Forum Description: Discussion / Questions about the HD 15 horn
URL: https://forum.speakerplans.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=11577
Printed Date: 29 March 2024 at 1:07pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: ES 18-BPH impressions???
Posted By: ddujovic
Subject: ES 18-BPH impressions???
Date Posted: 01 September 2007 at 6:52pm
Hi somebody tried ES 18 BPH Horn how they sound?????

Replies:
Posted By: asaa00
Date Posted: 09 May 2008 at 6:57pm
id LOVE to know how the 2xES18-BPH/USB/TSW-718 compare to the HD215

anyone have firsthand experience?

Posted By: smithers
Date Posted: 08 June 2008 at 7:59pm
we have 2, these bins are heaving....they eat HD15's for breakfast.
PD 186 loaded with 2k of juice and they sing!
nice easy build too, suprised there's not more of 'em around.

Posted By: bell
Date Posted: 07 May 2010 at 8:03pm
is this true?! i would love to hear a few more opinions as this will definately help me decide how im about to spend my hard earnt penny's. 

Posted By: sKs01
Date Posted: 07 May 2010 at 9:11pm
A stack of 4 186 loaded was silly, if we had been playing anything like techno or psy it would've blown your face off (though it was only used as a kick section and we reealy had no need for the ridiculous head room) 2 is great as a kick section above our subs. the only minor flaw is the size, they're significantly larger than the HD15 and single USB.

-------------
You're a big man, but you're in bad shape. With me it's a full time job. Now behave yourself.

Posted By: staiper
Date Posted: 07 May 2010 at 9:25pm
Yes :) .. size matters !

They are designed to be capable for use as bass solution even if used without real subs (of course than must be used in stacks of more cabinets)
USB-s are primary designed as kick section for use with LAB-horns .. so a bit smaller but also with a bit less low extension than ES-18BPH.

If you plan to use ES18-s without additional subs under I'll recommend to use them coupled in stacks of at least 4 per side.

Best wishes

-------------
Just do it! ..or do not.. ;)

Posted By: Spesh
Date Posted: 07 May 2010 at 9:59pm
I have HD15's and USBs. In my opinion the USB's are much better, which would lead me to believe that the ES18's would be too.

-------------
Symmetry Soundsystem

Posted By: njw
Date Posted: 07 May 2010 at 10:41pm
I have 4xHD215's, they are usually used for house or hard dance events and have always been more than adequate,a club I used to frequent used USBs and i couldnt really hear much of a difference other than perhaps the USBs had a harder edge, if that makes sense?

Posted By: Spesh
Date Posted: 07 May 2010 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by njw njw wrote:

I have 4xHD215's, they are usually used for house or hard dance events and have always been more than adequate,a club I used to frequent used USBs and i couldnt really hear much of a difference other than perhaps the USBs had a harder edge, if that makes sense?

I've found USB's to be considerably louder. And generally beefier sounding.

-------------
Symmetry Soundsystem

Posted By: njw
Date Posted: 07 May 2010 at 11:36pm

I'm only going by what I've heard, perhaps the clubs LMS settings could have been better for the the cabs they were using.

Posted By: bell
Date Posted: 08 May 2010 at 8:27am
im leaning towards building ES18's at the moment but (as i'll prodomenently be playing psytrance) am finding it hard to just say go for it as the HD15 fan club is pretty sizeable! i know one of my favourite rigs uses cabs with 2x15" drivers(jodies opus). but do they run that with subs also? or is it just large enough stacks? and would the HD215 cut it along side of these i ask my self.

Posted By: Tekasis
Date Posted: 08 May 2010 at 9:12am
Originally posted by asaa00 asaa00 wrote:

id LOVE to know how the 2xES18-BPH/USB/TSW-718 compare to the HD215
Originally posted by smithers smithers wrote:

we have 2, these bins are heaving....they eat HD15's for breakfast.
PD 186 loaded with 2k of juice and they sing!
nice easy build too, suprised there's not more of 'em around.
Originally posted by sKs01 sKs01 wrote:

A stack of 4 186 loaded was silly, if we had been playing anything like techno or psy it would've blown your face off (though it was only used as a kick section and we reealy had no need for the ridiculous head room) 2 is great as a kick section above our subs. the only minor flaw is the size, they're significantly larger than the HD15 and single USB.
Originally posted by staiper staiper wrote:

They are designed to be capable for use as bass solution even if used without real subs (of course than must be used in stacks of more cabinets)
USB-s are primary designed as kick section for use with LAB-horns .. so a bit smaller but also with a bit less low extension than ES-18BPH.

