Forum Description: Discussion / Questions about the X1 sub
URL: https://forum.speakerplans.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=2452
Printed Date: 28 March 2024 at 8:45pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Letterbox X1 plan
Posted By: angus
Subject: Letterbox X1 plan
Date Posted: 24 August 2005 at 6:07am
Based on what Dom has redesigned for his X1 so he can stack double hd15 kick bins on top nicely, I have mostly finished modifying the x1 plans on this site to his dimensions.

I can post them later on today if this is a) OK with Rog as far as modifying his work goes and b) useful to some people.

Let me know guys and gals.

@Dom - I should probably PM the plan to you for verification!

Cheers,
Angus

NP: Lipps Inc - Funky Town into Selector - On My Radio. Ah, how I love my random MP3 play lists quality!

Replies:
Posted By: mans1000
Date Posted: 24 August 2005 at 6:15am
You'll have to send smoke signals to Rog,but I wouldn't mind seeing em'

Date Posted: 24 August 2005 at 9:34am
Apparently Rog is on his way back sometime soon. (At least I think I read this in a post from Rog's brother)

I have it drawn up to scale in OpenOffice - I just need to add the dimension labels when I get back home tonight and post to Dom to make sure it's ok.

Posted By: mykey
Date Posted: 24 August 2005 at 11:13am

if the x1 dont rattle your letter box.....gggwwwwwwwaaaaaakkkk

it aint any good!!

-------------
......just all them hanging there like giant bananas.

Posted By: kevinmcdonough
Date Posted: 24 August 2005 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by angus angus wrote:

I have it drawn up to scale in OpenOffice - I just need to add the dimension labels when I get back home tonight and post to Dom to make sure it's ok.

yeah i'd love to see it too, was planning to do something similar.

Apparently Rog is on his way back sometime soon. (At least I think I read this in a post from Rog's brother)

Saw that one too. Wasn't sure whether to believe it or not. Not that i think Rog's brother would be untruthfull or anything, but with this being the internet your never quite sure whether people are actually who they say they are.

kev

Posted By: Dom
Date Posted: 24 August 2005 at 7:03pm
Not sure how it needs any verification from me....  I made my box up as I went along...  As long as you keep the volumes and the port areas/lengths the same I don't really think it matters what you do to it...

-------------
"It sounded like a million fire engines chasing ten million ambulances through a war zone and it was played at a volume that made the empty chair beside me bleed."

Date Posted: 24 August 2005 at 7:33pm
@Dom - just thought I'd do it for the guy that didn't get it from what you said and for fun to see what it looks like.

@all - looks like it's tomorrow for the plan then as I haven't touched it this evening and it's late.

Date Posted: 25 August 2005 at 6:43am
here it is. Didin't do too much and it looks pretty similar. No dimensions for back plate as I don't have a driver to hand and have never built one of these cabs before, but you'll probably have to put the driver in diagonally.

Front view:

Side view:

(Wood is 18mm birch ply)

Hope it helps someone.

Cheers,
Angus

Date Posted: 25 August 2005 at 4:35pm

Theres a few additions for how I did mine - note both braces go all the way back to the rear panel.  There is also a  brace in the middle bracing the side panels.

Theres about 4mm clearance either side of a void driver when its in the box.  Don't think an SD-18 will even fit.  PD driver will just fit. The access panel is big enough for the driver to go in diagonally.. 

-------------
"It sounded like a million fire engines chasing ten million ambulances through a war zone and it was played at a volume that made the empty chair beside me bleed."

Posted By: freddmo
Date Posted: 01 September 2005 at 5:23pm
Thanks a lot people !

Top job there

Posted By: norty303
Date Posted: 01 September 2005 at 6:57pm

Wasn't Rog going to explain why this one seemed to perform better?

Be interested to know as I seem to have a bit more standing room in my lounge and i appear to be turning into a bass junkie....

