Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Powersoft X4 real power

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 24>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote U.Viktor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2017 at 10:16pm
X4 has nowhere near power capability than any K series.

Powersoft sells cheap low grade amp modules in nice clothes with fancy DSP.
Feels bit disturbing because X4 is not low priced device, and usually we need good amplifier additional processing is just an extended option.

Edited by U.Viktor - 22 June 2017 at 10:18pm
Shelfstacker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shelfstacker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2017 at 1:06am
I don't really care about the on paper stats of these amps, and I'm not buying what your trying to say viktor.

I've been doing this 20 years, and chronologically have owned and run Crown vz, Crest CA18, Chevin A6000, Crown Itech and Powersoft K8's. We have just migrated from 23 K8's to 4 X8's, and I can definitely hear an uplift in sound quality. Our Lake lm26's still sound nice, but the whole package of the X series is, in my opinion, hard to beat.

Amazing power supply
Good power density
Great price
Awesome DSP and routing

Coupled with (to my ears) great sound quality, I found the X series too good to not buy into. We run subs at 2 ohm on a regular basis, and they sound deep, loud, and very musical.

The above is my actual real world experience of doing this for a living.
If you are at the circus and being attacked by clowns - go for the juggler
corell View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2017 at 5:24pm
There is a very detailed Production Partner Test on the X4, so no need to "assume" things...
Pasi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2017 at 12:10am
Which I mentioned in this thread about year ago, on 3rd post in this thread. Everything after that is more or less unnecessary... ;)
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2017 at 10:12am

As it is quite common to use multiple drivers in a single cabinet is these days, having a lot of power is not necessary as the coupling affect of the drivers will increase the overall SPL. In the 1980’s multiple amplifiers delivering 500 – 700 watts per channel were large enough to cover arena events to the point of getting noise complaints.

Although the amplifier cuts back its power within a certain duration its average power is still strong enough to get the job done based on the type of loudspeaker systems used today. I mentioned in other threads amplifier power cannot warrant an astronomical price anymore. However, sophisticated processing and networking can.

Only the little guy is trying to cover a large area with two speakers so, the cost of owning a Powersoft X 4 is well outside their reach. However, the person that is using line arrays will benefit having a 4 channel amplifier for they are working with more drivers in a single enclosure(s).

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
Father-Francis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Father-Francis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2017 at 10:30am
So who's selling these would really like to try one of them , cause even with only powersoft in the rack still it feels heavy, it could replace the K6's we have in the rack ,
Music is the strongest form of magic.(+45 31879997)blakmanpro@gmail.com, foa@sweetboxaudio.dk
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2017 at 11:00pm
We do - have a big pile in rental stock too if you wanted to demo one.

Oh and I used a single X4 to drive a pair of Danley SM80 and a BC412 for 300 people on Saturday, with a 32a mains feed. No problems, didn’t even run into the limiters...
RobinMatrix View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobinMatrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2017 at 9:26am
Originally posted by Pasi Pasi wrote:

Which I mentioned in this thread about year ago, on 3rd post in this thread. Everything after that is more or less unnecessary... ;)

Some people take a while to get the message :) 
Matrix Pro Audio ::http://matrixproaudio.com/"
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2017 at 10:37am
Originally posted by RobinMatrix RobinMatrix wrote:

Originally posted by Pasi Pasi wrote:

Some people take a while to get the message :) 

For anybody who wants to see the 'message' for themselves:
http://www.powersoft-audio.com/en/docman/1012-x-seriestestrevieweng/file

Approved rating, how about that
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2017 at 1:24pm
Love the designs on these amps. They've got it all! USB port to charge your phone, and massive bolts holding the front panel on, presumably because the sheer power inside would cause it to fly off if lesser bolts were used.
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2017 at 12:28am
Originally posted by Hemisphere Hemisphere wrote:

Love the designs on these amps. They've got it all! USB port to charge your phone, and massive bolts holding the front panel on, presumably because the sheer power inside would cause it to fly off if lesser bolts were used.

Modules inside are held in by strong neo magnets so you can just pull a pair of channels out and swap if needs be on tour.
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2017 at 5:50am
Oh, so the massive bolts are massive because they need to be able to stand being removed and replaced in the field? Fair enough. If they didn't have that huge head I guess they'd get lost pretty fast as such things do.

Edited by Hemisphere - 26 August 2017 at 5:52am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 24>