Interesting! The older threads are always the best.

What are these cabs below? Heard them tumpin' very hard with strong force a while back!

img135/4156/loveunlimitedboxes06smlyn0.jpg

-------------
**Heavy Weight-Line**
A home without books is like a body with no soul.

Posted By: Saul
Date Posted: 08 May 2010 at 12:14pm
ive built quite a few ES18 and they rock!!  as far as BPH's go. 

Posted By: Meat
Date Posted: 08 May 2010 at 2:29pm
Get me a big cardboard box and some boxing gloves and I'll give you my impression.

Seriously though we borrowed some from Descendent and tried them with some Turbo neos and they were mighty impressive.

-------------
Don't test the champignon sound

Posted By: sKs01
Date Posted: 08 May 2010 at 4:13pm
I was pretty shocked with just one rigged up to Jame's 12v PA set up in his living room. Straight out of a CDJ into the amp inputs on their lowest setting and my trousers were wobbling Shocked
I'm looking forward to hearing that set up when its done.

-------------
You're a big man, but you're in bad shape. With me it's a full time job. Now behave yourself.

Posted By: Meat
Date Posted: 10 May 2010 at 9:54am
Was pretty interesting running 2 ES18s vs 2 BS500s (JBL loaded)over 18" reflex each side. Those 2 bins really do have a different tonality. When the gains were set the same the BS were louder but on different tunes people seemed to prefer different sides. Both sounded good mind you.

-------------
Don't test the champignon sound

Posted By: opus jody
Date Posted: 20 May 2010 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by bell bell wrote:

one of my favourite rigs uses cabs with 2x15" drivers(jodies opus). but do they run that with subs also? or is it just large enough stacks?

allo.
I do run with single 24's on big rigs too, but i have to say that there's not that much difference when you un-plug the 24's. the 15's can go flat to 40, from 180 Hz (!) and the 24's sound just the same as the 15's, but with a few extra octaves on the bottom.
most likely, the reason you like it is because it's all reflex, it's got an  analog mixer, analog crossover, and class A or A/B amps with big power supplies. they might not measure big power output's, but they give a very 'big' sound.

you might want to bear all that in mind when designing your system.   Wink

-------------
Improvised Hardware Music http://vimeo.com/user9389813/videos

Posted By: Louder than loud
Date Posted: 20 May 2010 at 9:20pm
Love reflex kit and have heard the Opus cs systems many times very sweet sounding, what happens if a dj wants a djm800 say ? can you tell the difference ? what mixer do you use if you dont mind me asking ?

Date Posted: 20 May 2010 at 10:37pm
personally i won't do djm gigs. there is a couple of exceptions to that rule, like one DJ who is responsible for about 1/2 my jobs, and Glastonbury, i won't have any choice, but in general i'd rather not do the gig than let someone else loose with a djm. strange, cos the CDJ's are exceptionally good!
I guess i'm lucky with a day job, so i don't have to rely on gigs for a living. it might be different then.
from my position, which is generally from the stage, the biggest noticable difference in the crowd with good quality recordings is that everyone smiles more. dodgey track - grimm faces. it's the same as the difference between digi/analog mixers.
i recently had to use a djm for the djs in Leeds, but put the last live act on through the vestax i had sat on the rack, and the party transformed itself. some might argue that it was the live act being better, but i think the mixer plays a bigger part than 50% in the equation.

My own mixer is a vestax pmc 500. It sounds great, 1 flick of a switch (per channel) & it's totally bombproof for DJ's to ragg it stupid. even marke G!
but, and it's a big BUT, build quality is shocking. I have to re-build mine about twice a year. Cry biggest problem is the phono sockets on the back coming out. i've now soldered them all onto their tracks, but they still go wrong.
I'd love to try out the ecler Sclat 200VS, i think it is. big price tag though.

i'll stop now. way off topic!

see ya.

-------------

Posted By: cravings
Date Posted: 20 May 2010 at 11:14pm
that is a really big but..

