Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Portable system - advice before I buy these parts!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Portable system - advice before I buy these parts!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sapro2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2015 at 12:12pm
I will answer what I can.....

1) Batteries - I wont answer this as everyone seems to have differing ideas. If you buy a cheaper battery it will probably not survive as many deep cycles (full to empty) before dying.
2) The boost power supply will draw as much juice as the amplifier asks of it. If the amp draws less than 15A then there will never be a problem. You should however always have a circuit breaker on your 12V kit in case of shorts as batteries will produce a huge amount of juice in one go if shorted which will produce welding or an explosion! Have a look here:
http://www.bimblesolar.com/extras/dc-circuit-brakers
3&4) Use the thickest cable you can afford/deal with. The thicker the cable the least power loss.

Splat Soundsystem
Baby Sham pram Soundsystem
Sapro - SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/sapro
DJ Sapro. West country free party DJ and Producer.
pandashams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pandashams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2015 at 12:29pm
Amazing thanks for the quick reply really very much appreciated you are a legend!

1) I have spent a fair while reading back through old posts and it looks like the ones I posted should be ok, I'll go for one of the ones I posted as the budget can stretch to that.  I assume a standard multimeter is fine for monitoring how far it has run down? 

1b) Is there any specific rules around charging these things - I have a cheapo car battery charger, is this standard practice or do people tend to go for something a bit more expensive to keep the battery in good condition?

2) Amazing thanks - sounds great, I need to therefore work out whether the amp can pull this much - this is the one I have:

http://store.sure-electronics.com/audio/audio-amplifier-board/aa-ab32191

Is there an easy way to tell if this would ever hit 15A?

3&4) Great will pick some up from Maplin.

I want to mount a couple of standard PC 120mm fans in the case - again can I just run these direct off the 12V battery, or are they going to explode without some shielding?

Additional question:
I am looking at the wiring of the amp - I only have one speaker (mentioned in a previous post) - this has four inputs (1/4 jack or 'professional speaker input', two of each) which are in parallel.  Is it a really bad idea to get a stereo RCA cable which has 2 x 1/4 jacks on the other end and plug them both into the speaker?  Would this cause damage or magically double the power output?!

Thanks so much for the help, it really is appreciated!!  I'll buy you a beer some time!
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2015 at 2:43pm
RCA to jack? You're not getting confused between the inputs and outputs of the amp board here are you? The RCA sockets are the input, the screw terminals are the output. But to answer your question, NO don't do that. The amp board will NOT like having its outputs paralleled together, and will either go into protect mode or just blow itself up. And it wouldn't double your power. Use the other output to drive a bass bin at some point in the future.

I have the more expensive Sure converter boards, because I didn't like the look of the cheaper ones, plus some email exchange with the manufacturers revealed little knowledge on their part about the real sustained power capabilities of the unit. Whereas I have seen the Sure models survive some destructive overloading, and be repairable afterwards. Plus, it shows in the documentation the response of the converter to a sudden step change in output current - a 10A step results in only a 100mV sag on the output which is recovered within 100ms. That's *extremely* good regulation. The cheaper boards may have poorer control when faced with a quickly varying load like an audio amp.
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12