Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Peavey IPR2 7500 Review (Very Long)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Peavey IPR2 7500 Review (Very Long)
    Posted: 12 October 2014 at 11:49pm

This review is based primarily on how the Peavey IPR2 7500 power amplifier compares to the Crown Macro-tech 5000vz power amplifier from a tonal perspective. As many of us in the sound reinforcement industry are faced with a wide variety of jobs that offers various types of music, which offers different types of behaviour patterns, this review will reflect such a scenario.

The type of music listed below reflects the type of music we are commissioned to reinforce under the given conditions. 

Electronic Dance Music

Elevator Music

High Impact Music

High Fundamental Music

Hip Hop Music

Modern Jazz Music

Reggae Music

Rock Music

The frequency response graphs listed below reflects how the Double Eighteen Reflex Enclosure reacted under a frequency bandwidth from 3 Hz – 150 Hz on the Crown MA 5000vz & Peavey IPR2 7500 once it was fed an audio signal.

Please note I do not use High-Pass-Filtering on my subs other than the internal High-Pass-Filter embedded in the amplifier’s circuitry. The differential in the graphs amongst the Crown MA 5000vz & Peavey IPR2 7500 is how the subwoofer/amplifier correlation comes into play.

The decibel increment scale is configured to 5 dB. Such scaling will offer a noticeable difference amongst the two amplifiers. However, subtle tonal characteristics heard by the human ear will not be shown under a 5 dB scaling.

Loudspeaker Components Used

Sub: One Double Eighteen Reflex Enclosure

Midrange: Three Eminence Beta 10 CBMRA closed-back loudspeakers

Mid-High: One Large Hyperbolic Compression Horn

Amplifiers

Crown Macro-tech 5000vz  (Sub)

Crown Power base 2 (Mid-High)

Peavey IPR2 7500 (Sub)

Peavey PV 2600 (Midrange)

The recording microphone shall be 2 metres away from the Double Eighteen Reflex Enclosure. The lowest measured impedance dip from One Double Eighteen Reflex Enclosure shall be 4.4 ohms within the 5 Hz – 200 Hz range.

The Crown Macro-tech 5000vz in addition to the Peavey IPR2 7500 were voltage calibrated on the right channel of their respective loudspeaker outputs using a voltage multi-meter. Calibrations are shown in the videos below. The test tone is a 55 Hz sine wave.

Electronic Dance Music: 50/50

There is no dramatic difference amongst the amplifiers from a tonal standpoint.

However, if the BPM increases, the Peavey would excel over the Crown under the given conditions from a transient standpoint.

Elevator Music: Peavey IPR2 7500

The Crown sounds a little too aggressive at times whereas the Peavey sounds more balanced.

High Fundamental Music: Crown MA 5000vz

The Crown low frequency emphasis overshadows the Peavey when fundamental bass is the objective.

High Impact Music: Peavey IPR2 7500

The Peavey’s attack is prominent all the way down to the single digits of the frequency bandwidth. The Crown does not sound as sharp compared to the Peavey.

Hip Hop Music: Crown MA 5000vz

The upper bass emphasis in the Crown allows the tone to sound richer compared to the Peavey.

Modern Jazz Music: Crown MA 5000vz

The upper bass emphasis in the Crown allows the tone to sound richer compared to the Peavey.

Reggae Music: Crown MA 5000vz

The aggressiveness in the upper bass region is the type of sound that Peavey has difficulty to deliver.

Rock Music: Peavey IPR2 7500

The tone of the Peavey overshadows the Crown. Attack, Dynamics, Timing it is all there with the Peavey. 

Peavey IPR2 7500 Low Frequency Power Bandwidth

The graph below is an estimate on what to expect from the Peavey IPR2 7500 Amplifier in terms of low frequency response. The decibel scale is configured to 1dB increments. The –3dB point in the Low Frequency is around 3.2 Hz.

Peavey IPR2 7500 High Frequency Power Bandwidth

There is a gradual rise in the high frequencies starting around 2 kHz. The highest peaks are within the 16,000 kHz – 18,000 kHz regions by +3dB before stabilising to 35,000 kHz. Idle noise starts around 34,000 kHz. The idle noise peaks are within the 36,000 kHz – 39,000 kHz regions before stabilising to 40,000 kHz. The –3dB point in the High Frequency is around 44,000 kHz.

