Date Posted: 13 March 2010 at 10:51pm
Sunday 21st March is the date of the shootout at

The Village Hotel
Castle View
Forstall Road
Maidstone
Kent
ME14 3AS for satnavs DOORS OPEN 7.30-11PM FREE ENTRY

Tony Wilkes will be doing a demo of three separate speaker systems designed and built by him, and available for home assembly from plans with BMS drivers, all powered by the latest lightweight Matrix amps. Bass will be handled by XP 5000, mids/top/mids by UKP 2100 and comps by UKP 1300. there will also be a public test/shootout between his new 2x12 bass bins and commercially available single or double 18's. Will the 12 outgun the 18's ? Maybe, but come along and judge for yourselves. Further details if you PM tony or email ajwilkes@talktalk.net.
Also on demo will be examples of of the full Matrix amp ranges ,which will be available for sale at trade prices to members of this Forum and SEDA Members only on the night. Matt ( Sinfinity ) will be on hand doing the demo's and answering any questions about the amps. There may also be a couple of new surprises on show. Further details from Matt by PM or email matt@ukamp.co.uk

Other exhibitors are DEnon Professional with their latest DJ kit, PCDJ with the new OOVJ system and Advanced Event Designs with their Deckstand Booth Micro. Our retailer for the night is CRS1/Enretainment House. Add to that SEDA Sop( cables/leads etc ), Second Hand table ane SEDA raffle, there should be something there for everyone.

So come and join us , bring some dosh and have a great time.

SEDA ( South Eastern Discotheque Association ) www.seda.org.uk

Cheers

Ian

-------------
Protect your hearing, and feel the music.

MU South East Roving Safety Rep.

Replies:
Posted By: Heathrow_B_line
Date Posted: 13 March 2010 at 11:00pm
PLEASE can tony bring so BMS coaxial HF's to this!

I really want to hear these

-------------
Produce a killer sound. Take no prisoners.

Posted By: Tekasis
Date Posted: 14 March 2010 at 11:00am
Originally posted by Safetyman Safetyman wrote:

DOORS OPEN 7.30-11PM FREE ENTRY

Is this opening time a.m or p.m?

Originally posted by Heathrow_B_line Heathrow_B_line wrote:

+1

-------------
**Heavy Weight-Line**
A home without books is like a body with no soul.

Posted By: Safetyman
Date Posted: 14 March 2010 at 5:17pm
Hi Guys,

Its 7.30pm until 11.00pm( ish )

System 1 -  Twin 8inch mid-tops with Twin 12 inch bass cabs. Powered by Matrix XP 5000 bass, Matrix UKP2100X Mids and UKP 1300X on Comps.

System 2 - Twin 12 inch + Comp boxes powered by Matrix UKP 2100 Bass/Mids and UKP 100X Comps.

System 3 - Twin 12 inch + Comp boxes Mid/Tops with Twin 15 inch Bass Bins powered as System 1.

Cheers

-------------

Posted By: Jake_Fielder
Date Posted: 14 March 2010 at 5:42pm
This sounds good!
I might attend, its a tad far but if i get some people together it'l be an alright trip

Posted By: Tony Wilkes
Date Posted: 14 March 2010 at 5:43pm

I will not have enough time to demo the Co-Axials but there is a new design utilising 4 x 12" drivers and a Neo co-axial which will be finished in the near future. This would be available for demo's if required.

Tony

Posted By: Heathrow_B_line
Date Posted: 14 March 2010 at 5:44pm

oh that is a real shame

-------------
Produce a killer sound. Take no prisoners.

Date Posted: 14 March 2010 at 5:54pm

oh that is a real shame

Come and have a listen to the 4552nd comps instead. I guarantee that when you see the physical size of these little buggers (crossed at 1.2K) they will have you shaking your head. Smile

Tony

Posted By: dlyxover
Date Posted: 14 March 2010 at 6:33pm
i wish i could get down to have a listen

-------------
In the Truth there is no news, and in the News there is no truth

Posted By: tallmike
Date Posted: 14 March 2010 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by Tekasis Tekasis wrote:

DOORS OPEN 7.30-11PM FREE ENTRY

Is this opening time a.m or p.m?

ConfusedBig smileBig smileDead

Posted By: tallmike
Date Posted: 14 March 2010 at 9:13pm
Can his bass bins take proper power or is there a limit?

Posted By: Dom
Date Posted: 14 March 2010 at 9:48pm
Hmmm...  Would really like go and finally hear all those boxes, but why Maidstone and why so late?  Anyone local know of any cheap hotels?

-------------
"It sounded like a million fire engines chasing ten million ambulances through a war zone and it was played at a volume that made the empty chair beside me bleed."

Date Posted: 14 March 2010 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by tallmike tallmike wrote:

I believe the 2x12 can take the full output of the XP 5000......

-------------

Date Posted: 15 March 2010 at 7:07am
Originally posted by Dom Dom wrote:

Hmmm...  Would really like go and finally hear all those boxes, but why Maidstone and why so late?  Anyone local know of any cheap hotels?

Dom,

Might have a seat available in the van if you are interested, would mean a late journey back but at least you could kip until we got back to the West Midlands.

Tony

Date Posted: 15 March 2010 at 7:48am
Sounds like a winner...

-------------
"It sounded like a million fire engines chasing ten million ambulances through a war zone and it was played at a volume that made the empty chair beside me bleed."

Posted By: tweeter box
Date Posted: 15 March 2010 at 9:17am

really? sounds good

whats the deal on the matrix amps, will they be available for purchase on the day? looking for one of the smaller ones

-------------
PRECISION SOUND SYSTEM.