(Don't pack up that router just yet Dom  )

-------------
My laser stuff: http://www.facebook.com/SubsonicSystems" rel="nofollow - Frikkin Lasers

Posted By: Tumble
Date Posted: 12 May 2006 at 4:38pm
could these be streched another 18mm without running into any problems? or  would it need to be remodeled again. if so...

how do you go about doing it?

or

can someone do it for me?

cheers

tom

-------------
Retox

Posted By: Dr Burnz
Date Posted: 17 May 2006 at 8:41am
Cheers for the mod guys, just got myself a MA3600vz and was looking to build a nice sub to go with it. The original X1 seemed to wide, but this mod would go well with my X15's on top. I think Angus had the same idea judging by the picture of 2 x15's on his profile.

So, what drivers would work best in this baby? I've used some simple reflex cabs before with PD1850. I was quite impressed on the performance with only 2, but did find them to sound a bit hard and lacking on the real lows.... well below 40Hz. Would be good to get a smooth responce with good extention to the looooow end . I think this could be the design for me.

Date Posted: 18 May 2006 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by Dr Burnz Dr Burnz wrote:

Cheers for the mod guys, just got myself a MA3600vz and was looking to build a nice sub to go with it. The original X1 seemed to wide, but this mod would go well with my X15's on top. I think Angus had the same idea judging by the picture of 2 x15's on his profile.

don't read anything into the avatar picture! it's just me stacking them up in the front room just as they were loaded for the very first time. I think side by side, 2 X15s would go well on top of one (or preferably two) X1s

cheers,
angus

p.s. whoever was asking for my X15 build pics (james?), they will be posted eventually but i have to collate them all from three different camera sources...

Posted By: yetimonster
Date Posted: 27 June 2006 at 2:05pm
hello,
just a question (my english is not so good, i'm living in europe).
does your plan modification makes a difference in the sound quality, or is it only to have a bigger sub bass (i understood you want to put 2 X15 on it...)....

thanks

Posted By: Mike Severloh
Date Posted: 25 July 2006 at 1:12pm
Hi guys !

Great work !

As with the drumfill threads, any ideas to move all tunnel exits to the upper half of the cabinet ?

To use the X1 aside a drum riser, the lower tunnel would always be covered, partly at least.

Btw, did we already discuss open air performance and directivity (medium throw) of X1-pairs compared to Punisher-pairs in the same frequency range,

with or without active x-overed kick bass support  ?

-------------
Mike Severloh.

Date Posted: 15 August 2006 at 6:40am
Hi again,

my idea was to put all tunnel exits to the upper half of the cabinet, for reason.

This would lead to the lower tunnel to end directly under the upper one, with the direction straight upwards.

Hints, anybody ?

-------------
Mike Severloh.

Posted By: norty303
Date Posted: 17 August 2006 at 1:20pm
Not sure what effect it might have.  With them right next to each other there may be some interference of airflow, as one will be sucking and one will blowing at the same time.

-------------
My laser stuff: http://www.facebook.com/SubsonicSystems" rel="nofollow - Frikkin Lasers

Date Posted: 18 August 2006 at 7:21am
Couldn't you just stand it on its back? Or am I missing something? I don't think the sound is very directional out of an X1. It does mean you wouldn't be able to stack anything on top of it though, but if its for a drummer to hear his kick then this probably isn't the right cab and a dedicated kick horn might be better. But then I know very little about band setup...

-------------
They're complaining over there, but it's their fault!

Date Posted: 08 December 2006 at 4:15am
Originally posted by norty303 norty303 wrote:

Not sure what effect it might have.  With them right next to each other there may be some interference of airflow, as one will be sucking and one will blowing at the same time.

Hi,

DB Technologies seem to be quite succefull in selling bandpass subs of that shape, like DB SUB 05, 12 and 15.

Simply put them upside down and it matches my suggestion.

Anybody tried that already ? Remember, most drum risers offer sufficient space only for standard drum sets, custom setups get bigger than that, and nobody seems to put subs into account.

Hope my 15" bandpass with tunnels near its top will be ready ´til January, I will post pics and listening results.

-------------
Mike Severloh.