Peavey IPR2 7500 A.C. Cord

The A.C. Cord is approximately 0.76 metres (2.5 feet), which is ridiculously short for an A.C. line cord. However, to achieve 7500 watts from a 12 AWG cable with less than 1% loss, the cable length must be short.

Peavey IPR2 7500 Cooling Mechanism

The cooling mechanism in the Peavey IPR2 7500 uses the right side if the amplifier for the intake and, exhausts the air on the left side of the amplifier. The front and back vents are merely there to allow fresh air to pass through convection ally.

The cooling mechanism is my biggest gripe of the Peavey IPR2 7500. As the fans are configured on the sides of the amplifier as a means of forced cooling, the chances of the amplifier getting warm while idling is likely since there is a 1 inch spacing between the side of an amplifier and the wall of a rack.

This may cause a problem of heating up the rack if multiple Peavey IPR2 7500 (around 4 or more) amplifiers are mounted in the same rack one on top of the other.  

Peavey IPR2 7500 Output Voltage No Load, 55 Hz Sine wave

The figures below were measured at the Speakon’s output.

121.5 volts DDT Off

125.8 volts DDT On

174.0 volts Overdriven (Feeding 10.26 volts at the input)

Note: The mixer was pushed to its maximum output voltage limit. More output voltage may coexist in the Peavey IPR2 7500 amplifier however the mixer could only deliver 10.26 volts at its output.

RMS, Peak, Peak To Peak No Load

Where 121.5 volts would be the RMS, one-way Peak would be 172.251 volts or 343.654 peak to peak.

Where 125.8 volts would be the RMS, one-way Peak would be 177.908 volts or 355.816 peak to peak.

I do not have the tools (as of yet) to bench test such an amplifier that offers the amount of output voltage the Peavey IPR2 7500 possess on a resistive load.

Peavey IPR2 7500 Compared To Peavey CS 800X

The Peavey IPR2 7500 sounds like the old Peavey CS series from the 1990’s downwards within the 100 Hz to 20 Hz regions. I could not hear a significant difference comparing the Peavey IPR2 7500 to Peavey CS 800X and CS 900 amplifier(s) other than a little more distortion in favour of the old CS 800X/900 due to getting closer to their limits sooner than the IPR2 7500.

I am definitely going to purchase 5 more IPR2 7500 amplifiers and use them in conjunction with my 6 Macro-tech 5000vz amplifiers. The price to performance ratio is excellent. In addition to being an original design and not a copy is plus as far as I am concerned. My second IPR2 7500 should be at my doorstep by end of the week.

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2014 at 12:40am
To hear how the bass sounds on the Electronic Dance Music & Reggae Music amongst the two amplifiers you can download the link below.

Bear in mind the files are coded in FLAC.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BysEZgz2cg_yUW1fYndrOWd0NWM/view?usp=sharing

Best Regards,
Elliot Thompson
all bass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote all bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2014 at 6:49am
Good review! Thumbs Up

Too bad there is a huge price difference between the States ($800,-) and here...(€1150,-)
U.Viktor View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote U.Viktor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2014 at 9:48am
Peavey IPR 7500 has just little average power supply, I would say "too weak" for most of the jobs.
There is not too much capacitors inside so DC rails collapse pretty quickly under higher BPMs.
It shares similar self-oscillating cheapish claasD core like Behringer INUKE and couple of other cheap Crowns.
So no *real output feedback* therefore the frequency and pulse response is load dependent = not professional
What is ugly that the cooling air directly sprays dust particles to the surface mounted components = low reliability, failure is decoded..

darkmatter View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2014 at 10:41am
Great review, thanks!

The price/performance ratio for US buyers is very impressive... if only I could get a couple in hand luggage and avoid import taxesLOL
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2014 at 11:31am

Originally posted by U.Viktor U.Viktor wrote:

Peavey IPR 7500 has just little average power supply, I would say "too weak" for most of the jobs.
There is not too much capacitors inside so DC rails collapse pretty quickly under higher BPMs.
It shares similar self-oscillating cheapish claasD core like Behringer INUKE and couple of other cheap Crowns.
So no *real output feedback* therefore the frequency and pulse response is load dependent = not professional
What is ugly that the cooling air directly sprays dust particles to the surface mounted components = low reliability, failure is decoded..

Your comments is based “hear say” and no real world experience using or owning the amplifier.

