Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Off-grid solar installation [lighting]

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Off-grid solar installation [lighting]
    Posted: 12 October 2014 at 8:30pm
so i have been over with my dad this weekend, and the generator at the stables has died and i suggested simply installing a 12V solar panel, battery bank, and replace all lighting with 12V LED units and do away with the genny/long term costs. Getting the barn on grid will cost £1500-2k connection charge, then the bills after this which he isn't prepared to pay. So i would like to price up the build, and get some advice off you folks as i know little to nothing about this subject!! He would also like the future option to add a large inverter to run a powertool or pressure washer on rare occasions when repairing stuff/cleaning the horsebox/yard etc.

In my head i will need a large solar panel, outputting 12V charge to a bank of lead acid batteries, a small fused 'distribution board', lighting fixtures/switches etc. Seems simple enough - or will i need some added control gear etc?

So next step is I am working out what lighting i would install, to get the average daily load so i can find a panel of suitable size. In the meantime, is there a type/brand of panel anyone can recommend me suitable for year round working in all weathers/light conditions?

attached some pics of the stable, can see the cheapy solar lights he already installed - will be putting two large LED floods off PIR sensors on the outside, then internal worklights over the four stable rooms and the central area.

Thanks!!

''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2014 at 11:52pm
You'll need a charging controller to make sure the batteries are charged correctly. Make sure you get one that has a good float charge control if the batteries will be unused for days at a time. Apart from that it's probably about as simple as you think it is. You could also get a powerpoint tracker which would help you get a bit more from the panels, probably you can get tracking units that also have charge control.

What sort of power generation level are you thinking? Should be fairly easy to estimate.

Edited by odc04r - 12 October 2014 at 11:52pm
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2014 at 11:59pm
its looking like around 200w lighting load, lets say 250w, twice a day for around 45min-1hour while they put horses out/in before and after work, often in the dark.

so realistically thats 42aH a day (2*(250/12)) maximum, and that's assuming they have all lights on! Say 10hours useable daylight average a day, that makes around 50w charge average required.... So if i put in a 300w panel and a few batteries parallel, i think that would be ample, even in the winter.....

i think?

Edited by mk2_ginger_biscuit69 - 12 October 2014 at 11:59pm
''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

Grinner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2014 at 12:14am
the cheaper panels  give you anything upto 30 volts (typically grid  tie 1s)
an you will spend more money on a MPPT charge controller than the panels.
this will automaticly sense what voltage battery bank you have an turn the volts to amps.
i have not done any fitting to anything but canal boats before.
and your prob best off asking the good people at bimble solar.
very helpful http://www.bimblesolar.com/ they will sort you out
i also recomend at least twice the amperage in storage than you think you will require.
and always buy with a view to expand the system so get a bigger mppt than you initially require.
with 220 watt panels less than £100 you would be mad not too.

ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2014 at 12:56am
You could always stick a wind turbine up as well!
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2014 at 1:03am
+1 in a wind turbine. But the cylinder type... not the windmill on a stick type as the go wrong sooo often.
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
Phil B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2014 at 1:11am
Hi Ginge

You`re going in the right direction. Firstly though I`d steer away from wet Lead/acid batts try get some deep cyclic SLA or equivalent. If you are going to add an invertor later maybe think about upping the batt voltage and running everything off the invertor. So look for 240v LED fixtures which can be cheaper than the 12v halogen with ballast option?
A 48v bank linked to panels is a much more efficient way of doing things and if you want to add say a wind genny later 48v is a better starting point? Also a decent 5kw invertor is difficult to find in 12v ...24v or 48v has more options especially if you want to be running power tools or pressure washers...they are quite big loads!

As said above you will need a charge controller for the panels which can keep them working with the batts ...an MPPT one is the best but beware the cheaper chinese units...go for one which exceeds your panel open voltage ( should be marked on the panels) and maybe double the ampage ... same as an amp...headroom is good!

I fitted a breaker panel to our solar trailer recently which included some decent dc breakers for the input side of the system..also make sure you put some fuses on the posi and neg side of the batt bank to protect it ( and you !)

Funnily enough I`m about to cobble together all the old panels from our solar rig onto the roof of our carport and run some LED lighting off it ! 

i do have the advantage of a LOT of sun though ..... Tongue

.p.
Mostly harmless.... except if catering is shut.

Solar Sound System Shennanigans..http://diyhifi.biz/
woody2 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woody2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2014 at 1:33am
http://www.navitron.org.uk/forum/ Wink
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2014 at 11:58am
Most of my grills are cut with solar energy. I have a single 80 watt panel which charges 2 x 75 amp/hr Yuasa leisure batteries (in parallel)  and that then goes to an inverter and provides mains power for my workshop.

The workshop is opposite my cottage and does not have mains. I used to have a long extension lead going across the road but for several years now I have done almost  everything with solar.

It sees me thru most of the year and I only had to resort to the extension  lead a couple of times in the depth of winter. I  do actually have a second panel waiting to be fitted so don't expect any problems this year.

Incidentally I just used a cheap (non MPPT) controller and thus far it hasn't given any problems.
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2014 at 7:54pm
thanks for all the help chaps!! i really really appreciate it Thumbs Up. Sticking to 12V lighting circuits for now, mainly as it's easy to do/affordable etc. Working out a rough costing, will add a hundred or two on top, then seeing what i actually end up with and over engineer to the best of my ability....

another interesting turn... they want to hold a friends and family festival in the 3acres of woods on the land next summer Big smile, i feel a big fat party coming on!!

Post Reply Post Reply