Posted By: hond
Date Posted: 11 October 2009 at 12:41pm
Void V18-1000 fit??

Posted By: Rossco
Date Posted: 27 March 2010 at 1:53pm
Ta for this. Been hunting for letterbox X1 designs.
Much appreciated. Clap

Posted By: imperialjunglistic
Date Posted: 09 August 2010 at 7:58pm
Hello everybody , someone has he got DOM's X1 plan , i mean with the additionals braces and the longer one ..
I'd like to do two letterbox x1 to stack my four HD15 .

Date Posted: 09 August 2010 at 9:39pm
I haven't got a copy of the plan any more, but it's all described in the thread.  Both port braces go to the back of the box.  There's two braces on the front panel, a brace on the back of the access panel an a 10cm wide brace that ties the two large side panels together.

I've probably got a router jig for it kicking around somewhere though - if you have the jig you don't need a plan, you just cut the panels to fit into the rebates....

-------------

Date Posted: 10 August 2010 at 1:06pm

Thanks DOM , i understand for the Both port braces go to the back of the box , it must be the number 1 and 2 on my pic .

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z276/D-Djoul/A%20Fanzine/x1badd.jpg - http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z276/D-Djoul/A%20Fanzine/x1badd.jpg

The two braces on the front panel are number 3 and 4 .

But where do you place exactly " the brace on the back of the access panel an a 10cm wide brace that ties the two large side panels together " ?

I'm sorry but i'm french and my technical english is not very good .
I mean that if you can explain better it will be realy nice Wink

Posted By: Pirlo
Date Posted: 10 August 2010 at 2:22pm
Haha, Dom can't get a sleep with his design. LOL
(Had the same questions a few weeks ago)

The 10cm wide-brace mean that ja put a piece of ply between the "ground" and the "top" of the box, somewhere in the middle where you've got "big nothing". Tongue
Maybe drill a  few holes in it for air-flow.

On the back ya can mount a additional brace in the smaller of the two chambers (where the speaker-mouth blows in - the other side of the letter "1" in ya picture).

The third additional brace, directly on/around the back-panel, hmm, thats actual what I've to work out for myself.
I think about to build the whole "back" of two sheets of 18mm-bitch and cut the service-flap a few from the outer- a few cm bigger then inner-one to put the cuted part in as a lid. (reasonable!?)
That should give it more than enough stability, a little more weight freebie.

Hope this helps!

I'm exactly at the point you are, have cut all parts and one step to put it all together so if something wrong with my description please let me/us know, thanks!

Date Posted: 10 August 2010 at 4:47pm

Is it what you was thinking about Pirlo ?

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z276/D-Djoul/A%20Fanzine/X1PLAN02.jpg - http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z276/D-Djoul/A%20Fanzine/X1PLAN02.jpg

What do you think about oranges parts ?

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z276/D-Djoul/A%20Fanzine/X1PLAN01.jpg - http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z276/D-Djoul/A%20Fanzine/X1PLAN01.jpg

So the red brace is " The 10cm wide-brace mean that ja put a piece of ply between the "ground" and the "top" of the box " .
Will you put this brace in your letterbox ? And what could be the better position to this brace ?

Date Posted: 10 August 2010 at 7:04pm
If I understand ya pictures right then yes to the 10cm-ply in the middle. (x1plan01)
That would be my prefered place to, but maybe dom can give a shout about.
I build two of them and prefer to load with 1851 so I think its necessary.
Maybe one with and one without, problem will be if it's better with to bring it in the other one as tight as the first. Angry LOL

The other thing I mean is to build the whole back of 2x 18mm ply - glue/screw together (so 36mm in total) with a cut for the service a few cm bigger in the "outer" then the "inner so that ya can moint the removable-pannel on the "inner" one.
Otherwise maybe only the part from the speaker-brace down to the end and give the upper part a brace inside like x1plan01

Difficult to describe, will try a paint tomorrow.

Date Posted: 11 August 2010 at 10:30pm
Okay, here we go (sorry for the paint, got other skills Tongue)

I think we can do it on two ways.

