URL: https://forum.speakerplans.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=26807
Printed Date: 29 March 2024 at 10:37am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: xtros vs Turbo TMS
Posted By: drivebycar
Subject: xtros vs Turbo TMS
Date Posted: 14 May 2009 at 4:48pm
Hi all,

I am hopefully getting some puns soon, and have decided on a couple of options to cover things from 100Hz up. Xtro's or Turbo TMS 2/4/5.

I wanted to know the pro's and cons of both including sound quality, cost, availability etc etc etc.

Xtros vs Turbo's

GO!

Big smile

Replies:
Posted By: VPAS
Date Posted: 14 May 2009 at 5:17pm
The mid bass on the xtro's is brutal

but i find the highs on the tms range cleaner + better for hires

2p

-------------
n^2 modulo -P = number wang

Date Posted: 14 May 2009 at 5:23pm
brutal as in good? or brutal as in ear bleeding?

Another thing I wanted to know is how does the kick bass fare up on both? As there will be no dedicated kick bin, one of these badboys has gotta pump!

Posted By: Lawaaiige buur
Date Posted: 14 May 2009 at 5:53pm
I have 4 x-tro's and i've heard them several times next to the tms 4, Mid/high from both are quite similar, but the 18" in the tms4 is just a little too large to give a proper midbass. The x-tro gives a much clearer midbass sound.

The tms3 sounds much better, but the total construction of the cabinet is crap, while it would do better when you place it on the side, but then the hf horn is vertical..

Posted By: Tedski
Date Posted: 14 May 2009 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by Lawaaiige buur Lawaaiige buur wrote:

The tms3 sounds much better, but the total construction of the cabinet is crap

I find it to be quite a masterpiece actually.
Why is it crap?
It's heavy, not crap...

Date Posted: 14 May 2009 at 7:21pm
because there's a middriver at the bottom.. try and stand in front of it :S

Date Posted: 14 May 2009 at 7:56pm
But if i had punishers high enough to clear headheight with the tms?

Date Posted: 14 May 2009 at 8:10pm
then they are ok.. but still quite heavy :P

Posted By: will_i_am
Date Posted: 14 May 2009 at 8:50pm
I believe Seizure has a pair of tms4's and some tms2's ready for sale.. Tms4's definitely will give you the kick you need in the midrange, and go down to 45Hz and the 2's 65hz

Date Posted: 14 May 2009 at 9:00pm
Well they only need to get to 100hz for the puns so thats all good Smile

Question is would you rate them over the xtros?

Posted By: Tedski
Date Posted: 14 May 2009 at 11:03pm

because there's a middriver at the bottom.. try and stand in front of it :S

I have a couple of TMS3s.

Why would I stand in front of it?
I like stereo Wink

Posted By: Saul
Date Posted: 14 May 2009 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by drivebycar drivebycar wrote:

brutal as in good? or brutal as in ear bleeding?

Another thing I wanted to know is how does the kick bass fare up on both? As there will be no dedicated kick bin, one of these badboys has gotta pump!

basically oli, i know you boys are well into your techno, hardtek, etc, so your going to want BRUTAL kick. Xtros will deffo give you this. Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 14 May 2009 at 11:47pm
I use one x-tro on 2 hd15's and 2 186's. And this gives a real brutal (and clear!) kick. Especially while the they're crossed at 90/160/300 

Date Posted: 15 May 2009 at 10:06am
Yeah definately want some hench kick but will prob play quite a range of tunes.

i.e. Techno, Hardtrance, Psytrance, Drum and Bass, Bassline Garage etc

Date Posted: 15 May 2009 at 10:22am
it depends, what you want the system for really. if its just for you and your mates to put on parties id say get the xtro's if you wana hire it out then go for the turbo's

also, id sugest crossing thepuns at 90Hz if your mid will meet it there (both sugested cabs will)

-------------

Date Posted: 15 May 2009 at 2:31pm
Probably more throwing parties with mates, but hire is an option as well.

Posted By: Autograff
Date Posted: 15 May 2009 at 4:34pm
VPAS's pun/turbo combo sounds very nice but wouldn't hurt to have alittle more kick , either will do IMO.

Date Posted: 15 May 2009 at 5:21pm
yep. personally think the mid is lacking considerably but ours are tms-5's (with a 12" mid-bass driver), i think the 2's or 4's would keep up much better.

ive allways been a bit disapointed that we didnt go for the xtros but we have got alot more work because of the turbo badge. venues we put it in always reffer to it as the turbosound rig... so we dont correct them ;) i think it makes them feel better about the in house systems being put to shame!

