Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Paint Finishes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egg & Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Paint Finishes
    Posted: 20 July 2008 at 10:19pm
Hi Folks,

Can anyone give me any tips on doing splatter coats?

Do you need to use a polymer? sealant?

Does this need to be heated prior to final coat? (would hairdryer work?)

How are people applying paint? (Spraying, rolling, flicking)?

What equipment???

I have done some testing using rollers mounted in drills (messy but with practice could work!).

Any ideas? I will post some pics of my paint and drill technique when ive finished been hosed downLOL
"wheres me washboard?"
CLsystems View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLsystems Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2008 at 10:41pm
just use a roller, foam works fine, and you get the spatter look. well more of an orange peel effect.
to get a spatter effect you need to spray it.
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2008 at 3:55am
you will need a pressure pot for splatter paint, if you want it ppro looking that is

the other altenative is using a Artex roller, its an orange coloured sponge roller that you can buy from Homebase, I haven't seen it sold anywhere else

roll that in your paint tray then roll a few times on the angled part of the tray to take off excess paint then apply to you cab

start off with the little mini rollers first to give you your flat coat's first, then apply the textured 1 coat last  

Edited by mykey - 21 July 2008 at 4:00am
rich_gale View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich_gale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2008 at 7:22am
give your cabs a stain of the same colour as your chosen final colour, then when you do get a chip, it wont show as much.  I find a thick pile woolen roller is really good for the job.  doesnt give splatter effect, but more of a stippled effect.  when you use it you should experiment with different quantities on your roller until you get the right texture.  get a quote from a professional spray shop.  if you supply the paint, they might do it for you for a cheaper price than you would expect. 

Edited by rich_gale - 21 July 2008 at 7:23am
Egg & Chips View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egg & Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2008 at 12:04am
Thanks fellas thats given me some good ideas and comparisons.

Its pretty much down to finding a method that works for you and hopefully achieving a finish that you imagined then..

Mykey, cheers for the Homebase tip. You sound as though youve tried this? do you use this technique often?

Thanks T
"wheres me washboard?"
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2008 at 5:08pm
i agree with mykey, foam roller is a good finish as long as you don't put too much paint on the last coat. first non textured coats i just wack on with a paintbrush as it is better for getting paint into any gaps or corners. btw b&q sell the rollers too
Singh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Singh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2008 at 5:16pm
I used a mini foam roller for the first few coats.  I then used a "fluffy" mini roller for a few textured coats, loading the roller with a medium amount of paint.  Too little and you dont get the texture, and too much and the roller doesnt roll very well - it slides every now and then, and you end up with flat/smooth patches.

I will try to get some pics up if I get a chance - was the first time I have painted cabs and was pretty impressed to be honest.
it's a work in progress thing... bass the final frontier.
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2008 at 8:14am
Originally posted by Egg & Chips Egg & Chips wrote:

Thanks fellas that's given me some good ideas and comparisons.

Its pretty much down to finding a method that works for you and hopefully achieving a finish that you imagined then..

Mykey, cheers for the Homebased tip. You sound as though youve tried this? do you use this technique often?

Thanks T
yes, when my pressure pot broke
worked a treatWink

the Home based roller is made of foam bubbles, lots of the bubbles are hollow, these hallow's take up more paint and leave more texture

remember the TIP about using the tray to take off excess paint though

I always had a spare piece of wood that I would roll onto to check consistency
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2008 at 8:16am
another way I used to paint was use a matt/flat for the first coats
 then use a gloss for your textured last coat

this looks great and makes the texture stand out more
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2008 at 4:09pm
I tryed rollering the aldcrofts on with a textured roller from a paint tray, worked and made a nice finnish but wasted tons of paint on the thick textured roller, i found it better to paint the last coat on quite thick with a brush then roller over it.  Pressure pot and spray is the way to go though, we made a diy prrssure pot from an old fire extinguisher and a regulator, then theres a solonoid (spelling) valve on the paint output with a switch to switch the paint flow on and off.  
James Secker          facebook.com/soundgearuk
James@soundgear.co.uk               www.soundgear.co.uk
Egg & Chips View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egg & Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2008 at 12:12am
Thanks for the tips fellas..

I have found the small micropore rollers at B&Q for a quid with a tray! If you trim the roundend end to be flat with a few they can be good for tight spots and edges.

Ive posted some pics of my HD build on the HD15 forum. trying new techniques for finishes.
"wheres me washboard?"
minaximal View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minaximal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2008 at 11:36am
Originally posted by Timebomb Timebomb wrote:

I tryed rollering the aldcrofts on with a textured roller from a paint tray, worked and made a nice finnish but wasted tons of paint on the thick textured roller.....

if you use rollers then use the small ones,and i found two final textured coats looks best, but yes it does use alot of paint but you dont wast as much as with the big ones, i couldn't find anywhere else that had 4" ers, and thes guys were very nice and helpfull.

http://www.trade1st.co.uk/productdetail/Paint-Roller-4Inch/207.aspx

Edited by minaximal - 26 July 2008 at 11:37am
Subs + Barges = :)

www.metaacoustics.com

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>