First: Use "1" as the inner back, "2" for the outher.
Then Put a additional brace at "3"

Second: Build "1" as long as "2" and use it for the whole back but then ya got a bigger chamber "4"

Don't shure wich way to go, will start to build this weekend with the hd15 and think about this "problem"

Again, any suggestions more then welcome!

Date Posted: 12 August 2010 at 11:00am

I think i'll chose the first way , actually i did it with my HD15 and it's easy to do and work very well . On my HD15 my part 1 doesn't cover the total lenght of the inner chamber but it's the same idea .

Then i'll put a brace at 3 and in the inner front ( yellow and orange part in my first pic >> W1PLAN02 )

I think your second way will be much more complicated to do especially  if you want to keap the same volume in the chamber 4 ..

Date Posted: 12 August 2010 at 1:03pm
Got a question as well, round the brace-edges and the speaker-brace with a milling machine "U" or leave it "L"!?

Date Posted: 13 August 2010 at 8:33pm

I'm not shure , but round the brace could be a good choice ..?

But the first question is , does this lettre box version is as good as the original ? And this plan is he correct and optimal ?

Is there someone who know the answer ? or who heard the letterbox one time ?

Date Posted: 13 August 2010 at 10:07pm
Dom said the letterbox is an 1:1 to the original, going even a few hz lower 'cause the bigger/propper ground-contact when put it with it wide-side on the floor.
Ya can check the plans if you calculate the volume of the original-plan and compare it with the letterbox one.

I'll build mine this weekend so if is anything wrong with the showing plans please tell me asap, thanks! Smile

Date Posted: 17 August 2010 at 9:24am

So what's up Pirlo with your letterbox , have you any pics ?

I hope finish my four HD15 before the next month , and then i will start the letterbox , so it could be very nice to have some pics and impressions on yours .

Date Posted: 17 August 2010 at 4:57pm
Sorry, no pics yet.
I worked out everything and want to start these days but the guy in wich carpentry I want build my hds/x1s tell me today a price for ground-cut the ply that I don't accept!
Damn asshole, last week he told me that I can use his tablesaw for cheap, today 100%-additional on the ply-price for cutting.

So I'll have to search another place/tablesaw at the moment...

Date Posted: 18 August 2010 at 3:27pm
Arrmph , bad news Pirlo ...

Date Posted: 18 August 2010 at 3:37pm
I dont pay ~500€ for ply to pay another 500€ for cutting just the "normal" parts, totally unworldly the guy!
But good news just behind, seems to find a new one today, will clear this and hope I can finally start this weekend. Smile

Posted By: cravings
Date Posted: 18 August 2010 at 4:08pm
€500 for ply? how many are you building?

Posted By: jonny4288
Date Posted: 18 August 2010 at 4:17pm
you could probably build 9 for that :P (although thats based on the original plan of getting 2 boxes out of 3 sheets of ply)

-------------
mt122's usb2's

Date Posted: 18 August 2010 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by cravings cravings wrote:

€500 for ply? how many are you building?

2 x X1
8 x hd15
X x case-boards http://www.dict.cc/englisch-deutsch/case+boards.html -

Date Posted: 18 August 2010 at 4:53pm
ah so not just ply for the X1s then...

Date Posted: 18 August 2010 at 5:37pm
No no, that would be a little expensive! Tongue
For all incl. 4 cheets of 6mm-ply for the hd15-curves.

Posted By: djyves
Date Posted: 18 August 2010 at 6:16pm
only 2 X1s, I thought the ratio was 2 or 3 hds to one X1?

-------------
"If brute force doesn't work, you're just not using enough!"