-------------

Date Posted: 15 May 2009 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by VPAS VPAS wrote:

yep. personally think the mid is lacking considerably but ours are tms-5's (with a 12" mid-bass driver), i think the 2's or 4's would keep up much better.

ive allways been a bit disapointed that we didnt go for the xtros but we have got alot more work because of the turbo badge. venues we put it in always reffer to it as the turbosound rig... so we dont correct them ;) i think it makes them feel better about the in house systems being put to shame!

i find this a bit of a shame really - to get work you need cabs with a badge on. Cry

Posted By: Autograff
Date Posted: 15 May 2009 at 6:14pm
A badge or a well known name do tend to help.

My mate had his rig refused when it turned up at a night because it was DIY not name brand , would have put most systems to shame too , oh well , he got half the money for nothing.LOL

Date Posted: 15 May 2009 at 6:23pm
yeah that sucks. That's the thing is quite often the DIY system CAN be much better. 

I'm Shocked that he just had it outright refused because it was DIY, thats just a joke. 

Posted By: cravings
Date Posted: 15 May 2009 at 6:29pm
if they hadn't been interested enough to find out what it was before.. then yeah.. that's very odd.

Posted By: pfly
Date Posted: 15 May 2009 at 6:37pm
Properly built, setup and run DIY rig can and will kick misconfigured branded rig's arse.

Date Posted: 15 May 2009 at 6:51pm
Yep. I won't say our rig is more brutal as a turbo rig, but certainly not less. But if u don't put proper drivers in and amps on a diy set, this will never work.

I just got 2 camco vortex 6 amps for my 4 xtros and 8 hd15s but i havent tried them yet, but i think then i can say my rig kicks a turbosound rigs ass :)

Date Posted: 15 May 2009 at 6:56pm
LOLhaha - just thought - so the club owner would have chosen this over say 4x X1, 4x HD15, 2x MT121. 

Posted By: shadow1
Date Posted: 08 July 2009 at 12:39am
What i find strange is that a lot of the gigs i go to where there's an artist & band live on stage is that there are no badges on the cabs, & some of them look distinctly "home made" but the sound quality is up there with the name brands. So i think it's a bit of snobbery on the behalf of the venue manager.

-------------
Smile, the worst is yet to come.

Posted By: subbass
Date Posted: 08 July 2009 at 12:56am
Make your own brand?

whack some grills on that badboy and slap on your 'own' brand .. they'll never know Tongue

Date Posted: 08 July 2009 at 8:24pm
yeah too right, thats what i'm doing on my cabs now. routed logos in the side and some alluminium badges on the grilles. 

Posted By: shadow1
Date Posted: 08 July 2009 at 8:42pm
I might just give that a go, get a badge stamped with a capital  it & when they ask what make cabs are those mate i'll say a word that starts with the letter. DB = Dogs B-llocks ! Smile

-------------
Smile, the worst is yet to come.

Posted By: Sibulus
Date Posted: 08 July 2009 at 9:35pm

Yep. I won't say our rig is more brutal as a turbo rig, but certainly not less. But if u don't put proper drivers in and amps on a diy set, this will never work.

I just got 2 camco vortex 6 amps for my 4 xtros and 8 hd15s but i havent tried them yet, but i think then i can say my rig kicks a turbosound rigs ass :)

Do you not find the 15inch section of the X-tro covers pretty much the same freq band as an HD? Would've though it was a case of either/or rather than both. What do you run them at, if you don't mind me asking?

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/judas-beast

Date Posted: 08 July 2009 at 10:49pm
Originally posted by Sibulus Sibulus wrote:

Do you not find the 15inch section of the X-tro covers pretty much the same freq band as an HD? Would've though it was a case of either/or rather than both. What do you run them at, if you don't mind me asking?

Yes, well i never really had a decent amp to power the xtro's bass section, that's why i build some hd's for under it. Now i have the 2 vortex 6's and i use them on the hd's from 90hz to 160hz, then the xtro's from 160hz to 300hz. Gives a really deep and powerfull kickbass :)

But without the hd15's the rig sounds very well too, only it misses some height.

Posted By: Sibulus
Date Posted: 09 July 2009 at 1:10am

Originally posted by Sibulus Sibulus wrote:

Yes, well i never really had a decent amp to power the xtro's bass section, that's why i build some hd's for under it. Now i have the 2 vortex 6's and i use them on the hd's from 90hz to 160hz, then the xtro's from 160hz to 300hz. Gives a really deep and powerfull kickbass :)

But without the hd15's the rig sounds very well too, only it misses some height.

cool. personally I would think that only running the x-tros from 160 up is not using them to their full potential. each to their own but having run both hd's and x-tros in different rigs, i would stick to just using the 15inch section of the x-tro from 100 up.

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/judas-beast

Date Posted: 09 July 2009 at 10:51pm

The xtros do very well on their own and don't really need the hd15's, but the hd15's only go up to +/- 180hz, while the xtro's are still nice at 300hz. Because we play tekno/hardcore mostly, the rig is ok with both the speakers. For live music it has a little too much midbass.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net