Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

playnetwork.com (or .eu)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richie T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: playnetwork.com (or .eu)
    Posted: 31 July 2014 at 12:34pm
has anyone ever done subcontracting work for them? any horror stories etc or are they ok with paying up etc.

i know they have a 'rate card' which they say they pay contractors but they have accepted my terms/rates (i think its cheeky them phoning a company and then dictating what rates they pay)

madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2014 at 11:03pm
Not an answer to your question, but...

If a company has a rate card dictating what it pays self-employed workers, (as distinct from a set of guidelines to assist negotiation of terms) then the HMRC might consider that to invalidate their self-employed status. Which could lead to all sorts of unpleasant complications.

Kobe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2014 at 1:11am
yes, I did a few jobs for Playnetwork , was some small install and repair work in a pub.
the rate card thing was strange, but I went with it. The process of getting parts was annoying (again the Playnet system).  I struggled to get payments once work was complete , then on tiny job which involved putting a 13amp plug on a part the pub manager asked me why this was costing several hundred quid to which I replied you need to take this up with Playnet who set the prices and I'm only sub contractor getting £50ish !! lots of silly phone calls went on and I decided enough of this did my job and left. again took months to get paid.

a few months ago they approached me again to 'quote' for a full pub install at another venue but I would need to quote using their rate card, I ignored the rate card and sent them my own quote, never heard from them again thank god !

Edited by Kobe - 02 August 2014 at 10:36pm
Richie T View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richie T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2014 at 2:44am
I did the job as asked, 45 mins, using my rates and invoice - but I learnt a lesson here... I will never do subcontracting. I did leave my business card with the place saying if they wanted a system to go direct with me. Then they havent got to go through big moneygrabbing companies.

Advice was much appreciated and the word is being spread to other pubs locally. Result :)
Djdarch View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Djdarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2014 at 2:47am
Moneygrabing or not that was highly unprofessional richie , id never want you to do any work for me , ever.
dylan-penguinmedia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2014 at 8:10am
Originally posted by Djdarch Djdarch wrote:

Moneygrabing or not that was highly unprofessional richie , id never want you to do any work for me , ever.

Ditto. And anyone on here reading that will think the same.
I've subbed for years working for some of the biggest install co's in the country, as tempting as it is, even if the customer asks you, you direct them to the people paying you. If you don't like their terms, don't work for them.
spongebob View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spongebob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2014 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by Richie T Richie T wrote:

I did leave my business card with the place saying if they wanted a system to go direct with me.

Richie T, ladys and gentleman!
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2014 at 4:24pm
It's ironic you have 'Pro Audio' in your company name.
Djdarch View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Djdarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2014 at 5:13pm
Ive forwarded a link to this thread to Darren from playnetwork , just so he knows what he's dealing with !

mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2014 at 5:25pm
....all well and done.... nobody likes a grass!!

If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2014 at 7:48pm
The general forum is now searchable via google to 'outsiders' anyway so I'm sure it would have been found regardless.
Richie T View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richie T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2014 at 8:05pm
I will stick to my guns on this:

Why should a venue have to pay through the nose to a big company, for an install when they can go local.

What I did may have seemed 'unprofessional' in ones opinion (which is all that it is) - but it was definately ethical. People are paying over the odds for such a service and big companies are cashing in.

Now: Had this been a different approach, then it would have been dealt with differently.

As for the 'pro audio' side. I will stick with that, rather than putting my name to other peoples mess.

One thing i never do is grass on someone though, that is both unprofessional and unethical. So matt - i certainly would not have you working for me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>