Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Passive high pass filter for tweeters

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dnbpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Passive high pass filter for tweeters
    Posted: 04 February 2016 at 1:37pm
If I wanted to make a passive high pass filter for a tweeter box @ 10khz is it as simple as adding a capacitor of a certain value to the circuit or would I have to make a complete crossover? If so can anyone give me a basic explanation of where to start? 
stevie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2016 at 1:48pm
It's more complicated than that but, yes, you could make a start by adding a capacitor in series with the tweeter. A film capacitor of around 2.2uF should work with an 8 ohm tweeter. Get 3 values 1, 2.2 and 3.3uF and try them out. The Loudpeaker Design Cookbook is very good as a primer on this kind of thing.

10kHz isn't a critical area - so it could work at a pinch. Also try swapping the phase of the tweeter in circuit to see what sounds best.
dnbpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dnbpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2016 at 2:50pm
Cheers I'll order a few different value capacitors and have a mess about, I'll make sure to check out the book as well.

Am I right in thinking that if I wanted to increase the slope of the filter I would need to add a resistor as well?
stevie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2016 at 4:41pm
You'll need to add an inductor.

odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2016 at 4:57pm
Not necessarily. A first order high pass can be made using a single series capacitor. Start simple.
stevie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2016 at 6:07pm
You'll need to add an inductor (rather than a resistor) if you want to increase the slope of the filter.

Edited by stevie - 04 February 2016 at 6:08pm
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2016 at 7:31am
I would not use a crossover with less than a 12dB slope.

1.5µF + 0.4mH = 10Khz Q=.5 (Linkwitz/Riley)
djk
dnbpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dnbpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2016 at 1:33pm
Right I think I've got a better understanding, so to get a 10khz 12db slope I would connect a 1.5µF capacitor and a 0.4mH inductor in series before the tweeter?
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2016 at 4:24pm
The cap goes in series with the tweeter but the inductor goes in parallel. This will give you an idea:-

http://www.diyaudioandvideo.com/Calculator/SpeakerCrossover/

Edited by markie - 05 February 2016 at 4:26pm
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2016 at 5:27pm
There's lots of crossover calculators out there, I'd do a 18/db slope one, takes a few components but for a electronic circuit it's very simple, components are big though, use at least 100V components, probably more, depending on power, so they don't blow up.
www.facebook.com/babysoundsystem
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2016 at 9:10am
Crossovers are not made with calculators but with measurements. 
Calculators assume a flat line response which never is.
What is below the tweeter? Is sensitivity matched to the rest of the components?
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2016 at 9:18am
You still have to calculate the xover rather than connecting random components!Dead

You're right, sensivity has to match +impedance has to match the xover, also a hard part is to get a smooth transition, drivers might couple /decouple at xover as phase also gets twisted.

I really don't know too much about this, but I saw a couple of interesting posts about this.
www.facebook.com/babysoundsystem
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>