Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Peapod - A pocket sized mini speaker

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2015 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by darkmatter darkmatter wrote:

Nice :) When I first say the renderings, I assumed the buttons were neodymium magnets, so multiple speakers could be joined to make a mini array.

Are you doing anything fancy in terms of processing e.g. dynamic eq that adds bass at low gain settings but goes back to normal at higher volumes? Or Waves Maxxbass style messing to increase the perception of the missing fundamental?

Full respect for the non-commercial approach!
Thanks - I'm hoping the feet and corresponding recesses will be enough for them to plug together like Lego but if that's not strong enough there are two other options: magnets like you say or a thread that runs through one side so they can be tied together.

Looking at the MaxxBass processor chip, but whether it's practical depends on what it adds to costs and battery life - That said I have see a very budget speaker (£25) that claims to use missing fundamental processing and the IC itself is cheap - about £0.50p in bulk.

Something I noticed from tests so far though is that the quality and linearity of the signal/reproduction plays a large role in the perception of the missing fundamental. The difference after a bit of wadding was added and gentle EQ to one response peak + a high pass was applied was to my ears equivalent to doubling or trebling of the lower bass response (well - this is an exaggeration of course, it's hard to say exactly but it feels a lot fuller and with more weight behind it), even with no processing being used at all. I suppose the more accurate the reproduction, the less likely the brain is able to accept that it's anything less than a full signal so the prompting from harmonic exciters becomes less necessary.

Edited by Hemisphere - 21 May 2015 at 2:52pm
darkmatter View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2015 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by Hemisphere Hemisphere wrote:

Something I noticed from tests so far though is that the quality and linearity of the signal/reproduction plays a large role in the perception of the missing fundamental. The difference after a bit of wadding was added and gentle EQ to one response peak + a high pass was applied was to my ears equivalent to doubling or trebling of the lower bass response, even with no processing being used at all. I suppose the more accurate the reproduction, the less likely the brain is able to accept that it's anything less than a full signal so the prompting from harmonic exciters becomes less necessary.

Interesting!

Though part of me wonders whether adding the high pass meant the driver could focus on producing frequencies it was able to produce, rather than power being ploughed in to LF that the driver/enclosure can't deal with (i.e. flapping around inaudibly and compromising the ability to produce the higher tones due to IMD?). Might be wrong though!

Good luck with the project, interested to see how it pans out Smile
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2015 at 3:05pm

Interesting!

Though part of me wonders whether adding the high pass meant the driver could focus on producing frequencies it was able to produce, rather than power being ploughed in to LF that the driver/enclosure can't deal with (i.e. flapping around inaudibly and compromising the ability to produce the higher tones due to IMD?). Might be wrong though!

Good luck with the project, interested to see how it pans out Smile
Take anything I say about my ears with a pinch of salt, quite a bit of confirmation bias going on I'm sure. IMD doesn't seem to be a big problem though.
darkmatter View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2015 at 3:53pm
Just to clarify, I'm not saying IMD will be a problem, I'm saying you might have solved an IMD problem by high-passing the input, resulting in a higher level of audible LF content.

I'm the same, I would never trust my own earsLOL
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2015 at 7:16pm

Just to clarify, I'm not saying IMD will be a problem, I'm saying you might have solved an IMD problem by high-passing the input, resulting in a higher level of audible LF content.

I'm the same, I would never trust my own earsLOL
Possibly but I also think the degree of linearity has a lot to do with it - The playback volume wasn't at all high and the cone barely moving during all this.

Depending on the listener we all have more or less the ability to tell the difference between a live and a reproduced signal, hence all the discussion among hifi enthusiasts about sound stage, depth, and being able to pinpoint individual instruments and their relative locations to one another. Even if the signal being reproduced is a digital one like an electronic bass line or kick drum, I think those effects holds true (as at some stage it will have been carefully produced and engineered to sound pleasing to the ear - itself an organic device), and the more 'real' or 'live' the sound appears to be the less comfortable the brain would be with significant parts of the signal being absent.

I tried recording the playback on my phone mic which is perfectly capable of picking up lower bass frequencies but not at all linear, and nearly all the psychoacoustic effect was lost on the recording. The effect was so pronounced it was like switching a sub off actually.

Edited by Hemisphere - 21 May 2015 at 7:37pm
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2015 at 8:28am
Finally got some measurement equipment set up - out in the garden at crack o' dawn!

Measures pretty flat - +/-3dB for the most part and that's with no EQ or any other filtering applied. Graph starts at 100Hz ends at 20KHz and the scale is 10dB per bar.

Sounds significantly better with the broad peak around 1.7 to 4.7KHz lowered a few dB but the rise in the high end doesn't feel harsh when slightly off-axis.

