Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Powersoft X4 real power

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 24>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote U.Viktor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Powersoft X4 real power
    Posted: 30 June 2016 at 11:43pm
onboard DSP looks very fancy BUT

Claimed: 5200W on 2R

We measured: 486W..

With 3x 400V strong inlet

Is it a bad joke ?? It seems the small fuses have installed on purpose not only the real heatsink less class-D parts

Edited by U.Viktor - 30 June 2016 at 11:45pm
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2016 at 7:19am
you have something wrong. Off course we all know you wont get 5200w continuous but in real world use these amps offer exceptional headroom.

i suspect if these units said PKN on the front you would have a different opinion...
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
Pasi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2016 at 8:20am
No, it's not wrong. It is along the lines of Production Partner's test. After 10 mins it drops to 270W continuous per channel. But for 1ms or 10ms peak, it gives the promised power.

"The maximum continuous performance of the X4 for a 1 kHz sinusoidal signal with simultaneous load of all four channels lays – depending on the load impedance – at 580 to 689 W. At 2 Ω the power limit and the thermo limiter respectively intervene, limiting the performance to 700 W. When measures with a 12 dB crest factor noise the values are significantly higher. The measured output voltage at 4 Ω then is 322 Vss (peak-peak).

If one calculates the  effective value from this – comparable to a sinusoidal signal – and from this the performance at 4 Ω then one receives remarkable 3.2 kW. The limit here is the highest possible output voltage so that the values for 8 and 16 Ω are nearly halved. During the six-minute measurement the performance at 8 and 16 Ω was available until the end of the test period. At 4 and 2 Ω the thermo limiter in the amplifier intervened again.

Subsequently an endurance test took place. For this, the amplifier was operated with four 4 Ω load resistances and was loaded with an EIA426B noise signal (20 Hz to 20 kHz) with 12 dB crest
factor. The RMS value of the dispensed performance amounted to 4 × 400 W and reduced itself during the 15-minute test to 4 × 270 W. At the end of the 15 minutes, the amplifier showed an operating temperature of 63°C. "

- Production Partner 10/2015

Edited by Pasi - 01 July 2016 at 8:26am
Andy Kos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Kos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2016 at 9:37am
This sort of thing is becoming increasingly common, extrapolating power ratings mathematically rather than 'real' power ratings - it's happening in active speakers, and  it's happening in amplifiers of many brands.

Reality is, it's becoming very hard to know what power you are actually running at.
just a guy with a warehouse and a few speakers... www.bluearan.co.uk
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2016 at 10:13am
Yes, it´s all getting a bit stupid.

From the product page:

X Series

The amplifier platform that redefines power amplification

Never better said.

LOL
Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Hvedstrup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hvedstrup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2016 at 11:17am
I bought my 2x K6 from a guy changing all his K6,K10 and K20 to X4's and 8's that where powering his Danley gear. He said that the X-series gave him the same headroom but sounded even batter with less truckspace. I agree that tests can show numbers not adding up, but if it works great in the real world who is complaining? 

Some one please tell me that a K10 or 20 can't do bass? 
Pasi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2016 at 11:45am
K or X doesn't do the deep end, purely because the power is very short term. However, they do punch nicely. Although they also do run out of juice on heavy duty jobs, Toasty here is planning on using bridgred K20s to get enough for his needs. But he is a bass junkie anyway :p

BASSHORSE View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BASSHORSE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2016 at 12:38pm
well im not up date with the high powered powersofts,..but i can tell you that aba shanti's bass is heavier than ever with the k20s,.i dont know if he's gone back to the destrotor amps but when i last heard him the pressure was unreal & the bass was low,..Nuke
Grubbah View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grubbah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2016 at 1:18pm
The X series amps sound wonderful and the DSP is fantastic. Only thing I don't understand is why they put the NL4 outputs up side down LOL

I never found a bass application for the X series anyways.. Not enough power. Marry up a X4 and a K20 and its an amazing little 2U package. 
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2016 at 1:03am
cant really fault the k10s either re efficiency and tonality.. on stiff 32A feeds they deliver happily imho..

Grubbah View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grubbah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2016 at 1:14am
Originally posted by bass*en*mass bass*en*mass wrote:

cant really fault the k10s either re efficiency and tonality.. on stiff 32A feeds they deliver happily imho..

13a sockets at that! I smash a pair of WS218X off 13a sockets all the time and my K10 always delivers. I don't notice the current limit until I go beyond a 4ohm load.
THECANDLEMAN View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THECANDLEMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2016 at 3:10pm
Have many people tested an X4 running 2x mono tops and a 2x18 on each of the other 2 channels ?
Motion Systems - Void Airmotion, Airten & Stasys 218 With Powersoft DSP
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 24>