Posted By: highlyunlikely
Date Posted: 21 May 2010 at 2:06am
+1 jody on the sclat...
i love my modded version of the es18..Smile

Posted By: pfly
Date Posted: 21 May 2010 at 7:08pm
Continuing on the offtopic stuff, but does anyone think Formula Sound PM80/PM90 are still relevant today?

I would be REALLY interested about buying Formula Sound System 2000, If only I could find one.

Why don't you try FF6000 for build & sound quality Opus Jody?

Date Posted: 22 May 2010 at 8:40am
I was going to say 'beacause it says "F1" on the front (Big smile) but i would have been joking, and many would have taken it wrong.
the real answer is:
because although the build & sound quality are great, if i remember right the tone controls don't kill the band totally, and a lot of  my mixing involves replacing basslines & hi hat paterns with other tracks' paterns, so on the ff6k you can't get rid of the remnants of the original, so sound quality on a mix gets muddled. anyway, i'm very happy with the layout & func(k)tions of the vestax, and i don't mind the regular servicing. also, because the vestax break so easily, you can pick them up really cheap. I just got one for £200! took about 2 days to do all the mods,
also, i find the hf tone control to boost the HF at quite a low high-freq, that feels like about 12k or something? if you cut the HF, you still get quite a bit of faerie dust frequencies getting through.
the vestax feels more like a crossover band level control than a wide Q boost/cut. turn the bass, mid & treble down, and there is silence. makes for very clean mixes.
anyway, i can't afford a new mixer at the moment. this last winter i've developed a synth obsession!

-------------

Posted By: neilpoints
Date Posted: 22 May 2010 at 7:02pm
I have ES18BPH loaded with PD1850s, and they're great. The bass is hard, used with LABs. Their range goes much higher than any HDs. Thanks, Staiper!

-------------
former Eurovision contestant

Date Posted: 24 May 2010 at 12:29am
Originally posted by pfly pfly wrote:

Continuing on the offtopic stuff, but does anyone think Formula Sound PM80/PM90 are still relevant today?

I would be REALLY interested about buying Formula Sound System 2000, If only I could find one.

Why don't you try FF6000 for build & sound quality Opus Jody?
i use a pm90 on my sound....in my opinion and to my ears its nicer than most other mixers ,like vestax dennon.ect...but i work my sound not as a dry hire always wet...i hate any other mixer on my rig as pm90 is modified eq cuts ect..
most dj's look at it like its a turd....but what do they knowLOL

Posted By: kallabungo
Date Posted: 24 May 2010 at 10:54am
Originally posted by neilpoints neilpoints wrote:

I have ES18BPH loaded with PD1850s, and they're great. The bass is hard, used with LABs. Their range goes much higher than any HDs. Thanks, Staiper!

We used 1850's in ES18 cabs and had to modify the angle of the mounting plate for the driver so it would accomodate the huge magnet. After testing the cabs extensively with the 1850 drivers and celestion FTR 18 4080fd's it was clear the 1850 was too much for the cab and the capabilities of it were being wasted.
Yes you could achieve a more reinforced and slightly lower frequency using the 1850 driver but the realistic gains of it were negligble. The celestion moves much quicker inside the cab and as such produces a tighter but warm sounding very agressive punch and makes the cab a lot lighter in terms of weight.

Date Posted: 24 May 2010 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by kallabungo kallabungo wrote:

We used 1850's in ES18 cabs and had to modify the angle of the mounting plate for the driver so it would accomodate the huge magnet. After testing the cabs extensively with the 1850 drivers and celestion FTR 18 4080fd's it was clear the 1850 was too much for the cab and the capabilities of it were being wasted.
Yes you could achieve a more reinforced and slightly lower frequency using the 1850 driver but the realistic gains of it were negligble. The celestion moves much quicker inside the cab and as such produces a tighter but warm sounding very agressive punch and makes the cab a lot lighter in terms of weight.
same plus a few other mods also......even pro owners do scratch there heads as i m only just another suicide rig....a bloody good one as well better than most of the party rigs ask manik fk1lLOLme hippie pot head protester....mmmm

Posted By: mashgwan
Date Posted: 26 May 2010 at 12:46pm
we use es18bphs i think they sound great we use as standalone bass, stack as a group of 4 or as a group of 8 depending on the venue, 8 do sound wicked although to bassy for some smaller venues

Posted By: mashgwan
Date Posted: 26 May 2010 at 1:12pm

hers our 8 at the custard factory last year

Date Posted: 26 May 2010 at 6:12pm

I'll have to listen to a few of these with different drivers. I agree the high end of their range is worse with 1850s, but I like the hardness of the lower end with the LABs. The 1850s fit straight in with about 5mm clearance, the magnet is wide but not very deep, but I did another modification to make the baffle more rigid and the front chamber more streamlined.