Date Posted: 18 August 2010 at 6:23pm
I like kickdrums and will load the x1's with pd.1851, so I think 4:1 will be okay.
If the result can't convince than build just more. Wink

Posted By: Bm!
Date Posted: 14 April 2011 at 1:40pm
For anyone that might find it useful here is a google sketchup based on this plan:  http://www.mediafire.com/?94ldp8k2dbfbxt7 - http://www.mediafire.com/?94ldp8k2dbfbxt7

Posted By: tehnicar007
Date Posted: 15 April 2011 at 11:26am
Originally posted by Bm! Bm! wrote:

For anyone that might find it useful here is a google sketchup based on this plan:  http://www.mediafire.com/?94ldp8k2dbfbxt7 - http://www.mediafire.com/?94ldp8k2dbfbxt7

dimensions ????

Posted By: Bm!
Date Posted: 15 April 2011 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by tehnicar007 tehnicar007 wrote:

Originally posted by Bm! Bm! wrote:

dimensions ????

use the tape measure tool.

Posted By: Jack88
Date Posted: 23 May 2011 at 3:51pm
Hello,

Has anyone worked out what the length for the board marked number 1 for the door that pirlo put a drawing up for?

Cheers,
Jack

Posted By: SerenitySoundSystem
Date Posted: 29 October 2011 at 12:35pm
Hello,

I would like to make four x1s, but to fit es18s on top i would need to stretch the width and depth. about 92mm in width and 60 mm in depth , will this make any huge changes?

Thanks,
Angus

Posted By: Scuzzymodo
Date Posted: 16 October 2012 at 12:44pm
has anybody made one of these yet? get some build pics up :P 

Posted By: loonie
Date Posted: 18 November 2012 at 9:38am
I've made one, I've got some build pics kicking around somewhere.

I'll get them uploaded ASAP :)

-------------
Team DB

Posted By: phazedj
Date Posted: 16 January 2013 at 10:09am
Any luck with those pictures would love to see how they turned out?

Date Posted: 16 January 2013 at 2:31pm
there have been some build pics of these over the years... use google to search the forum..

Posted By: phazedj
Date Posted: 16 January 2013 at 3:23pm
Thanks eventually managed to find a pic as some of the image links had expired from old posts - if anyone is interested the link is  http://forum.speakerplans.com/handles-on-the-x1_topic11519. - http://forum.speakerplans.com/handles-on-the-x1_topic11519.html

Date Posted: 16 January 2013 at 3:36pm
oh yeah. shame they're dead links. i remember the phase one thread was good.

Posted By: Hitfiend
Date Posted: 20 February 2013 at 3:03am
Would be great to see one of these and how they sound too!

Posted By: George C
Date Posted: 20 February 2013 at 7:03am

try this link

Originally posted by Scuzzymodo Scuzzymodo wrote:

has anybody made one of these yet? get some build pics up :P 

-------------
happiness is a ticked off list

Posted By: George C
Date Posted: 20 February 2013 at 7:04am
oops!

try this link

http://speakerplans.com/index.php?id=mustakx1

-------------
happiness is a ticked off list

Posted By: Hitfiend
Date Posted: 20 February 2013 at 4:44pm
That's not a letterbox one is it? O.o

Posted By: bee
Date Posted: 20 February 2013 at 6:06pm
hitfield i got your pm, but due to you only making 2 posts you wont get my reply.... send me your email address and ill forward message onto you.....

Posted By: Daily Crisis
Date Posted: 27 January 2014 at 12:51pm

here it is. Didin't do too much and it looks pretty similar. No dimensions for back plate as I don't have a driver to hand and have never built one of these cabs before, but you'll probably have to put the driver in diagonally.

Front view:

Side view:

(Wood is 18mm birch ply)

Hope it helps someone.

Cheers,
Angus

Thanks

-------------
DAILY CRISIS

Posted By: Gfoster
Date Posted: 27 January 2014 at 1:22pm
I certainly like the look of the X1's will these work well with a top for band/theatre work?

Posted By: Daily Crisis
Date Posted: 27 January 2014 at 2:10pm

Front view:

Side view:

(Wood is 18mm birch ply)

Hope it helps someone.

Cheers,
Angus

Where can I get 18mm birch ply from?
(in the UK)

Is there any other woods I can use?

