Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

p audio - to recone or replace

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semtexsystems Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: p audio - to recone or replace
    Posted: 13 August 2007 at 8:39pm
hi!
  ive been searching for a tutorial of some sort regarding reconing my 2x paudio p180 2242 i use them in ES18-BPH but i cant find much info on it.
ive confirmed that pap have a the kits but i dont want to spend £170 on them only to find i am unable fit them.
has any one reconed any of thiese or similar? if so any tips?

thanks Ben
www.semtexsystems.co.uk
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2007 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by semtexsystems semtexsystems wrote:

hi!
  ive been searching for a tutorial of some sort regarding reconing my 2x paudio p180 2242 i use them in ES18-BPH but i cant find much info on it.
ive confirmed that pap have a the kits but i dont want to spend £170 on them only to find i am unable fit them.

thanks Ben

I'm presuming that is £85 for each reconeShocked

Otherwise it's time for different drivers.

There is a B&C tutorial around  for reconing.

I'm sure someone was selling 2x original jbl 2242's for £200, on here somewhere.

"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
semtexsystems View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semtexsystems Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2007 at 2:02am
yes £85 for each!
had a look at the b&c tutorial. not too sure if i want to gamble the moneyConfused
cant find the jbl's! think they must have sold!
are they the same driver? will jbl recone kit fit & be any cheaper but be of equal quality?

thanks
www.semtexsystems.co.uk
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2007 at 9:56am
The first thing you need to find out is whether the kit is complete. Is the voice coil already fitted to the cone and  does it have shims included. If so, then it isn't rocket science. The most important thing is to clean every bit of the old cone off the chasis THOROUGHLY. I always put tape over the voice coil gap first, so I don't get  any more crud in there. Then when the rest is cleaned off, take the tape off and do the voice coil....... and it's REALLY important that you get this clean. Provided you follow the instructions carefully there is nothing to fear.
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2007 at 11:25am

yes £85 for each!
had a look at the b&c tutorial. not too sure if i want to gamble the moneyConfused
are they the same driver? will jbl recone kit fit & be any cheaper but be of equal quality?

thanks

What are T/S specs required for the cab?

I "think"  the new Celestions FTR's are supposed to be superior replacements of 2242's or similiar driver but better performance.

And available from some places for £110 each *NEW*.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semtexsystems Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2007 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by levyte357 levyte357 wrote:

yes £85 for each!

thanks

What are T/S specs required for the cab?

I "think"  the new Celestions FTR's are supposed to be superior replacements of 2242's or similiar driver but better performance.

And available from some places for £110 each *NEW*.

i tried to get my head round t/s specs and winisd a couple of years agoConfused then i took a chance and built 2 ES18-BPH, there not the recomended driver for this cab (paudio sd18 is recomended) but they do seem to work well!
would the void v1200 work in this box? if not what are the important paramiters to stick by

thanks ben
www.semtexsystems.co.uk
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2007 at 9:06pm

i tried to get my head round t/s specs and winisd a couple of years agoConfused then i took a chance and built 2 ES18-BPH, there not the recomended driver for this cab (paudio sd18 is recomended) but they do seem to work well!
would the void v1200 work in this box? if not what are the important paramiters to stick by

thanks ben

I suggested Celestions because if they are suitable, they are not much more than your recone scheme...

Best bet is find which drivers people have used in this cab with success, and buy best you can afford.
login4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote login4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2007 at 10:34am
I agree with Levyte here, it is fairly easy to recone speakers but if you dont want it on your mind that perhaps you didn't do it right, then get the Celestions FTR's there the recomended driver and they would sound good....
CELTIC SUBSONIC SOUND SYSTEMS
j_0_e View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j_0_e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2007 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by levyte357 levyte357 wrote:

hi!

thanks Ben

I'm sure someone was selling 2x original jbl 2242's for £200, on here somewhere.

no, it was 200 each lev...
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2007 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by j_0_e j_0_e wrote:

no, it was 200 each lev...

Yeah that was very recently.. But when I was selling my 2241's, Another dude was selling 2242's, saying they were filthy in his Gsub.

j_0_e View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j_0_e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2007 at 4:21pm
oooohhhh, my bad...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semtexsystems Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2007 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by markie markie wrote:

The first thing you need to find out is whether the kit is complete. Is the voice coil already fitted to the cone and  does it have shims included. If so, then it isn't rocket science. The most important thing is to clean every bit of the old cone off the chasis THOROUGHLY. I always put tape over the voice coil gap first, so I don't get  any more crud in there. Then when the rest is cleaned off, take the tape off and do the voice coil....... and it's REALLY important that you get this clean. Provided you follow the instructions carefully there is nothing to fear.

The voice coil is fitted to the cone and shims are included so i have decided to go ahead with the recone!
Ive had a look at the b&c tutorial and  i think all should be well.
What do you use to clean all the old cone/glue off the chassis? will a stanley blade do? or will i need some thinners or something?

Thanks Ben
www.semtexsystems.co.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>