Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Opinions on MT130

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomas Hosker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Opinions on MT130
    Posted: 07 December 2014 at 4:02pm
Looking for people opinions and any general info i can get on the MT130 top.

Would that throat arrangement give a nice wide dispersion. What the realistic frequency range for the 12" section?

Most importantly how does it sound?

Cheers
WWW.T8Audio.Com
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2014 at 4:44pm
try the search function?
recent thread about it.. Nuclearbass on here had some for quite a while if you want first hand experiences etc., lots of info about them on here already ;)

kevinmcdonough View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2014 at 5:19pm
This is a hard one, not a massive amount of people have built them. There's a fair bit of info on their construction etc here and on FSP, but not a massive amount of actual listening experience, and comparisons to other speakers. At leas that I've seen.

The one, main person who did seemed to suggest that they sounded good but were very long throw, to the point of hardly sounding switched on up close but the sound developing further away and carrying really well.

There was some question though that he adapted the box slightly to be square bodied rather than trap (so rear chamber may have changed a bit) and that the driver he used may not have been ideal, may have been a bit more of a reflex driver.

Would be good to get a properly built set and compare them to an MT-122 and a commercial horn loaded cab or two, get a much better idea of what they can do.

People on Marc O's (the designer) french forum seem to love them though.

k
Thomas Hosker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomas Hosker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2014 at 7:44pm
I gave that a go Bass but we all know the search forum usually comes back with a load of crap and ancient threads. I was looking for peoples actual listening experiences on them as Kevin said.

They look super easy to build do i think ill just knock some up and give them a test, I must admit im not to happy about them being super long throw but ill try some different drivers and see what happens. Looks like the ideas is worth a go.

Thanks guys

WWW.T8Audio.Com
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2014 at 7:48pm
are you on super tight budget? Whats the goal with these?
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2014 at 11:05pm
In general, this type of cabinet is not designed for wide dispersion applications unless you're running 2 or 3 per side.  They are narrow frequency range, narrow dispersion but very high efficiency within those constraints.
kevinmcdonough View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2014 at 12:25pm
hey

yeah just reading over your original post its not wide dispersion at all, 30 degrees I'm sure. Designed to be used in groups of three really to cover a large area.

k
MR-FIZZLE-89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MR-FIZZLE-89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2014 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by Thomas Hosker Thomas Hosker wrote:

Looking for people opinions and any general info i can get on the MT130 top.

Would that throat arrangement give a nice wide dispersion. What the realistic frequency range for the 12" section?

Most importantly how does it sound?

Cheers

I'm also very interested in this. For a while i've been debating between these or the tried and tested MT121.
Mattias Andersson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mattias Andersson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2015 at 8:20pm
I would also like to know more about those mt-130 before I'll build some.
 Post Reply Post Reply