Edited by Hemisphere - 22 May 2015 at 9:12am
lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2015 at 8:35am
Looks pretty nice, which driver were you using again?
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2015 at 8:54am
Originally posted by lutkeveld lutkeveld wrote:

Looks pretty nice, which driver were you using again?
I'd rather not say straight off the bat - It's not for a desire to withhold information, but I feel like good driver selection is kind of crucial to getting something like this off the ground and I'm just not familiar enough with design etiquette (if there is such a thing? I guess we all have our own ideas about this) to know what the chances are of a design being copied mid development - probably very low I would have thought but still.

As soon as I've got a handle on a proper launch strategy and confirmed all the practicalities of manufacturing / certifications and whatever else may be necessary to do a crowdfund, I'll write a list of all parts including the driver plus basic plans to DIY an equivalent at home.

Edited by Hemisphere - 22 May 2015 at 8:58am
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2015 at 9:28am
So that's -3dB at roughly 270-280hz?
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2015 at 9:52am
Originally posted by Saturnus Saturnus wrote:

So that's -3dB at roughly 270-280hz?
Around about that yes. -10dB around 160Hz. Sounds awful on paper doesn't it? Hearing is believing though. I've got about 5 spare drivers here, so for the sake of not appearing delusional I wouldn't mind sending some on to a few board members for independent testing.

I know we don't always see eye to eye on a lot of things Saturnus, partly as I write a lot of nonsense, and partly down to my obstinacy and perhaps just a little from you, but I generally respect your expertise and experience, and you clearly don't hold back when you think anything is any less than as good as you think it could be, and as I'm more or less convinced that this is 'the' optimal driver for it's intended purpose by some margin, if you'd be interested to trial it, possibly with a corresponding hardware based MaxxBass chip (which I've yet to test myself) I'd be happy to send one to you and arrange courier for it's return when you're done.
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2015 at 10:39am
The boominator certainly wins no frequency response beauty contests. That's not what it's about. And neither is this speaker. It's about tuning it to sounds pleasing absolute frequency response be damned.

Personally I would try to see if it was possible to stretch the -3dB point to 240hz'ish otherwise the psychoacoustic bass enhancement would have a hard time trying to compensate for missing bass under 100hz. You can do this by the series capacitor trick, with a linkwitz transform filter, or simply by adding EQ.

Can I humbly decline? I appreciate being asked but there's way too much on my plate already to have the focus it would require. A lot of people don't appreciate that designing a good speaker is far far more than plotting up a 3D design sketch and run a few simulation programs. That's really only the very early start of the design process. After that comes prototyping to see if there are design changes that needs to be made or you basically have to start from scratch again. Then comes up to several new prototyping steps where you can begin to get an estimate on how the end product will perform and do small redesigns and test out different variations to see which perform the best. It's a fairly long process.

I can naturally have a listen to it and see if I like it or not but I'd not be in a position to give informed feedback on what could be changed.

Nowadays people naturally use DSPs to get a decent end result on even very poor designs but I'm always of the opinion that DSPs should assist in making a good design perform better not make a bad design perform adequately.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2015 at 11:40am
Originally posted by Saturnus Saturnus wrote:

The boominator certainly wins no frequency response beauty contests. That's not what it's about. And neither is this speaker. It's about tuning it to sounds pleasing absolute frequency response be damned.

Personally I would try to see if it was possible to stretch the -3dB point to 240hz'ish otherwise the psychoacoustic bass enhancement would have a hard time trying to compensate for missing bass under 100hz. You can do this by the series capacitor trick, with a linkwitz transform filter, or simply by adding EQ.

Can I humbly decline? I appreciate being asked but there's way too much on my plate already to have the focus it would require. A lot of people don't appreciate that designing a good speaker is far far more than plotting up a 3D design sketch and run a few simulation programs. That's really only the very early start of the design process. After that comes prototyping to see if there are design changes that needs to be made or you basically have to start from scratch again. Then comes up to several new prototyping steps where you can begin to get an estimate on how the end product will perform and do small redesigns and test out different variations to see which perform the best. It's a fairly long process.

I can naturally have a listen to it and see if I like it or not but I'd not be in a position to give informed feedback on what could be changed.

Nowadays people naturally use DSPs to get a decent end result on even very poor designs but I'm always of the opinion that DSPs should assist in making a good design perform better not make a bad design perform adequately.
No worries - I understand nothing's ever as simple as it seems. I'm keen to get things moving in one way or other but I can see that there are no shortcuts to quality.

I wouldn't really expect serious feedback or suggestions from a test of that kind, but it would be interesting all the same.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>