Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'Plate Amplifier' Design

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
audiomik View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiomik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2013 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by Muckerbarnes1 Muckerbarnes1 wrote:

Class D JC... tut tut, such language to us anal ogue blokes.

I'd still FET it Mik, but then I'm a FET anorak.

Class D????

The original well proven design for the Power Amplifier channels uses Bipolars and it seems like a lot more work to change to FET's..... anyway, FET's run hotter

When first designed in the 1970's, it used 2N3773's
These became very variable as to their Ft leading to only RCA branded devices having to be specified.
After building about 30 channels, changed to the BUV61 (or thereabouts) device without further problems of excessive heating when trying to get full power output at 20kHz.
Farnell - BUV61 catalog page
However the RCA 410, also used by Phase Linear, worked very well for HF versions with minimum 8 Ohm loads

Mik

Edit: add Power Transistor (family) type and Farnell link

Edited by audiomik - 23 July 2013 at 6:48pm
Warning! May contain Nuts
plus springs, washers, screws, etc, etc.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2013 at 7:07pm
A (small) sample from the scrap yard:

If you happy to cover the postage...  Smile

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
audiomik View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiomik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2013 at 7:23pm
Whilst you, I and no doubt some others on here, may be capable of re-cycling - there are many others who will benefit from a complete design using readily available parts/metalwork.....

Anyway, if I look into my old metalwork collection then there will most likely be very similar. Not much use unfortunately if the salvaged extrusions are manufacturer's specials and not readily available from multiple sources!

Mik
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2013 at 10:48pm
Still reckon aluminium rectangular tubing on the back of the plate and forced cooling + added internal fins is worth a poke! Easy materials to find.
burningbush View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burningbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2013 at 11:00pm
Aluminium box section, and you could split it lengthsways?  Bolt to a plate and mount devices from behind.
music is the message
CCAV View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCAV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2013 at 12:03am
Really liking this thread I've built so many boxes this seems like a natural progression Thanks Mik
In my early years my favorite phrase was "If it's too loud your too old" Now I'm just too old
Muckerbarnes1 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muckerbarnes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2013 at 1:41am
Mounting from behind could be a problem. Up front and insulated mounting will always pay dividends.

I'm all for creativity.
Billy Dawg.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2013 at 11:05am
Originally posted by burningbush burningbush wrote:

Aluminium box section, and you could split it lengthsways?  Bolt to a plate and mount devices from behind.

I did try something like that once, but the section seemed to warp once cut. Ouch

Mik: maybe some pictures of what you´re doing to get a better idea. Smile

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
audiomik View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiomik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2013 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

Originally posted by burningbush burningbush wrote:

I did try something like that once, but the section seemed to warp once cut. Ouch

Mik: maybe some pictures of what you´re doing to get a better idea. Smile

On cut box or tube section: there are stresses within the metal structures of these which can cause deformation should the section be cut lengthways.

Will do a Pic or two when I've fabricated the first prototype and run some tests, also when I'm satisfied that it works then perhaps even a CAD drawing.

There will be a bit of delay in moving this project forward, as have a couple of Ch 70 Radio-Mic Receivers which arrived this morning to check for potential Co-Channel Interference prior to the 4G rollout

Mik

audiomik View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiomik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2013 at 10:25am
Late night session has established that there may well be a problem when using Ch-70 Radio Mics when strong signals in Ch-69 are present.

So, back to the Plate Amplifier.

Below are two pics showing how the heatsink and Power Device mounting might be assembled:

underside of 'top-plate with spacer':

then lower plate with device mount:

(no fixings yet drilled)

To create some sort of easy method of fixing this into a Speaker Cab, thinking that two strips spaced from the Lower Plate and extending to provide access to fixings would be good as it can also provide additional airflow to the 'internals'.

Mik

PS: helps to enable Java after a Browser update

Edited by audiomik - 25 July 2013 at 11:00am
burningbush View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burningbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2013 at 10:38am
I want you to close your eyes and visualise the image to send, we will do the same and see what comes through.  Now concentrate.
Tongue
music is the message
Nitz V1505 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nitz V1505 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2013 at 7:30am
Telepathic thoughts going out to everyone connected......
LET THE BASS ROLL LIKE THUNDER
& THE TOPS LIKE LIGHTNING.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>