Feeding the peoples needs for Roots Music.

Strictly premium grade reggae and dub steppers from the early 70's to present day.

Date Posted: 15 March 2010 at 9:34am
Originally posted by tweeter box tweeter box wrote:

really? sounds good

Not quite, the 12" drivers are 600w each so 1200w for the cab. My XP5000 gives out around 1800 watts into 4 ohms so is perfect for the x1.5 rule. They are happy to run with the clip light flickering all night.

They need all this power though because the downside is they have low efficiency as a result of trying to get the extension in what is a pretty small box 70L.

They should keep up with a decent reflex loaded 18" driver, perhaps losing out a couple of hz in extension but around the same output  125db cont.

There is a term used in Hi-Fi that describes perfectly what I was trying to achieve with these boxes "slam" which always seems missing in large P.A. subs. have I achieved it?

Tony

Date Posted: 15 March 2010 at 10:21pm

whats the deal on the matrix amps, will they be available for purchase on the day? looking for one of the smaller ones
[/QUOTE]

There will be amps for sale on the night including the UKP 2100X's, if that is what you require.... ?

-------------

Date Posted: 22 March 2010 at 5:28pm
Good to finally get to hear those boxes....

Now does anyone know where I can pick up active QSC stuff and some Bose 802s???

Ta

Dom

-------------

Date Posted: 22 March 2010 at 10:03pm
Fantastic sounds on the night, and thanks to Matt & Tony for the demo's. I can't believe that such a small system makes such a big tight sound, and all home-built too.Can't wait for the 4x12 bins, or the 8x8 bins ?

Hey Dom, can you give me some idea how much you charge for making the boxes( shells ), please ?

-------------

Date Posted: 23 March 2010 at 5:54am

Fantastic sounds on the night, and thanks to Matt & Tony for the demo's. I can't believe that such a small system makes such a big tight sound, and all home-built too.Can't wait for the 4x12 bins, or the 8x8 bins ?

Hey Dom, can you give me some idea how much you charge for making the boxes( shells ), please ?

Thank you Ian, and thanks to all at SEDA for making us feel very welcome. It is always good to get praise for your efforts and makes all the time stuck in my little shed feel worthwhile.

You had to feel for the guy demoing the active QSC's after though, he got the short straw Cry .

Tony

Posted By: Marvin
Date Posted: 23 March 2010 at 9:29am
Any pics from the night?

Posted By: Forward Motion SS
Date Posted: 27 March 2010 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by Marvin Marvin wrote:

Any pics from the night?
+1 with the pictures!!

Date Posted: 27 March 2010 at 5:23pm
Cheers Tony. Shame I limited you all to 90 db, I know. But at least we did not get any complaints from the hotel guests as far as I know. Would have liked to hear them at higher output for comparison with others that I have heard. Some speakers sound fantastic above a certain volume( say 100db ) than others that sound good below this. The EV ZX 3 and SX 300 are a case in point. The 300 sounds ok up to normal levels but horrible when pushed, whereas the ZX is stunning at higher levels of volume. I reckon yours just go on getting louder and louder and still sounding superb. There was a lot of interest in the 2x12 bins from what I gathered.
Yes, the QSC sounded tame in comparison, coming as it did later in the show. There should have been two stacks for a fair comparison.

I would be interested to know what the feedback was between Matt's single stack and your 3 stacks ?

Matt is posting pics next week, some of his and some of mine when he receives the CD I sent him. I have not found a way of posting pics with my iMac, despite viewing all the info elsewhere on this forumEmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassed

-------------

Posted By: Sinfinity
Date Posted: 27 March 2010 at 5:25pm
Thanks Ian, no problem, pics going up as soon as I receive the CD.

Cheers
Matt

-------------
Matt at ukamp dot co dot uk

Date Posted: 27 March 2010 at 5:31pm
Blimey, Matt that was a quick reply!. CD should arrive on Monday by snail mail.

-------------

Date Posted: 27 March 2010 at 6:57pm

Cheers Tony. Shame I limited you all to 90 db, I reckon yours just go on getting louder and louder and still sounding superb. There was a lot of interest in the 2x12 bins from what I gathered.
Yes, the QSC sounded tame in comparison, coming as it did later in the show. There should have been two stacks for a fair comparison.

I would be interested to know what the feedback was between Matt's single stack and your 3 stacks ?

Ian as we were judging quality the levels were just about perfect, I reckon close to the speakers we were at about 110db peak and that was perfectly OK for me. My days of wanting to listen to 110db+ are long gone.

All I can say about the other stack is that the owner is now selling it and buying some of the new designs Smile

There has been quite a bit of interest in both the double 12" subs and the double 8" mid-tops.

Thanks again,

Tony

Posted By: minaximal
Date Posted: 29 March 2010 at 12:10am

I have not found a way of posting pics with my iMac, despite viewing all the info elsewhere on this forumEmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassed

can you not just upload from mac to http://www.imageshack.us/ - http://www.imageshack.us/ ,  then click the small picture of a tree (insert image) in message reply and paste the url given to you from imageshack..

sounds like an interesting day.

-------------
Subs + Barges = :)

http://www.metaacoustics.com" rel="nofollow - www.metaacoustics.com

Posted By: Boogiehead
Date Posted: 04 April 2010 at 5:48pm
I've decided to make the small system. Like Tony said, it had me shaking my head in disbelief. So much so I decided to make the small rig and I've never built a cab before in my life. I hope I can build it as good as Tony's. I'm gonna use it for small functions and should go well with the music (Soul/Funk/Boogie). But man, I couldn't believe the sound! 

-------------
Bangin' The Boogie!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net