What experience have you had using the Peavey IPR2 7500 amplifier under high BPM conditions at the given load (Please specify at what impedance the loudspeaker was dipping at the given frequency where the rails collapsed) so I can test it myself?

In the event someone wanted an amplifier with a more robust power supply they can invest in the Crest Pro Lite 7.5, which cost a little more in which, Peavey’s designer stated offers a stronger power supply than the Peavey IPR2 7500.

How is it possible to achieve more dust particles in an amplifier that offers an intake and exhaust from side to side as opposed to front to back? Any one that class themselves as a Professional will pop open their amplifier(s) and clean out the dust once or twice a year. For those that are afraid to do such things will send it to a tech and have them do it.

I have been opening my amplifiers and cleaning out the dust particles a minimum of once a year for the past 20 years. Which is why none of my amplifiers have found the need to be serviced.

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2014 at 11:51am

Originally posted by darkmatter darkmatter wrote:

Great review, thanks!

The price/performance ratio for US buyers is very impressive... if only I could get a couple in hand luggage and avoid import taxesLOL

This is precisely why I am buying them. I can purchase 5 brand new in the box Peavey IPR2 7500 amplifiers which will be half the cost of 1 Lab Gruppen FP 14000 brand new in the box.

Since everyone loves to tote burst ratings these days lets compare the two and see which amplifier will give me the most power for the dollar.

1 Lab Gruppen FP 14000 burst output rating: 14,000 watts
5 Peavey IPR2 7500 burst output rating: 47,500 watts

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2014 at 12:02pm
re. the power supply size, the designer has been very transparent about their thinking in terms of balancing the unit cost against functionality for the majority of use cases. Commendable imo.
U.Viktor View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote U.Viktor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2014 at 12:33pm

I have seen and repaired several similar devices, based on same or very similar circuitry.  So I know and understand the cost benefits of this type of circuitry also its technical limitations.
What I said "it is NOT professional" is well founded, comes from the physical construction and from the type of circuitry as well as its lack of several important features.
The size of the power transformer and (lack) of cooling mass, no real heathsinks reflects that maximum 2000W is possible as charging power for short periods.
Letting dirt directly on the surface of the boards, for example any liquid, dew or smoke machine do this! At the tiny traces of high voltage gate drivers (like IRS20965 or 20957..) is a FATAL failure in reliability aspects!
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2014 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by U.Viktor U.Viktor wrote:

I have seen and repaired several similar devices, based on same or very similar circuitry.  So I know and understand the cost benefits of this type of circuitry also its technical limitations.
What I said "it is NOT professional" is well founded, comes from the physical construction and from the type of circuitry as well as its lack of several important features.
The size of the power transformer and (lack) of cooling mass, no real heathsinks reflects that maximum 2000W is possible as charging power for short periods.
Letting dirt directly on the surface of the boards, for example any liquid, dew or smoke machine do this! At the tiny traces of high voltage gate drivers (like IRS20965 or 20957..) is a FATAL failure in reliability aspects!

You cannot compare a similar product and assume that the same thing will apply to the Peavey IPR2 7500 unless you had a Peavey IPR2 7500 at your disposal. That is like two men wearing a size 11.5 shoe and assuming there is no differential in the fitting. Although both men wear the same size shoe, the width and arch of the shoe will determine how well the shoe fits on each individual.

Mounting a Precision Devices PD 1850 in three different bins will yield three different results based on how much the TS Parameters changes once it resides in each bin. For its surroundings determine its overall outcome.

Best Regards,
Elliot Thompson
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2014 at 1:26pm
U.Viktor doesn't even need to see the other size 11.5 shoes, he knows PKN do the best size 11.5 shoes, periodLOL

U.Viktor - hopefully you know I am just poking fun here. I appreciate your input as you're clearly very knowledgeable, but I gather from seeing a number of your posts that you have a clear allegiance with a certain brand. I think you should maybe add a disclaimer, where applicable, when you are commenting on other brands. Best to be upfront and say that you have no real first hand evidence of the Peavey IPR2 amps failing to deliver as promised in the majority of real world uses for the majority of users - unless you can propose a superior option at this same price?
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2014 at 1:57pm
In the USA it is very difficult to beat the bang for the buck those Peaveys gives.
Here not so much. So i dont think we will see them in use very often.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>