Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Odd feedback noise coming from V18-1000

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KingGwarn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Odd feedback noise coming from V18-1000
    Posted: 19 January 2017 at 1:38pm
What's upp,

Got a strange feedback noise coming through one of my V18-1000 loaded, Proline 3000 powered hogs.

Having the gain all the way down on the mixer doesn't do anything so not a problem there, but the noise gets louder the more I crank the amp up.

Here's a video:

Using 2.5mm multistrand (trimmed down to fit Speakon hole) cable if that's of any relevance.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Edited by KingGwarn - 19 January 2017 at 1:38pm
Soundman inna Brighton town
King Gwarn Sound System
Brutus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brutus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2017 at 1:46pm
is this pink noise ? sounds pretty brown (shitty) to me.

did you have tried to 

- use no xover / processor
- use different amp
- use different amp channel
- use different speaker on same installation

this is just on one speaker? could it be a blown woofer, time for a recone? :)
did u already measuered the Ohm of the speaker, is it different then the other speaker?
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2017 at 2:08pm
Try playing music for Pink/White Noise will not tell us anything. If you are just hearing random noise coming from one speaker, it is either the amplifier or something further up the chain.

Best Regards,

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 19 January 2017 at 2:09pm
Elliot Thompson
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2017 at 2:36pm
a driver won't invent noise on its own. so either your crossover channel or amp channel is the cause probably. little bit of patience and swapping things over will find you what it is.

actually what's the mixer? i have a little soundcraft desk that makes noise like that with nothing connected and all faders down..

but yeah start by just running the amp with no input.
RUS View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RUS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2017 at 3:53pm
Dampness got into your amp gain maybe, I think I've had this kind of thing myself,
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2017 at 4:23pm
That is what I would call "shot noise", ie random impulsive noise, not following any of the normal white/pink/brown profiles, being generated somewhere before or in a high-gain stage. A classic symptom of a failed or failing small-signal transistor or opamp chip.

If it comes and goes with the front-panel volume control of the Proline, it must be coming from somewhere before that. On a lot of amps, the input socket is directly connected to the volume pot, before the signal goes through any other circuitry. Even a very dirty pot can't generate constant noise like that (only when it's being adjusted). However, on the Proline, there is a buffer/gain stage before the volume pot. So that could be suspect. It is one opamp chip and would probably be an easy fix. (says the man who has at least two amps with the same problem in the "getting around to it" pile!)

As has been suggested, disconnect everything but the speaker from the amp and see if the noise persists. If it does not, then reconnect the crossover, followed by the mixer, followed by a signal source. The point at which the noise reappears will tell you where it's coming from.
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
KingGwarn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KingGwarn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2017 at 2:41pm
So I solved this...was sending this strange static noise to a couple of other drivers too...just gave the Ultradrive a light knock with my fist and it solved it!

Happens every now and then but just needs a knock to stop it...any idea what exactly it could be in the Ultradrive?
Soundman inna Brighton town
King Gwarn Sound System
patryk1305 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patryk1305 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2017 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by KingGwarn KingGwarn wrote:

So I solved this...was sending this strange static noise to a couple of other drivers too...just gave the Ultradrive a light knock with my fist and it solved it!

Happens every now and then but just needs a knock to stop it...any idea what exactly it could be in the Ultradrive?

A possible dry joint?
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2017 at 3:22pm
Yes, poor connection inside the Ultradrive - take the lid off, remove and reseat the ribbon cables. This is a known fault. If that doesn't work, try it again with the application of a bit of Servisol 10 or Deoxit to the connectors.
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
B_Bender View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B_Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2017 at 3:27pm
classic Ultradrive frying eggs problem. 

bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2017 at 3:20am
Eggs Behridict
https://www.instagram.com/batteryacidsoundsystem/
 Post Reply Post Reply