Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Polar Bear" Scoop build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2010 at 7:07pm
But by your definitions this is a large chamber scoop and pfly is talking about a BMS neo driver, not a B&C.
pfly View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2010 at 7:10pm
I'm not about Nd in this but I honestly believe that BMS 18N860 is one of the very very very top sub drivers today, regardless of magnet material. Like all drivers, it won't suit every loading technique, but general quality and performance should be top notch.
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2010 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

But by your definitions this is a large chamber scoop and pfly is talking about a BMS neo driver, not a B&C.

Typically, drivers suited to scoops fall into 2x categories, those perfect for small chambers and the rest.

So you are more likely to hear about small or medium chamber scoop drivers.

Mentioned B&C, as that is also a Neo that on paper/Sims seemed to excel, however actual performance in scoop was very dissappointing.

Point being, time has shown, simming Neo drivers in scoops, is "often" pointless, proof being in actual listening, as opposed to simming ferrite drivers, you will often get mostly accurate approximation, of real world results.
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
Saul View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2010 at 10:18pm
to be honest i'd ignore Hornresponse altogether. 

it is unable to really tell how it is going to sound. 

the best example being: 

sim a Turbomax 1800 in a medium/small scoop and the sims say it would be awesome, but we all know these drivers need more than a big chamber, so it seems, otherwise they sound like a bag of spanners. 

i can only think of  2 common drivers that truly work in tiny chambers with 10+mm xmax, thats the PD1850 and the V18-1000. 

btw those scoops look cool - did you leave the lip around the rear of the box to provide a handle all the way round for when it's on castors? 
Nitz V1505 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nitz V1505 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2010 at 12:53pm

I like the look of this scoop , just look how deep the fcuker is!!!!!!!! Cool

LET THE BASS ROLL LIKE THUNDER
& THE TOPS LIKE LIGHTNING.....
Tony Wilkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2010 at 1:10pm
I personally would not use the 860's in anything but a large BR when you need its ability to go very low, Cinema Subs etc.

However in large chamber Scoops the 850v2 works very well. No idea how it compares to the Tmax etc etc never compared them, only with the Void 1200,s.

Maybe do a comparison one day.

Tony

pfly View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2011 at 2:08pm
bump.

I just wanted to update latest measurements here to accompany other information about these

unfiltered in venue response

30hz 48dB HPF & 80hz 48dB LPF

pfly View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2011 at 9:58pm
another measurement bump, this time outside, with 2nd and 3rd harmonics. For many reasons this is much more accurate than earlier

Lee In Montreal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee In Montreal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2011 at 3:32pm
The response measurements posted above are impressive as very few scoops will go below 40Hz. 30Hz is quite an achievement. Was the scoop placed in a corner when the measurement was made?

Lee
pfly View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2011 at 5:02pm
All measurements done with a stack of four. Indoor measurement was done near back wall. Low-ish ceiling.

I'm more impressed with the distortion figures. I think these things sound phenomenal. They are definitely sub box with little "kick" available, but in 30-80hz range they sound fast, precise, warm and smooth. Not as "clinical" as Lab, but still there is plenty of detail that for example Meyer 700HP wouldn't reveal. Also I can give them everything that Infinite 5 bridged per pair can give and they don't show any sign of stress what so ever.

Edited by pfly - 02 August 2011 at 5:05pm
Venny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Venny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2012 at 5:10am
Broken image links, any chance of a re-upload?
Predominant Culture Sound System - Roots and Culture

01jordand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 01jordand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2013 at 6:41pm
would like to see those images as well if thats possible...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>