-------------

Date Posted: 27 May 2010 at 5:28pm

Interesting! Anyone compared these ES18 cabs loaded with celestion FTR 18 4080fd's against PD186's?  

Originally posted by mashgwan mashgwan wrote:

we use es18bphs i think they sound great we use as standalone bass, stack as a group of 4 or as a group of 8 depending on the venue, 8 do sound wicked although to bassy for some smaller venues

What drivers you running yours with mashgwan?

-------------
**Heavy Weight-Line**

Posted By: Father-Francis
Date Posted: 27 May 2010 at 5:46pm
Interesting! Anyone compared these ES18 cabs loaded with celestion FTR 18 4080fd's against PD186's? 

ours are loaded with 186 ,I say they are good someone asked why we painted our F1 black Wink, they sound just as good, and are still in running-in ,

-------------
Music is the strongest form of magic.(+45 31879997)blakmanpro@gmail.com, foa@sweetboxaudio.dk

Date Posted: 27 May 2010 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by Father-Francis Father-Francis wrote:

ours are loaded with 186 ,I say they are good someone asked why we painted our F1 black Wink, they sound just as good, and are still in running-in

Clap

-------------
**Heavy Weight-Line**

Posted By: tweeter box
Date Posted: 27 May 2010 at 6:16pm
ES 18-BPH: is there a 15" version of these?

-------------
PRECISION SOUND SYSTEM.

Feeding the peoples needs for Roots Music.

Strictly premium grade reggae and dub steppers from the early 70's to present day.

Date Posted: 28 May 2010 at 11:50pm
Originally posted by highlyunlikely highlyunlikely wrote:

+1 jody on the sclat...
i love my modded version of the es18..Smile

Hello Highlyunlikely. Please tell me about the mod you did to yours.

-------------

Posted By: AudioAddictz
Date Posted: 05 July 2010 at 3:56am
i had the pleasure of using opus jodys vestax mixer several times now , and i have to say its one of the best mixers ive used , that in conjunction with the awesome opus sound system made mixing an absolute pleasure.

my first gig playing at a festival was using that mixer on jodys rig and it made the experience a lot less nerve racking .. :)

thanks jody your a top bloke :)

AudioAddictz / Dj Ascent 

Peace Love & Light

-------------
Reality .. It might look the same but it dont taste the same

Posted By: awacs
Date Posted: 27 December 2010 at 5:06am
I've been a fan of the ES18-BPH being used as a sub crossed over at 80Hz. Was looking to use with an HD15 for 80-200Hz. Any comments on that combo here?

Also was wondering if anyone has put 4 ES18's together in a quad and built an extension like on a Bertha/W-Bin double 18? I know the flare is good for 5Hz or so of lowend extension and thought it might be a cool idea to try with the ES18's in a quad.

Posted By: cracker.a
Date Posted: 28 December 2010 at 3:06am
Originally posted by awacs awacs wrote:

I've been a fan of the ES18-BPH being used as a sub crossed over at 80Hz. Was looking to use with an HD15 for 80-200Hz.

In my opinion HD15  holds a decent SPL but will not sound nice and accurate over 160Hz.

Posted By: awacs
Date Posted: 30 December 2010 at 4:37pm
Is that running the HD15 as a sub and up above 160Hz, or in a bandpass as a mid-bass (HP ~ 80Hz)? The response looks good in the 100-200 range on the chart, but obviously real world means all the difference. 

Date Posted: 28 April 2011 at 9:29am
Originally posted by tweeter box tweeter box wrote:

ES 18-BPH: is there a 15" version of these?

???

Originally posted by awacs awacs wrote:

I've been a fan of the ES18-BPH being used as a sub crossed over at 80Hz. Was looking to use with an HD15 for 80-200Hz. Any comments on that combo here?

Any more comments ???

-------------
**Heavy Weight-Line**

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net