second hand ever and they don't make them anymore.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2017 at 9:05pm
Two 18" subs or one twin 18" per PS15 is a good ratio, I've run that configuration many many times.

Tip: Don't use the sub output on the PS15 controller, use another crossover in 2-way mode around 120Hz with the TD2 in full range mode running off the high pass output.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardstringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2017 at 9:36am
120hz? I cross subs off at between 8-100hz and always have done. Plus i've read yesterday on this very forum after googling the Nexo PS15 cabs in Google that they're not very good for dance music, is that true? People on hyere were saying they're loud but have a hole in the mid range and are too harsh on the high frequency.

Here's the link :
http://forum.speakerplans.com/harsh-nexo-ps15-tops_topic22518_page2. - http://forum.speakerplans.com/harsh-nexo-ps15-tops_topic22518_page2.html

I play techno and oldskool hardcore like this below :

If the PS15 cabs sound crap or average for dance music then I won't get them.

Edited by richardstringer - 28 April 2017 at 9:38am
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2017 at 7:54pm
The frequency you cross between subs and mid-highs will vary depending on the cabs and the music style. I've done a lot of club nights with 18" reflex and PS15 based systems. The bass bins we tended to use had fairly light coned drivers which meant you could actually wind the crossover up to 140Hz or so and actually get quite a lot of kick from them for house/trance gigs. For the same system doing a live band I'd probably wind the crossover down closer to 100Hz.

Whether you'll like the sound of the PS15's mid-high is going to be personal preference. They're never going to have the smoothness of a 3 way cabs but that's the compromise for compactness etc. I would say that with the TD2 controller they're flat enough that you can EQ them to give the tone you want.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2017 at 7:57pm
Sounds like what you need are a pair of 1581 kits from Bluearan. Dedicated midrange, 1" HF, much more HiFi than a PS15 but larger and need to be bi-amped.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardstringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2017 at 8:23pm
Yeah but the 3-way cabs need to he put together and you need drivers and compression drivers plus they need painting too. It's too much hassle.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2017 at 10:25am
They will supply them fully finished if you ask.

You probably need to find someone with some PS15's, shouldn't be difficult and try them out.  Otherwise maybe look for some Martin W3 or their install version which are 3-Way cabs but not massive.

Another option would be to look for some 2x12" based boxes which would be likely to have a better midrange and ultimately more SPL than a single 15".  Mine keep up with 3-4 18" subs per mid-top.
4D View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2017 at 11:31am
My take on ps15's is that despite dedicated controllers, sense leads and internal fuses for protection they are prone to cooking them selves when used enthusiastically.  Then they weigh far too much, the re-cone kits are eye watering and who ever invented the magnetic grill fixing needs to go out more.      Other than that yes they are loud.

Edited by 4D - 29 April 2017 at 11:32am
DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>