Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

orgonite :-)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich-ind.st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: orgonite :-)
    Posted: 12 October 2005 at 9:33am

right, just a little quasi-scientific experiment if anyones up for it.

this kinda enters the realm of metacoustics (or conspiracy nonsense you decide), either way what i ask is that people make some orgonite (google it) basically combine a quartz crystal with metal shavings (aluminium, copper e.t.c available from scrap metal places free/cheap) then pour some fibreglass resin over the mix in some kind of mold. (muffin tin sized).

your currently thinking that this isnt really relevant on a speaker forum, and this is what im trying to test.

ok so now you've (probably not) made some orgonite . Now spend a reasonable ammount of time listening to your home stereo (if you dont already do so) so you remind yourself how it sounds.

Now place the orgonite on top of your speakers (+ sub if applicable).

comments please

i know this sounds random but try it, i posted it here as its a reasonably techie forum with people who are both likely to listen to music a lot and have 'good ears' and also immediately denounce anything with a less that grounded theory behind it regarding acoustics.

having just tried a a/b comparison again i hope i dont have to conclude that its me tripping

i will also post this on some orgonite boards and would expect a unanimous, 'oh its great' response i reackon people on here will be a little more objective on the subject.

...they gave you what?
Timber_MG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber_MG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2005 at 11:18am
Huge difference. You'd be stupid not to notice the difference. Perhaps you should try the Cable forum on the audioasylum.
rich-ind.st View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich-ind.st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2005 at 12:34pm

lol

it could be a case of it being snake oil, i do reccomend you try it however, its cheap not that time consuming and potentially makes stuff sound cooler in a wierd way. if you think it doesnt after trying it you could always lob the orgonite at cellphone towers which im sure you have plenty of wherever you are (if youv'e checked it out on the internet you'll know what i mean) or alternatively put it next to a plant, it'll love it.

If your really not convinced with the idea of trying it out for yourself can you think of any reason that a non magnetic lump of resin, aluminium and a bit of quartz might make my speakers sound different ?

any bored/inquisitive minds out there up for trying this ?

...they gave you what?
Noyzmunky View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noyzmunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2005 at 3:52pm

ill be down the scrappy tomoza. does it work on P.A. thou i wonder? and would i be looking at toaster sized lumps about the place?

if it works could you maybe stick (evostik?) it in yr cabs, never to be seen but working all the time?

ORGANITE SOUNDSYSTEM

sorta L.O.T.Rings orky rig lol

my name is Inigo Montoya...you killed my father, prepare to die!.
Noyzmunky View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noyzmunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2005 at 4:34pm

its funny that 300 years after we purge the gene pool of "witches" and people with a knowledge of power we are desperetly trying to relearn the old ways.

all praise the witch finder general.

my name is Inigo Montoya...you killed my father, prepare to die!.
LunchieTey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LunchieTey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2005 at 8:21pm

Always makes me larf. Try replacing it with something else heavy. Might be holding the cabs firmly to the floor? But I doubt it does anything else. Maybe if you angle all of your picture frames in an assymetrical fashion and put sound deadener in your toilet bowl,then get your neighbour to turn his porchlight on,it will improve imaging ha ha!

If you want to look something up,try 'psycho-acoustics'-it means believing you hear something because your mind thinks it does...

My favourite is the half milk bottles under the speaker cables because apparently the Earths magnetic field stops at the floor of your house and this extra 4 inches will make it sound better -never mind the fact that the field continues well past the atmosphere-All I can say is no wonder people join cults where they believe hayley's comet was full of aliens and the only way on the ship was to drink 'special coolade'

Speaker addict
tb_mike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2005 at 11:05pm

just see the 'GSIC' chip which magically makes your CDs better. By some quantum physics mechanism that isnt taken to be scientific. But its made a huge controversy,which means more potential sales

People can use the placebo affect on themselves,duno how well it works if you know,get some one to do it on you

Ive come to the conclusion that some people dont like reality,and attack the least offendors of distortion because then it will never stop,the evil cycle of imagined improvements. Make it popular so its not cool to have directivity matched system. In other words audiophilia is of the devil.

People on decware.com are happy with a valve amp and a fullranger !

Edited by tb_mike
Tony Wilkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2005 at 3:04am
I even think all this sh*t aso applies to cables. I have never found any difference in cable whether 50p or £100 per metre other than in their physical properties *.
I also do not believe in Ghosts.

Tony

* Obviously ignoring the need to shift current.

Edited by wilkee
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LunchieTey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2005 at 3:12am
Hey what's wrong with fullrangers? I have Visaton B200's in their 'solo 100' cabs with +-3db response from below 40hz(about 30 in my room) up to well over 15k on axis(-8db at 20k). Homestly sounds MUCH BETTER than anything else I've ever owned,voices in particular are simply amazing
Speaker addict
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2005 at 4:03am

I have to agree with the hi-fi cables thing.anyone who spends £100s on a bit of wire to connect his hi-fi speakers to his amp has more money than sense.....i borrowed an expensive set and tried it,they sounded no different at all to 50p worth of bell wire.

(obviously doesnt apply to sound system cabinets, when u of course u need the current carrying ability of nice thick cables,i just think its daft when used in low power domestic hi-fi)

Be seeing you.
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2005 at 8:20am

Question - if you were to use a massively oversize chunk of cable on a very small output, is it possible for some of the signal to get 'lost' in all that copper?

Imagine an extreme of 1v getting pumped into one end of a solid cylinder of copper that was 10metres in diameter and 10metres long.  then do the same with a 10metre long piece of 1mm diameter copper.

Does the same signal still get received at the other end?

My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LunchieTey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2005 at 9:05am
DEEP BREATH...My understanding(from my highschool physics classes ) was that electricity took the path of least resistance so THEORETICALLY it would pass through the centre of the copper. If there is no path for the current to travel,it won't go that way(towards the ends/sides)
Resistance starts to build in thin cable when all of the valence electrons(think orbits(shells) around a sun/atom,on each shell,two on the innermost ring then 8 then 18/32 as you go out etc) are travelling in one direction and reach a limit where there are no more free outer valence electrons(busy)
Valence electrons are loose/spare electrons on the outer shell-conducting elements have a valence electron ie carbon has 4 spare valence electrons in the outer shell so conducts well for a non metal(valence electrons don't guarantee conductivity but is a good rule of thumb) and the best theoretical conductor(yes better than copper) is Hydrogen(1/1 ratio-every neutron has an electron each-copper has 29 neutrons/1 outer valence electron so in the same space,there are MANY more electrons that can be used for current) if you froze hydrogen to absolute 0 degrees Kelvin where it would become a metal and  become what is known as a 'SUPERCONDUCTOR' with theoretical ZERO LOSS
When current flows,one atom 'loses' an electron and passes it to the next one and so on. They all go somewhere(into/through speakers and then back the other way!(they all move along like a big dance where they tell you to change partners with interlocked arms-docey do style ha ha)
As an example,think of a carpark with one exit at each end. Drive one car thru and it will go from one side to the other. Open another exit(ground/earth) and cars will start to go that way if it's easy(side of this giant copper cylinder). Now block that exit and stick 1000 cars through. They'll go  all over the place but ultimately be blocked at the exits and will only be able to go through at a slow pace(resistance).
So what I'm trying to say is,the copper will allow massive current before saturation but the electrical signal will take a direct path through the copper cylinder between the two contacts regardless of where they are and the current capacity will ultimately be limited by the connections themselves. It won't 'echo' or bounce around inside if that's what you mean. PHEW!

Edited by LunchieTey
Speaker addict
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>