URL: https://forum.speakerplans.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=46240
Printed Date: 28 March 2024 at 8:43am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Omega pro 18 in turbo THL 828?
Posted By: Bassaddict
Subject: Omega pro 18 in turbo THL 828?
Date Posted: 10 December 2010 at 11:53am
a club round these parts has had its dj's blow aup all 6 THL 828'
i knew there was somthing a miss with some of them so the club manager asked me to open them up and have a look.

turns out some of the cab have;
original Fane drivers
Original PD drivers in the newer ones

but some have eminence omega pros in them
now the instal company is saying you cant get the original drivers any more and they are the closest match!

opinions please from someone more experienced with these than me.

oh by the way the hatch's dont sit quite flush with the omegas in. hence where my susspicians first started

cheers

-------------
The only good system is a sound system.

Replies:
Posted By: bass traffic
Date Posted: 12 December 2010 at 7:13pm
Well first of all if the hatches don't close with the omegas then you shouldn't use those.
The Fane drivers will be your cheaper option for replacement but they won't have the same xmax as PD so not as good for horn loading.
Which PD drivers are they?
Your best bet is probably to recone the Pd drivers and buy some more to match them.
Then, get a limiter like a Formula Sound AVC2 or a Drawmer (can't remember the model) and this will stop your djs from blowing them again.
Also check the frequency that you have on your eq and get rid of the very bottom end as this is just using up power and probably won't make any difference to the sound, also if your amps have hi pass filters then stick them on that way you are getting more power to the areas that you need it in.

Date Posted: 12 December 2010 at 7:14pm
Just noticed you are from the north east, which club is it? I live in newcastle.

Date Posted: 13 December 2010 at 10:43am
riverside

aint my install aswell so at the moment weve got nothing to do with the system setup.
the main reason there blowing is they have a macrotech powering the turbos that is going into limit at -16db;

1: because it is on a 16a supply (as far as im aware they pull 29a full belt)
2: because i reckon they have the sensitivity set wrong on the XTA

I told the club from day one the turbos arnt going to last very long, im supprised they lasted this long to be honest!

-------------

Posted By: Djdarch
Date Posted: 13 December 2010 at 12:28pm
From experience of the sonic sounds ma828 ( Same cab) the fane xb's work very well in these boxes, i know peops say its not for horn loading but the xb's were in the cabs for over a year and took some real abuse. Was very very impressed. You do have to remove the heatsink off the fane to get them in!!

+ its bollox saying the drivers aren't available, turbo will supply them or recomend an alternative it would not be an omega if you cant even get the hatch on

Posted By: cravings
Date Posted: 13 December 2010 at 2:04pm
http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/audioequipment/1735386 - These are in dublin, are expensive, and i don't know if they're the right ones.. but someone may be interested.. maybe he'd ship.. no idea who it is.

Posted By: Calculus
Date Posted: 13 December 2010 at 3:58pm
@ Bassaddict Do you run a rig in town then?

-------------
Always a compromise, You can't have everything...

Where would you put it all.

Date Posted: 13 December 2010 at 4:01pm
oh and i;d guess that the celestion ftr would maybe be a good driver for these but, fane or pd get my vote.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 December 2010 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by Calculus Calculus wrote:

@ Bassaddict Do you run a rig in town then?
Yeah I'm just over the road at Stein, I have my rig in the back room there. You should pop over, got loads of dnb and dubstep on this sat.
Can't believe the people running the cotton factory night that lasted 2 weeks tried to claim it was a 26,000 watt sound system in there! LMFAO!

edit:
Just realised you said bassaddict when i thought you said bass traffic, must learn to wake up quicker!

Date Posted: 13 December 2010 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by Bassaddict Bassaddict wrote:

riverside

they have a macrotech powering the turbos that is going into limit at -16db;

1: because it is on a 16a supply (as far as im aware they pull 29a full belt)
Definitely nowhere near enough amp power and not enough electricity. Especially since 3 subs parallel will be 1.33ohms and likely blow most amps.
You'd be surprised at how little power speakers pull compared to what they should I'm running my rig off a 16A supply and it's fine now the manager has stopped turning on his kettle and heater at the same time on the same circuit!

Date Posted: 13 December 2010 at 10:57pm
Yeah man I know you... I was asking him...

-------------

Date Posted: 14 December 2010 at 1:40pm
You know me aswell calculus.
Bought a bose 302 from you years ago.

i spend most of my time tweaking designs and not pushing them as a system.
havnt got time to do my own gigs at the moment as i work for a hire company.

oh and just checked with turbosound and the replacement PD drivers are £750 EACH!!! RIP!!!

-------------

Posted By: Djdarch
Date Posted: 16 December 2010 at 10:48am
I can get a 45% discount at turbo but even then those drivers are way too much. Cheapest option is gonna be fane xb , althouth the pd186 is known to work very very well in these boxes and might be worth the extra cash.

Date Posted: 16 December 2010 at 12:50pm
i get oem prices with pd so defo worth a look then

-------------

Posted By: tv00
Date Posted: 01 February 2017 at 5:49pm
Whow, just sumbled upon this old thread, it's possible to get almost all turbo drivers & kits!
So the install company talks bullshit!

It shouldn't be no shelf fane / pd driver as turbo uses their own kits, they should have a turbo badge on the back. Not saying nothing else will be good in there, but that takes some simulations / testing, also resale value drops down. SAVE THE ORIGINAL DEAD DRIVERS!

I was surprised to see that this box comes with both fane & pd, wait a minute ...
That's the SECOND LIE! first driver in this box LS-1804 is PD frame, I believe the newer LS-1809 is also PD, what "install" company is this???

-------------
www.facebook.com/babysoundsystem

Posted By: ReubGold
Date Posted: 02 February 2017 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by Djdarch Djdarch wrote:

From experience of the sonic sounds ma828 ( Same cab)

I always thought that, till I bought THL 818s.

When I had Sonic MA828, I could fit almost any driver in there I wanted, simple drop in and bolt.

In my THL 818s, Fane won't fit in there, unless magnet cover removed, and even then, needs to be carefully angled in. Shocked

-------------
If he turns me into a zombie, first person I'm coming after is you.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net