-------------
DAILY CRISIS

Posted By: all bass
Date Posted: 27 January 2014 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by Daily Crisis Daily Crisis wrote:

Where can I get 18mm birch ply from?
(in the UK)

Is there any other woods I can use?
B&Q ?!

Posted By: nigelhoff
Date Posted: 19 April 2017 at 7:56am
the link to the sketchup draw of this is dead understandably. Anychance someone could reupload it?.

Keen to see if a

P.Audio P180/2241MkIl will fit??

Thankyou

Date Posted: 05 June 2017 at 11:30pm
I have been building two X1's letterbox. i am loading them with P180/2241 mkII they are a really tight fit. i will upload some pics when im done.

Date Posted: 05 June 2017 at 11:33pm
photos below:

Date Posted: 05 June 2017 at 11:34pm
https://ibb.co/bMexVv -

Date Posted: 05 June 2017 at 11:36pm
https://ibb.coP0Mqv -

Posted By: ellm
Date Posted: 09 March 2020 at 8:36pm
Sorry to jump in on this old thread. I'm new to the forum.

Just wondering how these cabs perform frequency wise in comparison to the original X1s? I'm looking to build a similar pair but with flared ports (to be loaded with Void V18-1000s).

Many thanks:)

Posted By: Noyzmunky
Date Posted: 09 March 2020 at 10:35pm
they should be the same. same volume, same ports and port length. just the shape changes. I have not A/B tested though.

-------------
my name is Inigo Montoya...you killed my father, prepare to die!.

Date Posted: 23 March 2020 at 4:00pm
Brill, thank you!

Date Posted: 23 March 2020 at 6:52pm
Could anyone tell me if this design will work? I'm very new to speaker design so haven't fully grasped how flared ports affect things... I've seen a similar design on the build guide section of this website but with just the front port flared. Many thanks!

https://photos.google.com/search/_tra_/photo/AF1QipNR01U4DoDxbgB_4Y2vpaiwAv1rqZAWCHDiNpUx - https://photos.google.com/search/_tra_/photo/AF1QipNR01U4DoDxbgB_4Y2vpaiwAv1rqZAWCHDiNpUx

Date Posted: 23 March 2020 at 7:23pm
<< The total vertical height is 536mm btw

Posted By: DMorison
Date Posted: 24 March 2020 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by ellm ellm wrote:

Could anyone tell me if this design will work? I'm very new to speaker design so haven't fully grasped how flared ports affect things... I've seen a similar design on the build guide section of this website but with just the front port flared. Many thanks!

https://photos.google.com/search/_tra_/photo/AF1QipNR01U4DoDxbgB_4Y2vpaiwAv1rqZAWCHDiNpUx" rel="nofollow - https://photos.google.com/search/_tra_/photo/AF1QipNR01U4DoDxbgB_4Y2vpaiwAv1rqZAWCHDiNpUx
Your link seems to be demanding I sign in to google, which isn't great.

Please could you post the image on ImgBB, Imgur etc and post the link here so we can all see it?

Date Posted: 24 March 2020 at 12:48pm
Sure, sorry here you go!

https://ibb.co/9nLf3hQ -

Posted By: al_x
Date Posted: 28 March 2020 at 8:16am
It looks like a letterbox version of the K bin which Rog designed. 
Any idea of advantages of a flared port?

Date Posted: 28 March 2020 at 1:54pm
It does look very similar actually! The flared ports are for aesthetic reasons in my case but I'm also looking for something that would play around 35-80hz. This is why I based it on the letterbox X1 design but I'm just starting to realise how precise these things are. The K bin is tuned quite a lot higher than I need but looks incredibly similar to my eyes. I've got a lot to learn!

This might be getting towards a post for another thread, but can anyone tell me a way of working out the tuning frequency of my design? I have WinISD but I'm pretty clueless as to how the chamber and port volume in that relates to the actual dimensions of my model.

Posted By: Lito J
Date Posted: 08 June 2020 at 11:37am

Hi everyone. what is the measurement of this?
Thank you very much

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net